Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model of Dell's Information Age PCs

• 23-02-2014 1:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the model of the PCs that were given to households in Ennis as part of the Information Age competition back in 1999? I would be interested to compare their specs against modern PCs

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

If I was to guess, I'd say something like a Dell Optiplex Gxi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm not certain, but the only model I noticed with a friend was a Fujitsu I think ...... which was quite weak, even for the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/places/infoage/1xmas.htm

Back in the day when ISDN was seen as High-Speed :)

How times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Dell Optiplex GX1 266Mhz/350Mhz
    Spec here
    http://www.jklmicro.com/images/products/OptiplexGX1.PDF

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They were a GX1, if I remember correctly they had a 2gb hard drive, 64 meg RAM and a 266mhz processor, my in laws still have 1 in their house. They were a great thing for the town at the time but they weren't the highest spec'd machines ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭squonk

It'd have been a just slightly low-mid range spec at the time. Not particulary bad but not amazing either. Relatively decent though considering a whole town got them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Anyone still have their visa cashcard?
    4 minutes at the till to buy a mars bar. Those were the days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I still have 1 of the readers, it's a keyring that I use for the shed lock :)

Regarding the PCs, they were a fairly decent office/business PC, there was an issue if you wanted to upgrade the graphics or audio however as there wasn't much space in the box. Also, I remember a storm knocked out a load of modems around town, I spent weeks replacing modems for people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Think Clareman has the right idea there, although I think the one I got only had 32mb ram and I'd to upgrade it. Later on some people had 64 and larger harddrives than 2gig.

Think the main annoyance with mine was it had a 33k modem, which weren't really very commonplace in 1999.

• Advertisement

I think at the very end people got better spec'd machines but Dell tried to make them all the same, I remember running fdisk on a drive and finding that it was a lot bigger than 2gigs but it was just partitioned smaller.

Advertisement