Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri forum relay teams

Options
  • 22-02-2014 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Would there be any interest in forming a few relay teams from these parts, and target one race this summer for the head-to-head fun of it? I was thinking maybe getting a few Boards Tri forum relay teams going against each other, just for the smackdown banter and a bit of competition of the day. I'm totally open to suggestions regarding format, but perhaps targeting one centrally located race (thats not an obvious individual goal race), everyone who is interested maybe sign up for swim/bike/run as they see fit, and teams are either picked randomly or by handicap.

Beers/sleepover afterwards, the emphasis would be on the social side of things. Would anyone be interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Definitely interested, work etc allowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dammit!!!! :( I want to play!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Dammit!!!! :( I want to play!!!!!

Nothing stopping you. Bring chocolate please, I'm all out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah would be on for it, for the craic

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Hmmm i might be interested....as long as I don't get the run. Would you be thinking mixed or same gender teams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hmmm i might be interested....as long as I don't get the run. Would you be thinking mixed or same gender teams?

Totally open to suggestion- if people had an idea of a Boards team that they wanted to put together, or one of the same gender, or whatever... that's all good. The main thing (if there's enough interest) is that we can pick a race that suits the most, get a few teams entered from here, and let the smackdown talk begin!:D

Anyone got any ideas for suitable races? Preferable, I guess, something that people aren't targeting as an NS or NC race...

What about Hardman? (Killarney 23rd Aug)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

*keeping head below parapet*

How about completely randomising the selection process? Pick the event, names into a hat and draw straws for the team members and which leg they take? That way it would be good craic and less focus on the uber competitiveness that would otherwise be in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

i'd be up for it as long as its not too far away and i dont do the run or the swim and the other half allows me :D:D:rolleyes:

Can I do the bike leg? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Id be interested.. in swim or run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Haven't done a tri since 2012 but could probably lash out a leg of swim or bike, can I play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Anything but the swim and i am in.

Seems like there is a fair bit of interest, would I be wrong in thinking the consensus so far is for people selecting what leg they prefer, and being allocated a random team?

Got this suggestion PM'd to me, its another way to have a relay within the main race...
    Your idea for the relay race, this might be another way to organise something and still let people race their own race. I've heard of a couple of clubs who run a notional relay race like this and it seems a good idea to me. http://www.trilanesboro.com/2013/07/25/lanesboro-tri-club-race-teams-lord-of-the-dring-sat-27th-july/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

idealy to pick whatever legs suits, i wouldnt like to burden anyone with my swimming

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Trig1 wrote: »
    i'd be up for it as long as its not too far away....... and the other half allows me :D:D:rolleyes:

+1

If you're looking at long distance would Shadowman not be more suitable than Killarney?

If you're looking at long distance would Shadowman not be more suitable than Killarney?

Certainly more central, although there are two NS races on that weekend.

Fixing on a race that suits the most will be difficult, if anyone has preferences shout them out, and maybe we can organise a poll of suggestions later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Seems like there is a fair bit of interest, would I be wrong in thinking the consensus so far is for people selecting what leg they prefer, and being allocated a random team?

Got this suggestion PM'd to me, its another way to have a relay within the main race...

This other option KG posted allows us to use any race that loads are attending. Take Lough Cultra for example. Big crew from here racing. Random draw of people and disciplines, so only one section of your race counts for your notional relay team, and you still get to do the full race yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I think full IM distance is a push even for relay teams and might turn off a lot of people.

Most of us will manage a Half but a Full might be too much. Just IMHO.

BTH wrote: »
    This other option KG posted allows us to use any race that loads are attending. Take Lough Cultra for example. Big crew from here racing. Random draw of people and disciplines, so only one section of your race counts for your notional relay team, and you still get to do the full race yourself.

Well, if there's a big enough crowd that are already signed up for Lough Cutra Standard, lets give this idea a whirl (nothing to stop Boards targeting another race afterwards too). Random teams, you will get allocated a random leg, total team time counts for places(T1 and T2 excluded). Put your name down below if you're in:

Lough Cutra Standard Relay-sign up for random relay place
    Kurt Godel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

BTH wrote: »

Okay....fantasy triathlon just popped in my head. Don't know how it's actually done in football, but maybe something fun to consider in the future??

Advertisement