Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptop battery won't hold charge

• 23-02-2014 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi guys confusing one I'm hoping someone might know how to fix.

Recently acquired a compaq cq61 laptop that I've refurbished and am selling on. As part of this (budget conscious) process, I replace the battery. The one I bought is a Lenoge replacement from Amazon that came with decent reviews.

There's a problem though, the battery wouldn't charge originally when I plugged it in and laptop would only run on ac power. The battery indicator would just stay at 0 or 1% but say "charging" without that value changing. I updated the Bios and the charge value steadily increased as expected. Thinking I'd fixed the problem, I removed the ac power to let it discharge for calibration. Almost immediately the laptop shut down to preserve itself as it does when the battery reaches a critical level.

What's interesting though is that after this happens, the laptop won't turn on without ac power being plugged in. However, if I plug in the charger and start to boot and immediately remover the charger again, it works away as normal on supposedly "0% battery". It can run for a long time in this state without shutting down.

It seems to me that the laptop is not interacting with the new battery so thinks there's no charge and it has to shut down to protect itself. Clearly the battery is being charged as it can run for a normal amount of time when doing the work around I described.

If the battery charges until it is "full" it will immediately shut down when ac power is removed while Booted to Windows.

Any and all ideas very welcome, there must be a solution to this!

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 redeog

I had a similar problem with a replacement battery before, i returned for a replacement and the second battery worked fine.

Advertisement