Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Guys whats the craic with a leaky inner valve on the right angle valves?

I have the right angled valves on the bike and the front one is goosed. The valve is just one solid lump of metal (unlike the car valves with the rubber hose) with the inner little bit leaking. Do I just need a new inner valve or do I need a whole new valve including housing? I am not sure if its a job lot or can be fixed...

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Guys whats the craic with a leaky inner valve on the right angle valves?

I have the right angled valves on the bike and the front one is goosed. The valve is just one solid lump of metal (unlike the car valves with the rubber hose) with the inner little bit leaking. Do I just need a new inner valve or do I need a whole new valve including housing? I am not sure if its a job lot or can be fixed...

Cheers.

Same as a normal valve Wonda.
    The whole lot comes as one.

blade1 wrote: »
    Same as a normal valve Wonda.
    The whole lot comes as one.

Ahh ffs, so if my nearest place does not have the right angles in stock I am ****ed. I am not getting a standard car valve as a stop gap only to replace it a few days later......hope the bike makes its to cotters on a leaky valve.

Prolly have to take the wheel off and fly up with it in the cage. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ahh ffs, so if my nearest place does not have the right angles in stock I am ****ed. I am not getting a standard car valve as a stop gap only to replace it a few days later......hope the bike makes its to cotters on a leaky valve.

Prolly have to take the wheel off and fly up with it in the cage. :mad::mad:

Is it an aftermarket or standard valve?
    The metal ones have thread on them and a nut that goes inside the rim that tightens them to the rim.

Mad men

• Advertisement

It's a silver metal valve that is held in place from the inside like you said blade. I got a set in cotters when I bought my PR4s, the valve housing is fine the little inner nipple is knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

It's a silver metal valve that is held in place from the inside like you said blade. I got a set in cotters when I bought my PR4s, the valve housing is fine the little inner nipple is knackered.

This inner nipple. Is this the nipple that releases the air when pressed? If so it can be tightened. Any tyre repair place will have the tool to fix it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can replace the valve itself easily, I doubt a tyre centre would charge you more than a couple of euro to put a new one in.
    Or you could buy a tool like this:https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/33879/384252.gif

Yeah Id say it could be just loose at this stage, I am gonna ring RPM in the morning to see if they have a valve there. There are 2-3 tyre places on route might ask in there can they sort it.

Cheers Guys. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

To the absolute hero who waved frantically at me from the far side of the road before the speed trap at UCD this afternoon, I owe you a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice one, which side of UCD was he on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Good Samaritan was headed south, Garda bike was on town side just after the dip under the bridge. I'd say they were raking it in yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Yeah Id say it could be just loose at this stage, I am gonna ring RPM in the morning to see if they have a valve there. There are 2-3 tyre places on route might ask in there can they sort it.

Cheers Guys. Much appreciated.

Metal valve caps with a slot for valve core removal are available. (On the left in photo). No vehicle should be without one. Tightening - or loosening and re-tightening - the valve core will usually cure a leak.

I wanted to clean out the petcock on the CB400. The drain nut was rounded so I tried to cut a slit in it to open with a flathead. As you can see, it cut through :o

I tried city spares with no joy. Any other bricks and mortar shops to try?

Any universal petcocks that might do the trick?

And as a last option, Any type of glue or similar substance that could plug it?

28lcahf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I wanted to clean out the petcock on the CB400. The drain nut was rounded so I tried to cut a slit in it to open with a flathead. As you can see, it cut through :o

I tried city spares with no joy. Any other bricks and mortar shops to try?

Any universal petcocks that might do the trick?

And as a last option, Any type of glue or similar substance that could plug it?

28lcahf.jpg

Try a small amount of JB weld. You should be able to sand it flat and have it looking as new.

Halfords do a super steal product. Most likely the same as jb weld. It will prob be my best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Any decent spot to park near St Stephen's Green/South William Street area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

KonFusion wrote: »

Drury Street carpark, just as you drive in, the lane bends to the left, on the right hand side is a raised platform where bikes can park. There's a sort of pipe that you can chain your bike to. I think there may be a sign saying motorbikes have to pay a euro or something, but as the exit barrier is only a half barrier (to let pushbikes out) there's no point in paying anything at all.

I've noticed in the past week or 2 there's a beemer parked on grafton st, near the Dunnes shop, no lock or anything on it, don't know how it hasn't been lifted or clamped :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KonFusion wrote: »

I park here: https://goo.gl/maps/sKdpzcuEQHy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads, remember a few years ago we did a big giant meet up and had about 40 bikes out? Now that the summer is approaching, any interest in doing it again? Thinking last weekend in May but flexible to whatever suits most best.

Who's on for it?

• Advertisement

Lads, remember a few years ago we did a big giant meet up and had about 40 bikes out? Now that the summer is approaching, any interest in doing it again? Thinking last weekend in May but flexible to whatever suits most best.

Who's on for it?

I'll go, good crack last time. Got lost on the way back from that shít hole in the middle of nowhere :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I might be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ah yeah it was good last time. Just let me know the date

I'll go, good crack last time. Got lost on the way back from that shít hole in the middle of nowhere :)
    I'd guess we'll met somewhere nearer Dublin/Wicklow this time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I would love to go, but I wouldn't be sure about a journey that long for me yet.

Zascar wrote: »
    I'd guess we'll met somewhere nearer Dublin/Wicklow this time ;)
    I hear ye Z, but what about punters from Cork? It might be an idea that each province meets up and then drives to middletown? So we'd have 4 separate meets and 1 destination? (A ****hole in the middle :) )

Yeah i agree man. A midlands meetup point is best

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm down for whatever. But if only 1 or 2 are coming from far and 20+ are coming from Dublin - might not make sense. Anyway happy for someone else to decide on a venue, but lets try to find a good route

• Advertisement

I wouldnt have the slightest clue about a good route. Ive more or less driven the same roads on my bike for the last 7 years, its very rare that I drive a new road so i will just show up to wherever is decided

Advertisement