Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game License Application

Options
  • 23-02-2014 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

I considering getting my first shotgun but I'm a little unsure what exactly is required in order to get a game and clay shotgun license from reading the FCA1 form.

If I require a game license and shoot the odd clay can anyone clarify what exactly i need to do before I submit the application form.

Thanks,
    jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

There's no 'game license'. When applying for a firearms license you must show a valid reason for owning a firearm. For shotguns valid reasons would be for hunting game / vermin and/or clay pigeon shooting.
    For hunting only, you need land permission in writing from a landowner with suitable land. For clays only, membership to a claypigeon club will suffice. I do both so I have both membership and permissions, remember no land permission means any hunting on any land is poaching and trespass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

You need 2 written permissions of farmers with land. Add these with your fca1 and submit your app. Done this way you can now hunt on the land you have permission for which can be extent ex by getting more permission.

If you join a range till will allow you to get your license but something is telling me you won't be able to hunt then. Unless you tick both boxs for your reason for applying. Ie hunting game and I think it might be target shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Why did I bother

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When applying you tick the box(es) in section 4.2 that apply to your application. So if it's hunting you tick hunting, if it's target work you tick target shooting. If it's more than one you tick anything that is applicable.

If you tick hunting you must provide permissions for the land you intend to shoot on, or for target shooting membership details of the range you are a member of. For both you provide both.

A "hunting license" is implied with the granting of the certificate. This only applies to game species (and vermin) that have a non license season. IOW game that does not need a separate license to hunt them during the appropriate season. Deer would be the exception. You need a separate license to hunt them so your firearm certificate does not cover you to shoot them.

For target shooting you provide the details of the range, and range membership details in section 4.3. As a shotgun shooting is not classified as target shooting the details may be different as it does not need the same authorisation as a rifle range (afaik). How exactly that works i don't know as i'm not a member of a shotgun only range.

When applying for any gun you need to give the reason why you want the gun (hunting/target shooting), and the permissions for the place where you shoot it (range off permissions/gun club).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement