Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2014 in South East Asia

• 23-02-2014 1:28pm

I am planning to take a trip to South East Asian for four months heading on May 1st and returning towards the end of August.

I am hoping to visit Thailand, Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia. Booking it this week.

Does anyone have any suggestion on where to start, what might be a good route to take and where to leave from?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

An easy one would be Bangkok, Chaing Man (maybe some places between), over to Laos, North Vietnam all the way down, Cambodia then south Thailand. Tis exactly what I did except I skipped Laos and went to from South Thailand to Malaysia for about 3 weeks. We did it in three months overall.

You could easily hit up Myanmar (Burma) for a week or two while in Thailand the first time. We regretted not going there. And with 4 months you'll have more than enough time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

If you're flexible with dates I would choose them not in the summer time. It's going to be very warm, humid and rainy.

Still, if those dates are set...

Thailand is a good place to start... great traveller vibe and Bangkok is an energetic and crazy city. The only way into Burma is from Thailand... so if you're going there (Recommended, I really enjoyed it) that could be your second stop. You can get a bus or train to Vientiane in Laos from Bangkok, when you're done travelling there go back to Thailand and cross the land border to Cambodia - Siem Riep and Phnom Penh. You can apply for a Vietnamese visa there and then make your way to Saigon and travel north by train. I did this exact route and then continued on to China and eventually Hong Kong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

I done Thailand, Laos and Cambodia in October of last year solo and absolutely loved it. My advice like most others is to is start in Bangkok. One of the most exhilarating experiences of your life will be stepping off that plane and into this mega city, especially if solo. After that I'd go north into Chiang Mai which is an absolutely beautiful place, which you may find difficult to leave (I did anyway). Check this map out for a good rough guide http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

roro1990 wrote: »
    I done Thailand, Laos and Cambodia in October of last year solo and absolutely loved it. My advice like most others is to is start in Bangkok. One of the most exhilarating experiences of your life will be stepping off that plane and into this mega city, especially if solo. After that I'd go north into Chiang Mai which is an absolutely beautiful place, which you may find difficult to leave (I did anyway). Check this map out for a good rough guide http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-indochina-tour1

Cheers for all the advice. Flying out tomorrow week the 22nd. All excited. Heading to Bangkok for a week then up to northern Thailand for 3 weeks. Over the border into Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back into southern Thailand for the islands.

Going to be travelling on my own mostly but there are some friends of mine teaching English in Saigon for the year so I am going to meet up with them for a week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Cheers for all the advice. Flying out tomorrow week the 22nd. All excited. Heading to Bangkok for a week then up to northern Thailand for 3 weeks. Over the border into Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and back into southern Thailand for the islands.

Going to be travelling on my own mostly but there are some friends of mine teaching English in Saigon for the year so I am going to meet up with them for a week or so.

No problem, and enjoy it, you'll have a blast! Would love to be going again myself tomorrow week, but I've to wait until October. Missed out on south thailand last time so that's my plan for the next trip :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement