Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st shotgun for clay shooting

Options
  • 23-02-2014 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey
    Just looking for some advice on a shotgun,

Im 24 ,5"6 and medium build ive started clay pidgeon shooting and love it and am now purchasing a gun the thing is I dont no which one to buy ive 1000€ or so .Any suggestions? !
    Thanks
    Lee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The only way to pick one is to go to a dealer and see which one's fit you. People could name you makes and models here but none might fit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 leeol

Blay wrote: »
    The only way to pick one is to go to a dealer and see which one's fit you. People could name you makes and models here but none might fit you.
    Hey
    Thanks fir the speedy reply
    I tried that but found it very hard to no which "fits" and was wondering is there a preferred model that clay shooters use ?!

You'll have to bring somebody experienced with you to help you pick one that fits. If it doesn't fit you it won't be shooting where you're looking.

There's no one model that clay shooters use, all depends what fits, your budget etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

leeol wrote: »
    ... is there a preferred model that clay shooters use ?!

Even clay shooting has different types of shotguns. Sporting guns of 28 inches multi choke will suit sporting clays. Trap guns with 30 inche barrels choke in 1/2 and full with a high comb suits DTL. 26 inch barrels and very open chokes known as Skeet are perfect for thosr high and low fast moving left and rights of the Skeet range.

Who are you shooting with? If its friends try as many of thier guns as possible, if its a professional range, ask them for different models and makes as well.

You need to meet up with some one who knows about gun fit to help you. Also its advisable to get some lessons and practice so that your mounting skills are consistent this will help in determining gun fit.

There are some good instructional videos on you tube which will give you a good idea on the basics of gun fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 .308

If your looking for a real claybuster , it boils down to fit don't underestimate this fact . its little to do with brand although the Brownings and Beretta's ect. are very well made shotguns and do gain respect at the shooting ground . they will do little for you if they don't fit . length of pull , weight and barrel length all have a big say on gun fit . GOOD GUN FIT = DUST !!!!. The gun should feel as natural as your arm our leg . 28 grams is regulation so your phsical size has little to do with it ( little recoil ) I once shot with a browning ultra xs a beautiful shotgun trouble was it didn't fit me and and soon became an expensive toy . I now shoot with a Benelli a third of the price of the Browning but fits me like a glove . With a budget of 1,000 euro your in a good position to purchase well !! but don't rush off . Any club will have members only too willing to let you have a shot of the various models have an idea of what you might like first .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

is it trap or sporting your shooting if it's sporting get a multi choke sporter as a game gun will be too light I would recommend berretta 682 gold e with the new 692 version out now it would be in your price range lot big competition won with it and the most popular gun on the shooting range

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

landyman wrote: »
    is it trap or sporting your shooting if it's sporting get a multi choke sporter as a game gun will be too light I would recommend berretta 682 gold e with the new 692 version out now it would be in your price range lot big competition won with it and the most popular gun on the shooting range

I agree with your choice of shotgun Landyman but if you can find 682 Gold E's for €1,000 will you pick me up two of them :):):)

Thanks foe all the info guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭landyman

They started in production in 2000 he get an early one for that give Paul o halloran a buzz or go private I had one for sale on here for months at 1200 didn't sell I was told I was asking too much it was a 2007 mint

landyman wrote: »
    They started in production in 2000 he get an early one for that give Paul o halloran a buzz or go private I had one for sale on here for months at 1200 didn't sell I was told I was asking too much it was a 2007 mint

How much did you sell it for in the end ?! Is there much of a problem buying privatly 2nd hand? ? Weres paul o halloran or has anyone his number?!

• Advertisement

Find some dealers close to you and go and see what they have, where are you based?

Also how many times have you been out shooting and what disciplines?

Find some dealers close to you and go and see what they have, where are you based?

Also how many times have you been out shooting and what disciplines?

I've been about 10 times over the past 2 year to courtlough ! Not sure exactly what disciplines was clay shooting all the time ! I'm based in kimmage but can travel really anywere :-)

leeol wrote: »
    I've been about 10 times over the past 2 year to courtlough ! Not sure exactly what disciplines was clay shooting all the time ! I'm based in kimmage but can travel really anywere :-)

Are you planning on joining Courtlough? They're a RFD so if you were joining they would probably help you pick a gun and try a few before buying.

Are you planning on joining Courtlough? They're a RFD so if you were joining they would probably help you pick a gun and try a few before buying.

I joined on Saturday mate :-) yea I just wanted to make sure im getting a good gun for a good price amd not getting ripped off or anything :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Don't be afraid to shop around, Courtlough isn't the cheapest RFD in the country!!! Every RFD in the country should have some nice sporters in stock!!!

Maybe see what you can try to see what suits you then when you have a rough idea of what brand and model of gun you want you can shop around then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

What type of gun/guns have you been shooting with already. If you are shooting well with a particular type then you should chase up one of them new or secondhand

Advertisement