Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Lads, noticed the left front indicator is gone on the super four this morning.

Where's a handy spot in Dublin to pick up a replacement?
    And also, I wouldn't mind upgrading the OEM headlight. What's the best to go with? HID? LED?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads, does anyone know where I can find this fuel filter in Dublin?

Mahle KL 145 - like this one on ebay - I can order it online but I'd prefer to get it asap.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads, does anyone know where I can find this fuel filter in Dublin?

Mahle KL 145 - like this one on ebay - I can order it online but I'd prefer to get it asap.
    Thanks

Any good bike shop will have a spurious one, all you need to know is the pipe diameter. Failing that try a lawnmower service place, ride ons have in-line filters the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads, noticed the left front indicator is gone on the super four this morning.

Where's a handy spot in Dublin to pick up a replacement?
    And also, I wouldn't mind upgrading the OEM headlight. What's the best to go with? HID? LED?

Sorry I'm probably a little late to you with this one.

Global Distributors in Santry, Dublin 9

Can't answer your headlight question, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Wish there were places like this around this country.
    https://vimeo.com/125209552

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    Wish there were places like this around this country.
    https://vimeo.com/125209552

Not doing much for the US atm, literally zero riders coming through.

There is races for kids here btw.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Anyone see this? https://www.donedeal.co.uk/vintagebikes-for-sale/cafe-racer-nights-are-back-8th-april/11945261 Café Racer meet at the Eden pub in Rathfanham across from Marlay Park. Not sure exactly how many bikes will be there, can't see much about it online apart from this ad. Might head up anyway!

Left the bastard heated grips on during the day at work and drained the battery.
    Tried to jump it off my car there on break but it's not holding a charge. Starts and runs fine when connected but when turned off and disconnected, it hasn't enough juice to start. I'm guessing the battery is fooked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If it wont hold a charge then year its nackered. But get it onto a proper charger for a few hours before buying a new one.
    Get your heated grips wired up via the ignition so whey cant be left on.

goodlad wrote: »
    If it wont hold a charge then year its nackered. But get it onto a proper charger for a few hours before buying a new one.
    Get your heated grips wired up via the ignition so whey cant be left on.

Now to decide whether to chance buying a charger or just get a new battery :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Where are you based? If you are in Dublin I can lend you a charger if you want to try it first?

GBX wrote: »
    Where are you based? If you are in Dublin I can lend you a charger if you want to try it first?

Work in Ringsend which is where the bike is. Living in Santry but don't fancy pushing it that far :pac:

I'd need to check if there's a plug socket first but thanks for the offer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Work in Ringsend which is where the bike is. Living in Santry but don't fancy pushing it that far :pac:

I'd need to check if there's a plug socket first but thanks for the offer :)

No worries. I live and work in D12, can spin over if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Left the bastard heated grips on during the day at work and drained the battery.
    Tried to jump it off my car there on break but it's not holding a charge. Starts and runs fine when connected but when turned off and disconnected, it hasn't enough juice to start. I'm guessing the battery is fooked?

Horse!

Ya heeded no advice in your thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98915363

This can and will happen again, your only human you will forget. Heed the advice have it wired properly whoever did it was having a laugh doing it straight off the battery.

Did you get JP's to install them or did you do them yourself?

If the bike shop did then I would be questioning them why it was hooked up straight to the battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If you're in that neck of the woods you're as well to go across the road to 'the motorbike doctor'. Despite the dodgy name they did a lovely neat job on a scottoiler for me, whereas JP left me without a bike for nearly 2 weeks on a warranty repair.

Lads, does anyone have a compression tester? Trying to get this old BMW K100 started and having no luck. We've changed oil, oil filter, fuel & filter, plugs, battery, cleaned injectors and still nothing. Don't want to buy one as it would not get much use.

Also, if we can't get it started, does anyone know of a mechanic who might do a nixer and pop over to try to help us troubleshoot this bike? It's in North East Dublin. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Lads, does anyone have a compression tester? Trying to get this old BMW K100 started and having no luck. We've changed oil, oil filter, fuel & filter, plugs, battery, cleaned injectors and still nothing. Don't want to buy one as it would not get much use.

Also, if we can't get it started, does anyone know of a mechanic who might do a nixer and pop over to try to help us troubleshoot this bike? It's in North East Dublin. Cheers

Kev or Steve in NDM.
    Give them a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just a heads up for anyone traveling this year.

I seen 70L (90% PVC, 10% nylon) duffle bags in Aldi's for €25 yesterday. They seemed well made but I'm always reluctant to spend more than a tenner in those shops.

Came home and done a search, they get some great reviews on the adventure bike forums so I picked one up today.

Certainly seems well made and more than up to the job of being strapped to the bike. I'll put a few photos up later.

At €25 its a fraction of the cost of the leading brands duffle bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Interesting - give us some more info. Have you spark? Are the injectors spraying? Well, first of all - is the fuel pump priming with ingnition on?
    (Sorry, Don't know any mechanics in Dublin).

• Advertisement

Ok so it's a 1983 K100 which had been off the road for 3 years. The guy told me it had been running when he took it off the road. I changed the oil and oil filter, drained the petrol out of the tank, put in a new fuel filter, and put in a new Odyssey battery. The bike would turn over but it would not start. I can hear the fuel pump whirring loudly. A few times it could 'chug' once as if it was about to start but it didn't.
    Then we changed the spark plugs but still nothing. We checked they were sparking and they were wet so it is getting fuel. We then took out the injectors and gave them a good clean. We cranked it when they were out to verify they were spraying ok. Putting everything back together - and then when we try to start it - it usually 'chugs' the first two but not much after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

are the injectors stuck on all the time?
    will it start with the temperature sensor disconnected or the FI box disconnected?

take the plugs out and dry them turn the fuel off and crank it a bit with the plugs still out. plugs back in, fuel back on and prime it for a second, then turn the fuel off again, and start it. once it starts sputtering turn the fuel back on and see if it'll stay going. If it'll fire for a few seconds with the fuel off its probably injectors stuck on or bad temp sensor or the fuel injection box isn't plugged in properly or is faulty.

if it sounds the exact same with the FI box disconnected as it does when its connected then that could point to your issue

Ok so it's a 1983 K100 which had been off the road for 3 years. The guy told me it had been running when he took it off the road. I changed the oil and oil filter, drained the petrol out of the tank, put in a new fuel filter, and put in a new Odyssey battery. The bike would turn over but it would not start. I can hear the fuel pump whirring loudly. A few times it could 'chug' once as if it was about to start but it didn't.
    Then we changed the spark plugs but still nothing. We checked they were sparking and they were wet so it is getting fuel. We then took out the injectors and gave them a good clean. We cranked it when they were out to verify they were spraying ok. Putting everything back together - and then when we try to start it - it usually 'chugs' the first two but not much after that.

Good move changing the fuel filter. They sometimes collapsed.
    A possible failure is the HES Hall Effect Sensor, ignition trigger. Easy to replace but a bit expensive for trial and error.
    There is a technique to test them, turning the crank and listening to the fuel pump. But it's not conclusive. Have a look online.
    If you've changed the battery you probably need to "relearn" the throttle position. Reconnect battery (or pull the motronic fuse), ign on, open and close the throttle fully a few times. ign off. But I don't think throttle posn will affect the starting.
    BTW A loud whine on the fuel pump isn't a good sign for the pump but that's not your starting prob either.

Thanks. Going to be a few weeks before I can work on the bike again but I'll keep you updated.

Other question, when we drained the tank we took out 5+ liters of old fuel. How/where can I get rid of this safely? Its 3 years old so not really useable any more

Thanks. Going to be a few weeks before I can work on the bike again but I'll keep you updated.

Other question, when we drained the tank we took out 5+ liters of old fuel. How/where can I get rid of this safely? Its 3 years old so not really useable any more

Light it on fire?

Put it in the waste oil container at the council dump?
    If it was free of gunge/debris I'd just add it to a car's petrol tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Just a heads up for anyone traveling this year.

I seen 70L (90% PVC, 10% nylon) duffle bags in Aldi's for €25 yesterday. They seemed well made but I'm always reluctant to spend more than a tenner in those shops.

Came home and done a search, they get some great reviews on the adventure bike forums so I picked one up today.

Certainly seems well made and more than up to the job of being strapped to the bike. I'll put a few photos up later.

At €25 its a fraction of the cost of the leading brands duffle bags.

Loads of them still on sale in Aldi Coolock and Santry today.
    25 euro and very good quality too.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Anyone commute on the N7 daily?

I'm thinking of a house move and was wondering what kind to traffic I might face? Isn't there a bus lane down some of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

DaveD wrote: »
    Anyone commute on the N7 daily?

I'm thinking of a house move and was wondering what kind to traffic I might face? Isn't there a bus lane down some of it?

I do it some days. There's a bus land on some of it, and the road is physically big enough that there's a 'middle lane' for bikes at most times of the day.

• Advertisement

Hate to say this, but the thought of a Harley in the future is very appealing!

Advertisement