Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

homemade plate holders for powertec rack

• 22-02-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Trying to find a way of organising plates other than strewn around the garage floor I came across this:http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack-plate-holder.html

Where would I get those parts to make a few of those holders , I have tried a Local plumbing shop with no luck, any ideas?

Anyone have any success with diy plate holders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

based on that pic you need

1" gb cap

piece of 1" gb threaded each end ( lenght is determined by the depth of the squat rack boxing )

1"x1.25" gb reducing socket

piece of 1.25" gb threaded each end ( length is your own choice here )

1.5" marlay sleeve ( the white bit. lenght determined by above ^ )

1.25" cap

this is for 1 holder so if if you want 1 each side of your rack, well maths and all that

for someone who knows what they are at its handy enough, dont know what part of the country your in but there shouldnt be an issue getting that gear in a plumbing providers

cool idea btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Emmet7980

Wow, I didn't expect someone to get back to me with a precise shopping list! Great stuff Thanks alot.

The rack is 2.5" box I think, and I'm in galway/ballinasloe area I can't think of any major plumbing providers near me but there must be one in galway, I tried a local hardware without much luck.

One question , what is "gb" is that plumbing speak for a type of pipe ? Or a brand?

Thanks for your help ,

And 1 other thing , you say 1.25" for most of those fittings you listed whereas he doesn't use that size at all any reason for this?
    Sorry my plumbing and pipe knowledge ends at fixing a leaky tap!

Thanks again

gb = gunbarrel pipe / mildsteel tube is the same thing

2.5" box, you should get a 4" extended nipple ( a type of fitting ) and a 1.25" lock nut which will give you a really tight fit on the rack.

one thing though, before you buy, check that all the pipe sizes fit in all the holes on the rack and your plates, especially that the end cap

im not a culchie but if theres a heatmerchants near you thats where to go :)

actually yeah, follow his sizes ! mine are probably over sized

• Advertisement

Fair play, I think there's a mcmahons in town I'll try there. Thanks again I'll let ya know if I get them made!

Well, im having trouble finding the 1" x 12" nipple for this, caps and reducer No problem,3 Places I tried couldn't even point me where I could get one that size :-/

Found them online on hydravalve in the UK for a couple of quid each and thought great! Then I see that postage is 65 quid lol .

Also see them on eBay but wont ship here, balls.

Proving trickier than I was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Emmet7980 wrote: »
    Well, im having trouble finding the 1" x 12" nipple for this, caps and reducer No problem,3 Places I tried couldn't even point me where I could get one that size :-/

Found them online on hydravalve in the UK for a couple of quid each and thought great! Then I see that postage is 65 quid lol .

Also see them on eBay but wont ship here, balls.

Proving trickier than I was expecting.

Parcel motel gets round most uk shipping issues

Tigger wrote: »
    Parcel motel gets round most uk shipping issues

But they only pick it up in Antrim and bring it to topaz down here yes? It's £45 to get it to Antrim in the first place.

Well I'm in castlebar and if you can find the parts I'd like to make four of them and I'd split the price and shipping what's the cost to ship more does it stay the same ? I can get a pallet from the uk for cheaper than their prices
    Also I'm gonna look here for the parts how many are you hoping to make?

• Advertisement

I think plumbers might lengths of gunbarrell and thread them themselves

The £45 was shipping for all the parts to make 4 of them , not sure how much for less/more.

The parts came to £29 for everything to make 4.

Im pricing an engineer neighbour of mine to see how much to make me a basic plate holder that will fix to the back of my rack, something like the plate holder on the back of the rack in the image I linked below.

The £45 was shipping for all the parts to make 4 of them , not sure how much for less/more.

The parts came to £29 for everything to make 4.

Im pricing an engineer neighbour of mine to see how much to make me a basic plate holder that will fix to the back of my rack, something like the plate holder on the back of the rack in the image I linked below.

im gonna make that
    i'll post pics when its done

Nice work!! Haven't got round to mine yet , did you make it yourself.? Any welding involved? Died it get in the way of any lifts or you're lat attachment?

Nice work!! Haven't got round to mine yet , did you make it yourself.? Any welding involved? Died it get in the way of any lifts or you're lat attachment?

lots of welding, yeah i made it, cost 7 euro for the two bolts and about 10 for the steel
    nope its handy there
    this thread was my inspiration to tidy my plates so thanks

Advertisement