Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical services engineering

Options
  • 22-02-2014 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi I'm doing my LC this year and filled in CAO and everything. Basically being an electrician has been something I'd been keen on, but I know there's not much going on in terms of apprenticeships or jobs, I don't have HL maths so I was looking at doing DT009 or DT010 and working up to DT021.
    I'm just basically wondering what kind of work these courses can lead to and what similarities/differences (if any) are there between these and becoming an "spark".

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you plan on doing DT021 then DT009 would be a far better choice as the subjects covered align far better. It would take 5 years to obtain a level 8 honours degree by going this route.

Someone with DT021 under their belt would be considered an electrical engineer, not an electrician. Graduates of this course would often find themselves in a design and / or management type role and would rarely if ever be using any tools. Earning potential would vastly exceed that of an electrician.

On the other hand "sparks" works as an electrician and as such is a trade (i.e. you work on your tools). An electrician will have served a 4 year full time apprenticeship. During the 4 years approximatley ¾ of the time will be spent on the tools on site (often assisting a qualified electrician) and the remaining ¼ will be spent in college learning some electrical theory as well as a little practical training. Unlike the courses mentioned above the maths does not go beyond pass leaving certificate level. For more information about this trade have a look here.

I hope this helps.
    I served my time as an electrician and graduated from DT009.
    If you have any questions feel free tom PM me.

Advertisement