Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating a website

Options
  • 22-02-2014 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend has a website for his business which he got professionally developed some years ago.

I have been programming with a while and he asked me if I would be able to modify a part of it for him, I said I would investigate the idea, the first thing that came to mind was who 'owns' the code for the site and how would I get access to it?

What are the issues around this sort of thing?

He paid for the site to be developed but does he own the code for the site??

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

consult the contract he would have with the original developer to see who owns the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

consult the contract he would have with the original developer to see who owns the code.

Thanks, I'll get onto him. He is not a man for paper work, so I know he would have to get onto the company for the contract.

Is it usually the case that the company would own the code or is it completely specific to each contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

completely depends on the contract and what he signed.

"he's not a man for paper work" doesn't sound like this will end well at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

completely depends on the contract and what he signed.

"he's not a man for paper work" doesn't sound like this will end well at all...

He is not a man for paperwork but he is no fool either. We'll see what happens thanks.

Advertisement