Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trek 6.9 vs canyon aeroad

• 22-02-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

him guys , just wondering would anyone have any advice or view on which would be the better bike between a 2013 trek 6.9 or a 2013 canyon aeroad , they both are new and the trek would be coming with a full dura ace 7900 groupset and the aeroad wil be coming with a sram red groupset ,
    id be using the bike for just a3 club racing , anyone got any advice for me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

The Canyon is an aero bike, the Trek is more built for comfort. Both can still be ridden very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kaiser007

yeh i know that and iv also saw both frames in the flesh but im wondering just has anyone maybe ridden both and maybe if one was more suited to modest club racing here in ireland which would it be

Neither is more suited than the other. Plenty of lads will fail to win on both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Canyon is a much better looking bike, IMO.

Very little between them otherwise.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

For what its worth a friend who id regard as an excellent bike handler/decender has a 2013 Aeroroad - he`s had loads of good bikes before too- anyway HE doesn't like the handling of it at all. Understeers according to him.
    He bought a Giant TCR advanced a few months ago and its way better to handle. Purely subjective im sure but there you go for what its worth.

• Advertisement

thanks for that ,, its something to think about ,, funny enough some of the reviews on the canyon say its very quick but unless you set the rake correctly it can have some issues how it handles ,, im not sure but i think you do this by turning the drop out on the fork and that sorts it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

There are spacers in the drop outs i believe with three settings. apparently very easy to change. I'm ordering one next week i think

yeh im kinda leaning towards the aeroad myself ,

actually how does the aeroad compare to the sworks venge both being aero frames

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

If you have not looked all ready. Check canyon outlet. Got my bike from the outlet, older frames but price was very good. Came with di2 which if I went with the 2014 frame I would not have had the cash.

• Advertisement

BadCharlie wrote: »
    If you have not looked all ready. Check canyon outlet. Got my bike from the outlet, older frames but price was very good. Came with di2 which if I went with the 2014 frame I would not have had the cash.

Yeah I checked that nothing in my size.

With regards the Venge the spec is much better on the canyon for same price. most venge have 105 at the same price range the canyon has Ultegra. For me Ultegra most reliable group set so Im shooting for that, plus with 11 speed gives you upgrade opps.

kaiser007 wrote: »
    actually how does the aeroad compare to the sworks venge both being aero frames

Where are you in the country and whens your timescale for ordering? Welcome to come see mine first if your willing to wait? I presume it'll be maybe 3-4 weeks before mine comes ill be ordering next friday.

Just make sure on the size you check both 60cm or XL, they are both the same size but you get different line up of bikes. Of course do it in what ever size u are.

yeh elnino that would be great thanks , iv seen an aeroad at an event the end of last summer but did not really pay to much heed to it cos i was not in the market for a bike at the time ,, let me know when ya get it and il defo go and have a look ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ks141

Life time guarantee on the frame of the trek. Very hard to beat that. Just had a six year old frame replaced with a new higher spec frame.

yeh elnino that would be great thanks , iv seen an aeroad at an event the end of last summer but did not really pay to much heed to it cos i was not in the market for a bike at the time ,, let me know when ya get it and il defo go and have a look ,

No problem, as I say I should be ordering next friday so I assume 3 weeks ish.
    Been sat here all evening reading reviews, watching youtube videos etc and phoned buddy who is training with some semi pros in spain, both of which had both canyon ultimates and an aero each not sure why but he said they love them. He said Aero is a real breakaway bike good for lonely miles which suits me perfectly as I'm not in any club and I do miles alone as I can only get miles in mid week. He reckons cos I'm not that powerful the flex in the aero I won't even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

I have a 2013 Aeroad with Ultegra, very comfortable on any of the Irish roads I've raced on.
    The setting on the fork rake is easy to alter, I use the tightest setting which corners and descends perfectly. I did experiment with the more relaxed rake setting, and yes, this definitely makes cornering a lot more challenging.

A side note on the SRAM Red vs Shimano. I have SRAM Red on my other bike but the Ultegra, in my opinion, wins hands down for smooth gear change, reliable change and precision.
    I haven't had to adjust my rear mech in the year that I have the Aeroad.

So, with that in mind, the Aeroad that comes with Ultegra is cheaper than the SRAM Red, and I THINK the Di2 ultegra is cheaper than the SRAM Red too(but dont quote me on that).
    Canyon do a crash replacement scheme where if you crash and smash up the frame in the 1st year you get a discounted price off a replacement frame. The discount diminshes for year 2 and 3 but you still get a discount during the 3rd year, but hopefully you'll never have to avail of it.

Ken1975 wrote: »
    I have a 2013 Aeroad with Ultegra, very comfortable on any of the Irish roads I've raced on.
    The setting on the fork rake is easy to alter, I use the tightest setting which corners and descends perfectly. I did experiment with the more relaxed rake setting, and yes, this definitely makes cornering a lot more challenging.

A side note on the SRAM Red vs Shimano. I have SRAM Red on my other bike but the Ultegra, in my opinion, wins hands down for smooth gear change, reliable change and precision.

So, with that in mind, the Aeroad that comes with Ultegra is cheaper than the SRAM Red, and I THINK the Di2 ultegra is cheaper than the SRAM Red too(but dont quote me on that).
    Canyon do a crash replacement scheme where if you crash and smash up the frame in the 1st year you get a discounted price off a replacement frame. The discount diminshes for year 2 and 3 but you still get a discount during the 3rd year, but hopefully you'll never have to avail of it.

I was starting to doubt my choice but you've help me decide thanks.
    How easy was the set up out of box? Was going to pay a local store to put together but the unboxing vids look like all the cables are run you just attach the bars?

elnino23 wrote: »
    How easy was the set up out of box? Was going to pay a local store to put together but the unboxing vids look like all the cables are run you just attach the bars?

Actually, I've seen Ken's bike in the flesh and it is sweet. I know in another thread that I said I don't normally like aero bikes but the Canyon (and Ridley and Venge) is one of the few which I make an exception for. You will love it.

Took me 45min to one hour to build my bike from canyon. And I'm no expert.

• Advertisement

elnino23, it took less than 20 mins to get bike assembled. Gears & brake cables are ready to rock n roll, all u need to do is tighten stem to forks, adjust saddle, put pedals on (all with thanks to a torque guage supplied), put wheels on and then go for a spin. Simples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

elnino23, it took less than 20 mins to get bike assembled. Gears & brake cables are ready to rock n roll, all u need to do is tighten stem to forks, adjust saddle, put pedals on (all with thanks to a torque guage supplied), put wheels on and then go for a spin. Simples

You've forgotten about the ten mins that you spent hoping around the box in excitement before and the posting pics on facebook after ken. That counts too!

It's a sweet ride though, your one. I was SO close to buying one before I settled on the Cervelo R3 SL. Only for it was out of stock in my size, I could have been the "secret A1" rider from the training logs forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You've forgotten about the ten mins that you spent hoping around the box in excitement before and the posting pics on facebook after ken. That counts too!

It's a sweet ride though, your one. I was SO close to buying one before I settled on the Cervelo R3 SL. Only for it was out of stock in my size, I could have been the "secret A1" rider from the training logs forum!
    Nah you couldn't keep a secret that long. There would be pics on Facebook

him guys , just wondering would anyone have any advice or view on which would be the better bike between a 2013 trek 6.9 or a 2013 canyon aeroad , they both are new and the trek would be coming with a full dura ace 7900 groupset and the aeroad wil be coming with a sram red groupset ,
    id be using the bike for just a3 club racing , anyone got any advice for me

So just to calrify, you're willing to spend €4,200 on this CF 9.0 machine (https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3297) with SRAM Red and Reynolds Assault Wheels.

Again, and this is my opinion, the Shimano Groups (Dura Ace and Ultegra) are better than SRAM.

So are you considering this one, the CF 8.0 SL for €3,999 (https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3298) with Dura Ace and Cosmic Carbone SLE's

or

The CF 7.0 €3,199 (https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3300) with Ultegra Di2 with Ksyrium Elite S.
    I still think that this is the better value for money, and for your current needs "a3 club racing "

If you were hell bent on getting Deep Section wheels you'd still have €1,001 change (had you bought the CF 9.0) to go get something else yourself.
    What I would say is the Mavic Ksyrium Elite S are really good wheels, especially for our Irish roads...and if you bought your own deep sections these would be your spare wheels :eek:

Anyways, just my little bit of input. Have fun deciding...and keep us posted yeah?

Kens thinking is same as mine I'm buying the 2499 version. Ultegra nice and reliable and I can Buy wheels with the left over cash it I decide I need (want) them later.

Sat here with everything in my basket waiting for the money I transferred to the credit card to clear so I can order! :eek:

Nice.
    Enjoy it mate.
    Which wheels you going with?

If you decide to race any A3 open races in Leinster this season give me a shout and say hello, i'll be wearing Swords gear.

Just the standard Mavic kysiriums. I won't be racing this year so no point spending the money and trashing carbon wheels. Hoping to get up to speed this year and maybe do some racing next year. At that point I will buy some Carbon wheels.
    I've a lot to learn before I Start racing but this is the start of that process.

rode a 2013 canyon aeroad belong to a mate of mine yesterday and must say im very very impressed , had it in wicklow for the day , its defo quick across the ground and climbed really well for an aero frame , that was the only bit i was worried about how it would climb cos lets face it some aero frames just dont handle the hills so well , also he has his rake angle set in tight and there were no issues at all decending . i think my mind is defo made up on it and il be ordering one ,, thanks for all the advice guys ,,

rode a 2013 canyon aeroad belong to a mate of mine yesterday and must say im very very impressed , had it in wicklow for the day , its defo quick across the ground and climbed really well for an aero frame , that was the only bit i was worried about how it would climb cos lets face it some aero frames just dont handle the hills so well , also he has his rake angle set in tight and there were no issues at all decending . i think my mind is defo made up on it and il be ordering one ,, thanks for all the advice guys ,,

Nice one Good luck.
    Which Spec you going for?
    Ordered mine last week.

• Advertisement

Mine Came Yesterday! What a piece of kit!!!!

Hi ken Sorry quick question. when you say your rake is on the tights setting do you mean the agile setting? just need to change mine now it appears to be in the stable setting

im not sure what the wording is on the settings but its the tightest setting as far as i know , in other words it would take the front wheel back in closer to the bike ,,, ordered my own so should have it by end of the month ,,

Hi ken Sorry quick question. when you say your rake is on the tights setting do you mean the agile setting? just need to change mine now it appears to be in the stable setting

Hi,
    It should have defaulted into the setting that has the front wheel closest to the Bottom Bracket. The more relaxed setting moves the wheel away from the BB.
    As was mentioned by another post, I cant recall the terminology (Aggressive, Agile...??).

I didnt have to change anything when I got mine. I did however test the more relaxed setting which I didnt like.

Have a look at this , picture 5 is the setting I have
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/supportcenter/article.html?supportcenter_articles_id=219

Hope this helps.
    Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Just to hijack this thread slightly - is the aeroad significantly racier than the CF SL? If it's not for racing, would the CF be a better choice at €300 less for the same spec (Ultegra 11sp)?

Just to hijack this thread slightly - is the aeroad significantly racier than the CF SL? If it's not for racing, would the CF be a better choice at €300 less for the same spec (Ultegra 11sp)?

so Im assuming you're comparing :

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

with

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3301

Not sure what the term "Racier" actually covers. Both good frames with very similar geomarty (Aeroad has a slightly longer Top Tube), so I dont know if there is a "Significant" difference other than one is an Aero Bike, one isn't.
    The Ultimate CF SL would probably be slightly stiffer but speaking from experience, the Aeroad is "Significantly" stiff and responsive, if thats any use to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

so Im assuming you're comparing :

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3241

with

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3301

Not sure what the term "Racier" actually covers. Both good frames with very similar geomarty (Aeroad has a slightly longer Top Tube), so I dont know if there is a "Significant" difference other than one is an Aero Bike, one isn't.
    The Ultimate CF SL would probably be slightly stiffer but speaking from experience, the Aeroad is "Significantly" stiff and responsive, if thats any use to you.

Yup, comparing those two linked. I'm wondering how much of a difference that extra cm of reach makes to my position on the bike and whether the aero frame is worth the extra money, and decrease in comfort. Given I probably won't be racing it, I suspect that I may be better off with the CF.

Aeroad looks gorgeous though.

Thanks Ken,

Must add how hilarious I found it that when looking through the extra stuff i got with my Awesome Aeroad last night that it came with Bell and reflectors!!!!

My two year old now has the coolest bell in the street on his balance bike!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

Mine Came Yesterday! What a piece of kit!!!!

Sorry to bring the thread off-topic, but how long were you waiting between placing your order and it being shipped? Assuming you went for an in stock model, of course. I ordered mine (Ultegra Di2 with the double crankset, in stock) early last week and have yet to hear anything about shipping. I just want my bike!

When i ordered mine i think it was a sunday night. Only left the factory the following friday & onces it left the factory it took about 4 days to get to me.

Sorry to bring the thread off-topic, but how long were you waiting between placing your order and it being shipped? Assuming you went for an in stock model, of course. I ordered mine (Ultegra Di2 with the double crankset, in stock) early last week and have yet to hear anything about shipping. I just want my bike!

I ordered on the 26th and it arrived on the 11th. 14 days? Any time I emailed them they replied within an hour each time, Just pop them a mail.

I ordered on the 26th, got the Full confirmation on the 27th.
    I emailed them on the 4th for and update and they replied saying it would be the end of the week or the monday but then the next day I got the despatch notification. took 5 days from leaving canyon to get to me.

If they despatch on the monday you'd get it in 3 days id say its just the weekend got in the way with mine

• Advertisement

macgratheoin ,,,, i think the ulitmate cf slx rather than the basic cf model would prob be a better option , its not an aero frame but is lighter and stiffer and supposed to be a better climbing bike , i hope this helps

Went out today in the gorgeous sunshine for my first ride.
    Took it easy just to run every thing in but wow!
    I was a bit nervous on the first decent but quickly realised it handles like a dream in the agile rake!
    My old cube handling was brutal compared to this by the end of the 45ish km i was sticking it round corners at pace and it was solid as a rock, goes exactly where you want it too.
    I don't know what other bikes of this price range handle like as I never ridden them but this thing is just so responsive.
    I was taking it easy as I didn't want to stress everything on the first ride but I averaged 28km on the route that I used to average 26km when I was pushing my old bike.
    Really noticeable that the bike just doesn't lose momentum, As soon as you go up a gear and put some power down it explodes and you can quickly gear down and spin and maintain the pace with ease.
    I took a massive amount of time of my pb on strava on a climb here in cobh and wasn't really trying so it climbs well too.

So delighted with it!

macgratheoin ,,,, i think the ulitmate cf slx rather than the basic cf model would prob be a better option , its not an aero frame but is lighter and stiffer and supposed to be a better climbing bike , i hope this helps

Kaiser Did I see you at the fort to fort with a new shiny Aeroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

When you buy a bike from canyon is there any hidden cost like vat or custom charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

jackstaff wrote: »
    When you buy a bike from canyon is there any hidden cost like vat or custom charges

No.

You pay for the bike box and delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

Hey Guys, Just checking that you're still impressed with the aeroroad 2014? Looking at a second hand one tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭butterworth

terencemc wrote:
    Hey Guys, Just checking that you're still impressed with the aeroroad 2014? Looking at a second hand one tomorrow

Haven't really had any problems with mine that weren't my own fault in one way or another, aside from the seat post clamp breaking. Canyon replaced it fast enough. The Ksyriums are 10000km old now and are starting to show their age, but this is to be expected.

Overall a very good bike, it's just a tad high on the proportion of proprietary components.

Advertisement