Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suitable grain bag

Options
  • 22-02-2014 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, venturing into extract brewing. And I'm wondering if there's anything suitable I could use as a grain bag for steeping. I bought a nylon bag for the hops but it's too small for all the grains. I'm thinking would a pair of tights work, obviously sterilised beforehand. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

calnand wrote: »
    Hi guys, venturing into extract brewing. And I'm wondering if there's anything suitable I could use as a grain bag for steeping. I bought a nylon bag for the hops but it's too small for all the grains. I'm thinking would a pair of tights work, obviously sterilised beforehand. Any ideas? Thanks

A few of these fellas would do the job, I was able to get just over a kilo of grains for steeping with ease.

IMG_5245.JPG?format=300w

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I used to get mrs C buy a supply of cheap (inexpensive not..) hold ups, as I weighed out the steeping grains in bowls and then you put the rubber bit on the bowl edge to empty the grains in, tire a knot and cut off the rubber before steeping

Regarding sterilising, you don't need to sterilise anything before you boil your wort, it's just anything after the boil you need to keep sanitised

Advertisement