Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpronator to Natural Runner

Options
  • 22-02-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Need Help!!!

I've been running a lil over 3 years now and like most I was over pronating and needed runners with the appropriate support. But as time went on I naturally picked up your typical running injuries...Heel spurs, ITB etc. without any coaching on the matter, I started focusing on a mid/fore foot strike because I believed a rear strike was putting too much pressure on my knees.

Got my gait done again there recently and was told that I've gone to a more natural running technique particularly with my foot striking ground directly under my hip. Apparently the typical runners for over pronators are of little benefit to me now but they couldn't make any recommendations in terms of minimal ones cause I still need some pronation support.

Any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I find pronation support to be a pile of ****e, to be honest. Was told that I overpronate on Elvery's gait analysis, recommended Kayanos, etc.....bulky shoes are useless to me, can't run in them at all.

If you wanted something a bit more minimal (but not ACTUAL minimal runners), I find Saucony Kinvaras to be class, as well as some of the Adizero range (though they're very narrow, you'd probably need to go up a size).

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Get gait analysis done in a proper running shop where they CAN & WILL make a recommendation as to what shoes you should be in !

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Raighne

Need Help!!!

I've been running a lil over 3 years now and like most I was over pronating and needed runners with the appropriate support. But as time went on I naturally picked up your typical running injuries...Heel spurs, ITB etc. without any coaching on the matter, I started focusing on a mid/fore foot strike because I believed a rear strike was putting too much pressure on my knees.

Got my gait done again there recently and was told that I've gone to a more natural running technique particularly with my foot striking ground directly under my hip. Apparently the typical runners for over pronators are of little benefit to me now but they couldn't make any recommendations in terms of minimal ones cause I still need some pronation support.

Any ideas???

Pronation is part of the natural movement of the foot and the less you interfere with that the better - it is the outcome of what posture, rhythm and muscle relaxation you have whilst running. Overpronation is a problem but it's a result of incorrect posture and rhythm causing an overly side-footed or heel-landing (i.e. what has to roll out, has to roll in ) so you have clearly already modified that to some degree since your foot strike has changed.

To assess your movement correctly you need to be filmed from the side at at least 60 fps. When you only film the feet from the back you do not get the full picture - you only see the end result of your movement (foot strike) - not what movement caused it.

Advertisement