Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Higher Level English 100 mark Composition Topics

• 23-02-2014 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi, I've come up with a few flexible plots for the short story options. One of these is based around a book I read with the same character names but different personalities. Another is very personal but not about me, but it could be if that makes sense.

However the second one ends with a rape. Now it seemed like a brilliant idea at the time but now I'm unsure. Is it bad to put such a disturbing event into a leaving cert essay?

Can you put curse words in too? And can you base it around a book, or is that too dodgey?

If anyone has experienced writing maybe a more "out-there" essay could you let me know how it went down? We're all adults sitting the LC. Surely we can insert topical crimes into a short story?

plmko :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

If it's based on another novel you've read, that's plagiarism. Definitely don't do that I'd say, unless you completely change the main plot. If your story is different then change the characters' names to ensure it doesn't even appear to be strongly influenced by the book you've read.

As for the rape issue, you're treading on rough ground there. The best example I can give is a guy documented a gay experience and it went down terribly with the teacher who is a top corrector. I would strongly discourage you from writing about rape as it is very hard to make such a horrendous incident entertaining or even acceptable. If you got an unfavourable corrector (likely) you could be punished harshly.

Curse words is also something that should be avoided. It shows a lack of vocabulary and it's insulting to some people. You could make it humorous by using uncommon phrases of dissatisfaction if you want the same effect without the use of expletives.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dee15

Not sure about the rest but I know curse words should not be used!

Advertisement