Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I clueless? iPhone 3GS and iOS

• 23-02-2014 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

I am so utterly confused and have spent hours trying to figure out what I should do.

I know my iph0ne 3GS is old, and I have bought a new phone (moto G) and a new network I will be changing over my number.

My understanding was I could back up all my info on the iPhone to I cloud, then transfer it to my new android device... Until I tried to do this!

I thought that I first have to update the iOS from 4.2.1 to the newest iOS, then I can backup to iCloud...

However I am stumped! No idea how to do this. I have installed iTunes on PC, connected iPhone to to, but I can't find any option to update it.. Anyone got any thoughts? Can find zero online to help! am feeling incredibly stupid!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

iCloud is only for Apple to Apple devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

can you transfer your contacts into a google / gmail account?
    http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-contacts-iphone-android-186636/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

iCloud is only for Apple to Apple devices.

Here is where I get confused - cause apparently..

If you’ve enabled the iCloud service on your iPhone, your phone contacts have most likely been backed up to your iCloud account. You can then export those contacts into a file that can be imported into Android directly, or indirectly through Google Contacts.

BUT - what I am having trouble with is getting everything onto the iCloud from my old iOS on the iPhone, and I can't seem to be able to update it. It is updating the iPhone that is my problem rather than the iCloud issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What iOS is your phone on?
    In iTunes if you click view-sidebar, you should see your device on the left, click this and it should give you the option to backup, restore, update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If you are switching to the Moto G then you can use Moto assist. This is an example post but there are loads of posts on it http://phandroid.com/2014/01/21/motorola-migrate-update-adds-icloud-transfer-service-for-iphone-users-making-the-switch/

The advantage of this is it also transfers you text message, call history etc not just your photos and contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

IPhone 3GS can't run the latest iOS so you won't be able to update it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

deuceswild wrote: »
    IPhone 3GS can't run the latest iOS so you won't be able to update it

While it's true it can't update to iOS 7, the 3GS can still update to the last iOS supported by the 3GS itself, which is iOS 6.1.6.

Make sure you have the latest iTunes installed, plug in your iPhone 3GS, make a backup of it in iTunes, then update to the latest iOS in iTunes.

Here's Apple's page on how to update your iPhone using iTunes:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4623

Advertisement