Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Swansea. Not on tv but you know yourself...

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your really negative man. Do you expect to win every game 5-0.

Please don't trivialise the appalling display by being facitious.

Any fan should be able to cast a critical eye over performances without being accused of expecting nothing but easy wins.

Anyone associated with the club, or who supports it even, should be very critical of what see saw today if only for the sake of not repeating such basic errors the next tme around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Finical wrote: »
    I don't. :pac:

Really lucky today though especially seeing as Skrtel should have seen red.

i can see this causing liverpool problems, after Gerrard last time, and now skrtel, and with us playing utd in two gameweeks time which traditionally has a lot of cards given,

any ref hearing after the fact that we have been lucky twice to have a pool player stay on the pitch may be more likely to reach for the red in that game,

on a similar point Suarez will be constantly hacked down by defenders as they know there will be no penalty given,

its going to get much harder for us in the next few games.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

It's Agger and Johnson's first game back in months.

Now they got away with under performing today but 2/3 games time when the big teams come to town if there's a decision to made to play Agger or Toure I know who'd I'd prefer in the backline.

I'm not judging either one just the single game today. Like with Reina, I'm judging them over a number of years. I got a hell of lot of crap for saying Reina was finished a few ago, but it's the same situation all over again.

I've said I was very much open to selling Agger to Barca/City and Skrtel to City when both were linked a couple of summers ago and I stand by that for this summer too. Both are a liability and will always be prone to a massive cock up, likewise Johnson who has been immensely overrated for far too long and has not justified the top full back, ridiculous wages he's on. He offers width, decent athlete and is technically sound. That's it. Crossing woeful, defending woeful and shooting woeful despite getting into great positions. He started his Liverpool career and sprinkled throughout his time at Liverpool are a few very good performances amongst many crap to average ones.

I've not even mentioned the fact Agger and Johnson are crocks too! :pac:

I pray Barca come back for Agger if the rumours are true, maybe City will throw something stupid for Skrtel too. We can use that money and get a non-crock, consistently dependable CB to partner Sakho then.

Johnson.. who knows who'll sign him with his ridiculous wages. Cissokho didn't deserve to be dropped for him today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Lol.

I left out the :P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

noodler wrote: »

Any fan should be able to cast a critical eye over performances without being accused of expecting nothing but easy wins.

Anyone associated with the club, or who supports it even, should be very critical of what see saw today if only for the sake of not repeating such basic errors the next tme around.

Apologizes I'm mixing you up with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I left out the :P:D

That's what the edit button is for :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sakho has looked shaker as hell in his brief time at the club too? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The canary's are singing a song I like at the moment!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Well, the point was we have gotten a lot worse at defending, but have covered it by increased attacking ability and chance creation.

I.e we can't really have it both ways, we need to tighten up, which will mean either changes to team, or covering our out of form back four better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

noodler wrote: »

ah here, getting beat 5-0 or something is normally an appalling display, losing to a division three side is sometimes an appalling display. but beating a resurgent mid table team in a 7 goal game at home is not appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Sakho has looked shaker as hell in his brief time at the club too? :confused:

Think he's been pretty good apart from a 10 minute spell against Man City when he seemed to lose the head and his very first game for the club at Swansea. And that was his first game in English football.

My only worry is he's been out a while and still hasn't played very many games in this league. Tough to expect him to come straight in and be at his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I've said I was very much open to selling Agger to Barca/City and Skrtel to City when both were linked a couple of summers ago and I stand by that for this summer too. Both are a liability and will always be prone to a massive cock up, likewise Johnson who has been immensely overrated for far too long and has not justified the top full back, ridiculous wages he's on. He offers width, decent athlete and is technically sound. That's it. Crossing woeful, defending woeful and shooting woeful despite getting into great positions. He started his Liverpool career and sprinkled throughout his time at Liverpool are a few very good performances amongst many crap to average ones.

Johnson.. who knows who'll sign him with his ridiculous wages. Cissokho didn't deserve to be dropped for him today.

Exactly ... we have in Agger and johnson 2 players that are really good on the ball and that are somewhat different than what we already have - guys when on their day, in great form are a sight to behold - unfortunately we've not seen the likes of johnson flying down the wing and being a constant threat going forward for quite some time now. Agger the same, used to be a threat going forward ... we are now seeing what they truly are - a pair that flatter to deceive, flanagan has made a mockery of Johnson lately with some great displays. We basically have 2 defenders that do not want to defend! Poor on crosses and get bullied too easily. Johnson is englands first choice fullback and the guy is living on past glories for far too long. Needs a kick in the hole and how BR doesn't see that is beyond me.

We've all said for WEEKS now that sooner or later Skrtel will get caught out grabbing attackers like that in the box - nearly cost us dearly today. We just look a shambles at times in the backline ... but when 2 out of 4 of your defenders are bottlers, it is not surprising.

Great win though coupled with the Spurs loss :D 4 points off 1st ... why not have a go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

copacetic wrote: »
    Well we have taken a massive step backward since Lucas got injured. On top of a lack of form at the back all year. Our current formation isn't really working, but to be honest once Lucas got injured I thought our chance was gone. We have coped relatively well by mostly out scoring teams in his absence.

If he was playing today, there is no way we would have leaked so many in my opinion. Our defence needs the protection he provides.

Today I am not sure but in the context of the last few months, I agree that a good DMC would make a big difference - if only to reduce the number of opportunities that our CBs have **** up. Not sure that Lucas is that person anymore but I desperately hope he does get back to the level he was at.

Either way, Lucas hasn't got enough pace or aggression and even if he does come back strong, I would still like a very good DMC signed - dream of a player with Macherano's attributes.

Today was just shambolic defending though and a DMC wouldn't have made much of a difference for the individual goals - would have been a quite a different game though in general so who knows.

Irrespective of that, our CBs have largely been a joke shop for close to 6 seasons now - where it became apparent for me was the first game of 08/09 against Spurs (Rafa's last season I think and immediately after Alonso left).

Even under Rafa, we were suceptible to doing something stupid but we dominated possession so effectivley that the oppositions opportunities were heavily restricted.

Given we have the complely opposite approach these days, we probably need absolutely top class defenders - completely unrealistic to be honest. We may just have to get used to being that bit more exposed at the back that we would like and bank on us keep on scoring.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Today I am not sure but in the context of the last few months, I agree that a good DMC would make a big difference - if only to reduce the number of opportunities that our CBs have **** up. Not sure that Lucas is that person anymore but I desperately hope he does get back to the level he was at.

Either way, Lucas hasn't got enough pace or aggression and even if he does come back strong, I would still like a very good DMC signed - dream of a player with Macherano's attributes.

Today was just shambolic defending though and a DMC wouldn't have made much of a difference for the individual goals - would have been a quite a different game though in general so who knows.

Irrespective of that, our CBs have largely been a joke shop for close to 6 seasons now - where it became apparent for me was the first game of 08/09 against Spurs (Rafa's last season I think and immediately after Alonso left).

Even under Rafa, we were suceptible to doing something stupid but we dominated possession so effectivley that the oppositions opportunities were heavily restricted.

Given we have the complely opposite approach these days, we probably need absolutely top class defenders - completely unrealistic to be honest. We may just have to get used to being that bit more exposed at the back that we would like and bank on us keep on scoring.

True enough, the shambolic own goal and pass to the opposition to score montage tonight on Motd2 did not make for pretty viewing. How much of their absolute panic is down to pressure of being exposed is hard to say. What's clear is that even relatively stable defenders like Skirtel and Agger have caught whatever is in the water. Skittles was never a solid player, but he was reasonably reliable. This year he is constantly about to give a peno away, Toure is too erratic and as for the other options, we all know the problems there. Agger can hopefully get back to form, then what do we do, put Kelly in with him?

Personally I think we have to try something as we all know your luck doesn't hold out long playing like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

copacetic wrote: »
    True enough, the shambolic own goal and pass to the opposition to score montage tonight on Motd2 did not make for pretty viewing. How much of their absolute panic is down to pressure of being exposed is hard to say. What's clear is that even relatively stable defenders like Skirtel and Agger have caught whatever is in the water. Skittles was never a solid player, but he was reasonably reliable. This year he is constantly about to give a peno away, Toure is too erratic and as for the other options, we all know the problems there. Agger can hopefully get back to form, then what do we do, put Kelly in with him?

Personally I think we have to try something as we all know your luck doesn't hold out long playing like this.

I persume Illori and Sakho are in the picture long term.

Would have been an awful waste of the club's dolla on the summer otherwise.

Advertisement