Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

a means for a garage to shift bikes sans-warranty I reckon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's a consultation on the 30km/h speed limit proposal here :

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/proposed-special-speed-byelaws-submission/consultation/subpage.2016-07-07.5342212011/view

Basically they want to make almost every road in the Dublin City Council area 30km/h.

There's a thread in Commuting & Transport but it's turned into the usual "saintly cyclists vs. evil motorists" nonsense :rolleyes:

They'll probably just ram this through anyway, which is very unfair on those of us living outside DCC but working within it, as we can't vote out the morons responsible. So at least get your spake in...

Seems to be mostly far-left councillors in favour of this, which figures as most of their voters don't have to go to work

The AA have come out against it so that's something.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Seems to be mostly far-left councillors in favour of this, which figures as most of their voters don't have to go to work

HaHa, true that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sickened today to learn of the death of a true gentleman!
    Will be sorely missed by anyone who had the good fortune in knowing him!
    Absolute Legend!
    R.I.P. Wingnut
    62F2FF9C-8D95-4B36-A93A-2AF7D1152C0C_zpsktsleeqn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Heading to work this morning. Lad got knocked off his bike in Fairview in front off me, he took off a bit quicker than me at the lights, so could have easily been me. Think a car cut out in front of him.

If anyone knows him, think his name was David, hope he is alright, he was in a bit if pain but seemed okay considering the crash. Bike was a complete write off. If anyone knows him just to PM me to let me know how he is getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have seen a speed camera van on the N4 about 5 times over the last 3 years. But now I have seen it 5 times in 1 week:( Plodding along last night I passed it near Moyvalley. I was approaching the front of the van so hopefully ill be alright jack:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I have seen a speed camera van on the N4 about 5 times over the last 3 years. But now I have seen it 5 times in 1 week:( Plodding along last night I passed it near Moyvalley. I was approaching the front of the van so hopefully ill be alright jack:P

It seems like nobody told the guards to calm the **** down with the checkpoints and speed cameras since the bank holiday, I'm seeing multiple per day these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Drunken eejits kill themselves in Donegal, shock horror something must be done headlines all over the media, the response is more camera vans on 60km/h dual carriageways in Dublin which have never seen an accident.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Anyone any experiences with moto4u in Rathfarnham?

I'd search the forum but search doesn't appear to be working at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

went for a little spin on friday came home today, limerick - new market - clare castle - ennistimon - lahinch - liscannor - cliffs - doolin - fanore

got petrol before realising it was 1.33 per litre in ballyvaughn this morning :eek: had paid 1.24 last fill. Not that it makes much difference with the tiny tank but the poor tourists.

for the way home I intended on going the direct way but ended up doing the road by fanore again and then cut back into lisdoonvarna.

nice spin, only got a bit wet at one stage on saturday I while I was walking back to the bike. spent ages putting on the 2 piece waterproofs and just as I was finished the deluge stopped.. :rolleyes: and the way home today was very windy.

only took a couple of pictures will have to remember to do a nice one the next time
    393722.jpg
    393723.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

two posts in a row :D.. went out to have a look at loop head (unsuccessfully) so I went about adapting the WAW a bit by just going whatever way I felt like as I passed signs.. would actually follow the proper route if doing it again

limerick - new market - clare castle - n68 to kilrush - somewhere just below kilrush[1] - kilrush - kilkee - carrigaholt - [2] kilbaha
    394565.jpg

394564.jpg

petrol light came on just after carrigaholt.. decided to ask someone just after kilbaha was there a pump nearby.. nearest one is a farmers coop back towards kilkee.. next nearest is in kilkee.. the coop closes at 5pm.. and it was quarter to 5 or something. I went back and filled up and decided to just head home for dinner

394566.JPG
    so the way home was kilbaha - cross - petrol at the little coop place[3] - kilkee - kilrush - etc etc all the way home

at one moment I could hear a screech from my arse suction cupping onto the seat, I came round a corner and found a tractor taking up over the entire width of the road, lots of head shake from the bad road surface as I was braking too, there was really fresh gravel in all the potholes so I was already going slow expecting to see the council around every bend filling them. 10/10 would not recommend that "coast" "road" between carrigaholt and kilbaha.. will stick to the real WAW route next time.

Best place for wheel bearings for my FZ1 ? Never changed them myself - are they an easy job or would I better getting somebody to do it? What would you be looking at cost?

If you can work out which ones you need (the bearing numbers, 6205 / 6006/ 6005 etc) you can get them online from any bearing place. Have used bearingsonline.ie in the past, and would recommend

You'll need 3 at the rear (theres one in the sprocket carrier, in addition to the 2 in the hub), and you may need to replace some oil/dust seals.

Tis handy enough to do yourself - couple of guides on youtube iirc. Heatgun worked wonders for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Im attempting so do stuff to my bike....

Nice one .. I've a list of stuff I want to do:

Wheel bearings next, Airbox Mod, Ecu mapped - I've gotten so used to having the grumpy fuelled 2006 model. I need to get that sorted. Springs changed in forks.

Ive been debating the airbox mod and velocity stack change but realistically i dont think im arsed.

I just want to fuel cut fixed and i will be happy. Just sticking on my radiator guard, lowering links and new exhaust will be here in a few days. Putting one of these on but with a black tip and not gold. Gonna smash the cat out of the header in a few minutes.

whats the airbox mod?

• Advertisement

Essentially its cutting a section off the airbox so the bike takes in more air. Deffo needs a remap after

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55104&highlight=lars+air+box+mod

Wossack wrote: »
    whats the airbox mod?

Cut the airbox to allow better airflow. You remove the butterflies (?) and trim them down to allow better airflow.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55104&highlight=lars+air+box+mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpobkmydRY

ah yea, pretty interesting

weird theres that restriction there - maybe tuned to make a specific induction noise or the like

I may just do the airbox mod while im have the bike opened up. I will need to watch a video on how to do it though. Im completely bike retarded.

But i think its handy enough to take out the airbox and use a dremel to cut it.
    Tbh i wouldbt mod the butterflies. I would just remove em completely

are there secondary butterflies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wossack wrote: »
    are there secondary butterflies?

No, they are moths cause he rides it so little!!!:pac::pac:

Haha. Your not wrong man... :D

Gonna take some time and try out mods and maintenance myself over the next few weeks. Just nabbed some new velocity stacks and bought a dna air filter

Picked up Road on BluRay and TT Closer to the Edge for €1 each in HMV Henry St. yesterday :D Plenty of copies of each left. AFAIK they close the doors today.

I need new tyres and a chain/sprocket pretty soon on the fz1.

Going to drop 1 tooth on the front sprocket. Going for supersprock sprockets and a DID gold chain.

For tyres im just not sure. So many good tyres out there at the moment.

• Advertisement

Cotters have a ad on their site for cashback for Pirelli tyres

http://www.cottermc.com/tyres/pirelli

Advertisement