Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

GBX wrote: »
    Cotters have a ad on their site for cashback for Pirelli tyres

http://www.cottermc.com/tyres/pirelli

Iiiiinteresting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have my bike lowered 30mm front and back but need to shorten the side stand now. Local shop is going to but it and reweld the flat bit on but im trying to suss out how much i need them to chop off.

Anyone any ideas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Let me know how you get on with that Goodlad I need to do something kinda similar myself. On the cafe racer I'm building I want to move the sidestand to the other side - but no idea how to do it.

Odds are you will need to just get a bracket made up and figure out where to bolt it on.

Ideally before the bike was lowered I should of checked the lean angle.
    But i didnt so gotta do some guess work. I am thinking maybe 2.5 inches off the stand may be enough but if too much comes off its ****ed.

An adjustable stand would be great but they are crazy money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

try put the bike on a path with a kerb with the stand sticking off the side and put wood or books or something under the stand on the road until you get the kind of lean angle you want. then you can measure how much you need to take off the length or at least get a fair idea if your 2.5" would be enough or too much

you'd just set the angle you want using the blocks, then measure the length of stand that dips under the kerb height

at least that kind of makes sense in my head that it might work..

• Advertisement

Yeah i know what you mean. Its kinda a job for two people anyway as currently the side stand is unusable. It keept the bike completely upright at the moment so i cant use it at all.

I will be dropping into my local place tomorrow evening as he is gonna be the stand curring and welding. Will have to just figure it out.

The only adjustable stand ive come across is 140 dollars plus 60 dollars shipping which is bonkers.

for 200 dollars you could have someone stand there to hold up the bike while you're not using it :D

And then import tax on top of it all... screw that.
    Will see how the cutting and welding goes.

Sure regardless of this being a pain in the hoop. The confidence having the bike lowered gave me is worth it. I just gotta watch speed bumps now or the fairing will be bate off the bike... haha

only one way to solve that clearance issue.. wheelie over all of the speed bumps :cool:

Well it is extremely easy to lift the front since the ecu was flashed / mapped. Although the lowering may make it difficult.... I see a challenge in my future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Why'd you get it lowered goodlad??

I put on lowering links from lust racing and had my local lad drop the front for me to match the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

anybody know anywhere in the south east that recovers seats lads? anywhere in Carlow Kilkenny Waterford or Wexford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

goodlad wrote: »
    I have my bike lowered 30mm front and back but need to shorten the side stand now. Local shop is going to but it and reweld the flat bit on but im trying to suss out how much i need them to chop off.

Anyone any ideas?

Put the bike in gear and park it on soft ground, when it's sitting at the right angle lift the bike up again, park it elsewhere and measure how deep the sidestand sank into the ground :p

I'd keep the original stand and get a second hand one for them to mess around with, you can make the bike original when selling it on and sell the lowering kit separately

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

When I lowered my bike I bought the side stand from the S model which is shorter than the X model. Do any similar bikes sidestand fit your bike?

No idea man. When i asked around on fz1 groups the feedback was buy an adjustable one or cut it up.

Im just having the stock one cut tonight. Will see how it goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

goodlad wrote: »
    Odds are you will need to just get a bracket made up and figure out where to bolt it on.

Ideally before the bike was lowered I should of checked the lean angle.
    But i didnt so gotta do some guess work. I am thinking maybe 2.5 inches off the stand may be enough but if too much comes off its ****ed.

An adjustable stand would be great but they are crazy money

I spent a long time with a ruler and pythagorus' theorem and only confused myself. In the end I eye-balled it but the following technique was useful:

I put both wheels on (identical) concrete blocks and a block of wood under the stand to get the lean angle right. Then I lined-up a third concrete block next to the stand to gave me a position to cut.
    I decided if I cut a little too short I could always add another metal plate to the end of the side stand.

We just stuck the bike on a kerb. Leaned it over and done some guesswork.
    30mm is coming off the stand. Its getting cut and reweld today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

Feck load of gravel on the turn where Westland Row meets Lincoln Place, just outside Kennedy's Pub, if you know it.

Keep an eye out. Been like that for months now with all the construction going on nearby.

Passed my test today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Jesus, cannot shift my bike at all. Trying to sell it since the start of the summer and nothing but time wasters and people offering **** money. Im simply not using it anymore and dont have anywhere to store it except on the street.

Ive had to hand it off to a garage to try and sell it for me because the insurance was up and didnt want to fork out another few hundred for the year. And at least the garage will have it stored inside and if they dont sell it i can pick it back up next summer after a winter of free storage :D .

Is £3100 that much to ask for an excellent condition 2013 yamaha xj6 diversion f with 19k miles on the clock. Im in London, hence the ££.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MojiGoji

Jesus, cannot shift my bike at all...

Price seems ok. I wonder is it because there's a much better 2nd hand selection where you are vs here, so it may be not that the price isn't right etc, just you've a lot of competition with other bikes.

I'm trying to shift two nearly new bikes myself at the moment but not having much luck either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm trying to shift two nearly new bikes myself at the moment but not having much luck either.

You changing again????:eek:
    Spill the beans!!!!!!!

blade1 wrote: »
    You changing again????:eek:
    Spill the beans!!!!!!!

Nothing planned until after the Birmingham bike show. I'll make up my my mind then.

At the moment I need the money in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nothing planned until after the Birmingham bike show. I'll make up my my mind then.

At the moment I need the money in my pocket.

What are you going to look at?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm also thinking of a change right now, fancy something different. Not sure how easy or hard it would be to shift my blade, but from what I've seen for sale they are still strong money. May throw it up for a laugh. Thinking for something different - possible Ducati Hypermotard

GBX wrote: »
    What are you going to look at?

Well turns out I might have a buyer for my own bike, just need to sell the missus bike.

We're both leaning towards harleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Well turns out I might have a buyer for my own bike, just need to sell the missus bike.

We're both leaning towards harleys.

Aye sure the last one was so good how could you not !!

• Advertisement

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Aye sure the last one was so good how could you not !!

Yeah I know right :P

Advertisement