Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In fairness Goodlad the last thing I would have deciding what tyres I choose is a poxy backpack mate.....lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

When looking at multiple tyre options that will all do the same job more or less the same its a no brainer to end up choosing the one that has a promotion of something else I want.

Its not like its a case of buying a set of awful tyres just to get something free.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness Goodlad the last thing I would have deciding what tyres I choose is a poxy backpack mate.....lol.

Good one, maybe the tyres are free with the backpack? Lol

Tbh lads you are making something out of nothing to be pointlessly dramatic

goodlad wrote: »
    Tbh lads you are making something out of nothing to be pointlessly dramatic

Nah just putting a light hearted spin on a serious subject....;)

When I am looking for a tyre I go onto the motorbike websites and talk to the dealers and then look at the reviews. Or if alot of lads are running the same tyres on their bikes, word of mouth is a great advertisement.

You are trusting your life to a patch of rubber the size of a credit card...you probably would not of even looked at the Dunlops if the backpack was not part of the deal.

The price difference between a front Dunlop Road Smart III and PR4 for my bike on Cotters is just over €20 I know which I would be going for. You spending like crazy on stickers, mirrors, plastic dipping and seat covers dude. Skimp on that stuff not the tyres mate.

;)

• Advertisement

Correct man. I wouldnt of known about the roadsmart 3 if it wasnt for a big marketing banner about the release of them. I guess thats just good marketing on their part.

But how can you jump to the conclusion that a roadsmart 3 is skimping when there are no reviews out there about them yet? I post and asked if anyone here has them and what they think and mentioned the promotional item.

You have just convinced yourself im basing tyre choice on what comes free with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Speaking of tyres,I bought this in Overlandwers Gorey today.

Flat tyre to 40psi in 2.5 minutes.

Very small 12v SAE lead pump,barely even the size of my hand and serious performance from it.:D

20160220_172338_zpsxfodsh90.jpg

20160220_172020_zpsoprozwtr.jpg

Picked this Rolson magnetic kit up in Tesco for a mere 1 euro,reduced from 7 euro.Both tools extend out to 600mm and the dish is magnetic too.
    Put it straight into my Oxford mini took kit pouch.:)

20160221_164819_zpsz66szr8j.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

What make is the puncture repair kit stewy? Been meaning to get one for myself at some stage. Could get me out of a hole

sonic85 wrote: »
    What make is the puncture repair kit stewy? Been meaning to get one for myself at some stage. Could get me out of a hole

It is a "Stop & Go" Tyre Plugger kit.It used little rubber mushrooms to plug the tyre from the inside out.:)
    2 different bike shops in Dublin and also AMI in Gorey recommended the kit to me.

See this video on how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Ah nice one thanks for that

goodlad wrote: »
    when there are no reviews out there about them yet? .

Goodlad there are loads of reviews online....I read a few of them already.

Very few from what i can find. Sure they are only on the market a month.
    The few reviews out there i have read are very positive.

Metzler and pr and also the angle st are all options too. Of them all ive only used the pr tyres. But all get great reviews and all in more or less the same price range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Quick questions guys, just started riding, but have found that when braking I have a tendency to hit the throttle too.

I have read tonight that this has a lot to do with wrist position, it should be flat instead of raised above the level of the bars, other than that, get adjustable brake levers.

I have a MZ RT 125 which is a rare enough bike though so theres no adjustable levers to be found, is there standard various types of levers or does every bike have their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Quick questions guys, just started riding, but have found that when braking I have a tendency to hit the throttle too.

I have read tonight that this has a lot to do with wrist position, it should be flat instead of raised above the level of the bars, other than that, get adjustable brake levers.

I have a MZ RT 125 which is a rare enough bike though so theres no adjustable levers to be found, is there standard various types of levers or does every bike have their own?

You can often (depending on the bike) adjust the levers on the bar itself, as in loosen them a bit and move the whole clamp around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yup, flat wrist. The only time I'd have my wrist like yours is for extra throttle when I want to wheelie (don't try this at home).

I see you're in Basel, CH. I've a few biker friends in a club there, if you're stuck for someone to watch your riding I can hook you up ~ for Swiss lads they're sound enough :P

Don't forget to check out the pirelli angels goodlad, Noel is running them and likes them alot. Similar price range to the PR4s

Yup, flat wrist. The only time I'd have my wrist like yours is for extra throttle when I want to wheelie (don't try this at home).

I see you're in Basel, CH. I've a few biker friends in a club there, if you're stuck for someone to watch your riding I can hook you up ~ for Swiss lads they're sound enough :P

Thanks lads, its quite scary going WOT when trying to brake.

I have a few fellow expats marked down to go on spins with once I get more used to the bike, but always good to have the possibility of doing everything perfect like a true Swiss :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you done an IBT ? It may be more apt when starting out to use the Rear brake as the main and leave the Front for 'extra braking'

What did the instructor advise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

listermint wrote: »
    Have you done an IBT ? It may be more apt when starting out to use the Rear brake as the main and leave the Front for 'extra braking'

??? The front brake is the main, bad practice to advise someone to use the rear only!!

Far better to work away at throttle control for slower speeds

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Im living in Switzerland, so there is no IBT straight away. You get 4 months in which to do it. WHich is down right silly and un-Swiss to me, but its just one of the strange rules here.

I could have bought any bike I wanted (have to be over 25 years of age) and hopped on it without any knowledge of riding a motorbike.
    Under 25 years old and you can get anything up to 25kw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Don't forget to check out the pirelli angels goodlad, Noel is running them and likes them alot. Similar price range to the PR4s

As far as I Know, Cotters are doing free fitting for a range of Michelin tires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I seem to remember reading philip mcallens biography - supermac - and he spoke about losing his front brakes on an rc30, but outbraking people into turns using the rear on either the ulster of the tt one year. Must check that when I get home. He was completely insane tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The_Chap wrote: »
    ??? The front brake is the main, bad practice to advise someone to use the rear only!!

Far better to work away at throttle control for slower speeds

Not from my experience, starting out giving someone the Front Brake as the Main they send the bike on its ear due to over application.

Its far easier for a learner to obtain slow speed control through use of the rear brake when starting out.

You move to main brake when running through emergency braking and 'confidence' riding. but not starting out i think its a bad first foot forward to have a learner 'on' the front brake.

But as i said thats just my opinion people learn at different paces its not applicable to all situations

Lads, Any recommendations for a battery charger?

I dont think i left it in park position but may have done as i cant really explain why the battery died otherwise.

Ive a trickle charging port sticking out under the seat so guess i can plug a charger in there as i cannot be arsed taking the battery out of the bike.

Don't get a battery charger that will only charge a flat battery (obviously) you need an optimiser. I can recommend the halfords one that charges and then optimises the battery once charged and keeps it topped up to optimal conditions. Oxford optimiser is also a good one but pricey iirc.

I use a Yuasa and a Halfords charger on my bikes.
    Yasa was got in Somora motor parts for cheap as a chips through a friend of mine.Halfords is a good one too,got it for half price last christmas.
    Grand job.:)

DSCN4669_zpsefuid5mz.jpg

20151123_151015_zpsnebfzifq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have the pro charger from Louis.de goodlad. No complaints. Think it's about €40

• Advertisement

Yeah man im trying to suss out spending as little as possible but i also want the charger asap because the bike is dead and i want to use it

Advertisement