Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room sizes for a double bed + furnishing

Options
  • 23-02-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm starting to look into buying my first house.

The property has bedrooms of the following sizes, will these be suitable for a double bed (I appreciate that a King size will be out of the question, but that is fine):

BEDROOM (1):10' 10" x 9' 3" (3.30m x 2.82m)
    BEDROOM (2):10' 8" x 10' 5" (3.25m x 3.18m)
    BEDROOM (3):7' 0" x 6' 7" (2.13m x 2.01m)

Bedroom 3, I can only see as access point to an attic room or a study.

Would only a small double (48" x 75") be suitable for room 1?

Would I be able to fit a standard double (54" x 75") into room 2?

Bearing in mind that each room will need to include its funishings (bedside tables, chest of drawers and a wardrobe.

* Assuming that each room is square (rather than measurements at widest points.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

This may sound crazy but this is how I shopped for furniture for my apt while I was waiting for it to be finished.
    Take the measurements and mark them out in your back yard, tent pegs and twine work well.
    Then take newspaper sheets and cut/tape them to size of furniture....lay out within the twine.

It's the only way you'll get a feel for walking around the room with 'furniture' in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I've seen on some property programme, where they went to the house, and marked out the furniture in masking tape on the floors of the bedroom, and were better able to visualise it then. Might be a good idea if you can gain access for another viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

You will easily fit a double bed into rooms one and two.
    Whats room three, a cubby hole? I know people who wouldnt even be able to lie down in that room that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

dinnyirwin wrote: »
    You will easily fit a double bed into rooms one and two.
    Whats room three, a cubby hole? I know people who wouldnt even be able to lie down in that room that small.

Thats how the estate agents market it - 3 bed property. However, it really is only a 2 bed.

Fitting the beds in is one thing will this also allow furnishings?

Do B&Q/Ikea etc have room planner software on their websites so I can see what it will end up like?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

About 11 ft wide. Double bed is about 4,5 foot wide. You have about 6 ft to play with so it all depends on the position of your doors and bed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement