Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i want to ride a 50cc scooter - i passed theory test - what do i do next?

• 22-02-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all, hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
    I would like to ride a 50cc scooter. I passed my theory test for motorbikes and scooters today. I also have a regular learner permit, but am yet to do EDT.

Do I need to do the motorbike course if it is a 50cc I want to ride, or is this geared more for motorbikes and there is something else I need to do for 50cc?

Trying to see what's next. Any advice appreciated! Thanks all :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

metime wrote: »
    Hi all, hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
    I would like to ride a 50cc scooter. I passed my theory test for motorbikes and scooters today. I also have a regular learner permit, but am yet to do EDT.

Do I need to do the motorbike course if it is a 50cc I want to ride, or is this geared more for motorbikes and there is something else I need to do for 50cc?

Trying to see what's next. Any advice appreciated! Thanks all :-)

Apply for your learner permit & then complete IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

Roadcraft wrote: »
    Apply for your learner permit & then complete IBT.

I think 125cc might be the better option after doing some research here.
    Thanks for the reply! Thats what I thought just wanted to confirm as doing slme maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even if you only want to ride a 50cc I'd get the highest class permit you can. As unless you're hooked on a 50cc,or even worse a Moped, you'll soon find yourself getting bullied into the gutter unless you are very assertive on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭metime

Del2005 wrote: »
    Even if you only want to ride a 50cc I'd get the highest class permit you can. As unless you're hooked on a 50cc,or even worse a Moped, you'll soon find yourself getting bullied into the gutter unless you are very assertive on the road.

Hi Del2005, thanks for the response!
    You seem to know what you are talking about so I am just wondering could I pick your brains for a minute?

I like quality but I do not want to break the bank. Since reading up on the CC I am interested in, I have decided a 125cc might be my best option. 50cc seems like bad option, and moped a no no. The prices of those are good, but I think it would be a mistake and I would regret not getting the 125cc pretty much straight away.

I am looking for something for the summer, I will be going from A to B and picking up groceries, and maybe a bit of sightseeing when the weather is nice. That's the plan anyway :-) There will be some long distance travelling if the 125cc will allow - do you think it would, or would it be recommended for shorter journeys? Does it matter?

Do you think or have any experience to help me out here- I am wondering if it is possible to get a decentish 125cc scooter, with a helmet and chain lock, and a full tank for €1000? ......Am I dreaming? That obviously does not include the IBT which I would do seperately.

I am new to this area of things....any help would be very much appreciated and I would be very greatful for your time in responding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Your budget is quite low but i don't know the price of 125 mopeds.

I would budget for the follwing
    120 euro boots
    300 euro pants and jacket
    90 euro helmet
    50 euro gloves

You can pick up decent budget gear at them prices. If you're living in Dublin then Cotters will help you on this budget.

I buy a lot of my gear from sportsbikedirect.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/117246

I bought this combo and it was really good but not my size. In the end I found a nice jacket from cotters for the same price but without the pants. Order much bigger pants if you are ordering online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You should check out donedeal, adverts and gumtree for second hand gear. At one stage all of my gear apart from my helmet was second hand. Now my jacket and helmet is new. The rest is from bikers selling their gear for one reason or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

metime wrote: »
    Hi Del2005, thanks for the response!
    You seem to know what you are talking about so I am just wondering could I pick your brains for a minute?

I like quality but I do not want to break the bank. Since reading up on the CC I am interested in, I have decided a 125cc might be my best option. 50cc seems like bad option, and moped a no no. The prices of those are good, but I think it would be a mistake and I would regret not getting the 125cc pretty much straight away.

I am looking for something for the summer, I will be going from A to B and picking up groceries, and maybe a bit of sightseeing when the weather is nice. That's the plan anyway :-) There will be some long distance travelling if the 125cc will allow - do you think it would, or would it be recommended for shorter journeys? Does it matter?

Do you think or have any experience to help me out here- I am wondering if it is possible to get a decentish 125cc scooter, with a helmet and chain lock, and a full tank for €1000? ......Am I dreaming? That obviously does not include the IBT which I would do seperately.

I am new to this area of things....any help would be very much appreciated and I would be very greatful for your time in responding.

The biggest issue when starting out is going to be what you can afford to insure after you buy it, pedending on your age it could be a more than the bike and gear. A 125 is ok for around town or relatively short commuting. If you plan on touring a 250 would be more comfortable. Though some people do huge mileages on the smallest bikes.

For gear you can pick up most stuff 2nd hand BUT make sure you get a new helmet. You have to get your head measured before you buy a helmet and then try on a good few brands to see which fits you best. Have a look at the UK SHARP test for helmet ratings, it's not the best but it's independent.

With €1k you'll struggle to get bike and gear, you may even struggle to get a decent bike on its own for €1k. Make sure to get someone who knows bikes to check over a bike before you buy, don't matter if private or dealer.

Good luck and don't forget that Initial Basic Training is what it says on the tin, you'll need more lessons to keep yourself safe.

Advertisement