Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi range extenders

Options
  • 23-02-2014 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Recently bought two of the TP-Link TL4220 kit. Wondering how long can they be left in for?

Also, the wifi clone feature doesn't seem to be working on the second extender. I've got one of them hooked up to the modem to broadcast the signal and one extender in one area of my house (which works fine). I've tried to place one upstairs but it doesn't seem to be cloning the wifi settings. Do I have to have a seperate one plugged into the modem as well and paired with the extender upstairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Calling them wifi range extenders is really misleading, this can refer to a bunch of other stuff also. They are powerline networking devices with built-in wifi.

Yes you need both of them plugged in and paired. This creates a network connection through the powerlines. Then it's just a matter of setting the wifi of the new hotspot with the same settings as the old one. Maybe the clone thing doesn't work properly with 3 devices, just set it manually - same settings as the other ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

srsly78 wrote: »
    Calling them wifi range extenders is really misleading, this can refer to a bunch of other stuff also. They are powerline networking devices with built-in wifi.

Yes you need both of them plugged in and paired. This creates a network connection through the powerlines. Then it's just a matter of setting the wifi of the new hotspot with the same settings as the old one. Maybe the clone thing doesn't work properly with 3 devices, just set it manually - same settings as the other ones.

Thank you. Any idea on how long they can be left in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless I'm missing something, can't you just login to the homeplug software that's probably provided, and put the same username/password in for the far one?

Also, you can just leave them plugged in. I have two Devolo ones plugged in for maybe two years at this stage.

the_syco wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing something, can't you just login to the homeplug software that's probably provided, and put the same username/password in for the far one?

Also, you can just leave them plugged in. I have two Devolo ones plugged in for maybe two years at this stage.

You mean the TP-link network that is created?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Read the manual, find out how to configure the new wifi hotspot.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Read the manual, find out how to configure the new wifi hotspot.

Yeah, got it set up. Thank you.

Advertisement