Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm also thinking of a change right now, fancy something different. Not sure how easy or hard it would be to shift my blade, but from what I've seen for sale they are still strong money. May throw it up for a laugh. Thinking for something different - possible Ducati Hypermotard

I'd recommend the hyper. Fúcking love mine. Great to have something a bit different after having some form of BMW GS for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Email'd a bunch of shops/dealers there recently looking for tyres. Only 2 got back to me, and they got back within 24 hours.

Must have email'd near 10, and here we are more than 12 days later and no reply from any others.

Two of them when I rang them said they didn't check their email. Why have one then?

The same ones you'd hear saying there's no money in bikes in Ireland :rolleyes:

It's no wonder they're losing so much biz to the UK.

The mind boggles...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Totally agree, I've had had the same happen many times. Not just with bikes but with loads of stuff. It's ridiculous that businesses don't check their email - and don't reply to customer interest - it's 2016. I've found places with facebook pages, sent them a facebook message, and got no reply, or a crappy reply after a few weeks. Madness. I work in sales and we treat any customer interest as gold on any channel. I tell my reps that you have to interact with the customer in the way in which they want to interact with you. As you say, no wonder they are complaining of slow business. If a business can't be bother to answer emails I'll happily give my business to someone who will - possibly in the UK as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah its a state here with a lot of bike shops. In saying that, my local place is constantly out the door busy and he does essentially no advertising. He just said he doesnt need to go looking for more business as he is already crazy busy. But sure i cant argue with that.

But what does do my nut in is no card payment facilities. That rules out people impulse buying stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

goodlad wrote: »
    Yeah its a state here with a lot of bike shops. In saying that, my local place is constantly out the door busy and he does essentially no advertising. He just said he doesnt need to go looking for more business as he is already crazy busy. But sure i cant argue with that.

But what does do my nut in is no card payment facilities. That rules out people impulse buying stuff.

You wont be out the door busy if you dont evolve. You have to be a step ahead. There is no arguing, it very well may pass him by and when it has he cant react.

If hes out the door then he could be out the door on the web to maybe take someone on to deal with that.

Business sense.

• Advertisement

Thinking most of the bike shops must be run by Bernard Black

goodlad wrote: »

No card must be a pain, sure a set of tyres fitted alone can be €300.

I remember ages ago going to a cage mechanic for a job, he didn't take card. He jokingly said "can't be leaving a paper trail for the tax man". I said do you take cheque or bank draft and he was like "oh yeah of course, make it out to XYZ motors" etc.

l052Iko.jpg?1

Which makes me wonder, if he was joking about the card thing, then why not get a bloody card reader?!? If he wasn't joking about the card & tax man...

You'd think some lads don't want your money.

The same lads will complain about the big garage chains, like Kwik Fit/Fast Fit, but will do nothing to compete but moan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Dropped the TDM outside the gaff yesterday, it was slow motion, slipped as I was putting the sidestand down. No damage, but there was no way in fúck I could lift it back off the ground by myself. Had to call for assistance. A little bit morto but its back up and running now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Dropped the TDM outside the gaff yesterday, it was slow motion, slipped as I was putting the sidestand down. No damage, but there was no way in fúck I could lift it back off the ground by myself. Had to call for assistance. A little bit morto but its back up and running now.

Tis the season it seems, weather turning and slippy bits everywhere. Got very close to laying down the RS on gravel at home the other day as well.

• Advertisement

Did you try lifting it backwards? Put your lower back/arse against the saddle?

https://youtu.be/cfsUZDA8CoI?t=71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You should only ever lift backwards, its far easier and safer

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

KonFusion wrote: »
    then why not get a bloody card reader?!?

Monthly cost of the terminal + transaction fees + merchant T&Cs + plugging it in somewhere for phone authorisation of transaction over ceiling.

That was 20-odd years ago and it would of been a bit of hassle for a small place. A friend of mine ran a workshop and got one (and complained and this, that and the next thing)

However it's 2016 and a terminal isn't needed for this, just a smartphone or tablet and some mobile data. Job done.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

slipped as I was putting the sidestand down.

How did you manage that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

macplaxton wrote: »
    How did you manage that?

Im sure the 4ltrs of cider played its part......:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

is there anywhere good for buying seal kits for brake caliper services? I'm just looking on ebay at the moment seems cheaper than the likes of wemoto.. can't see anywhere Irish doing kits? Would prefer that

Funny that it's basically 50 euro for a kit whether you have 2 pot calipers or 6 pots... almost as if the price has been pulled out of their arse :D

is there anywhere good for buying seal kits for brake caliper services? I'm just looking on ebay at the moment seems cheaper than the likes of wemoto.. can't see anywhere Irish doing kits? Would prefer that

Funny that it's basically 50 euro for a kit whether you have 2 pot calipers or 6 pots... almost as if the price has been pulled out of their arse :D

The price for caliper seals is a ****in joke, 40 euro for 4 or 5 rings of rubber and a bleed nipple cap ffs!

Looking to do my own also, meant to do them for the last 3-4 weeks at this stage!

How did you manage that?

I put the side stand down on a metal plate to stop it marking the tarmac, put foot on metal plate and it shot away, TIMBER!!!! :D

Cienciano wrote: »
    Did you try lifting it backwards? Put your lower back/arse against the saddle?

https://youtu.be/cfsUZDA8CoI?t=71

I did, wouldnt budge.

I don't know whether to just do the seals and new fluid or to do stainless lines at the same time.. and at that rate then I should get new pads.. and if I'm getting new pads I'll have to figure out whats involved in getting my grooved up discs sanded flat..

They must be standard size rubber things though that could be got from elsewhere for a couple of euro if picked out one by one..

need to get myself red rubber grease and copper slip as well as a 14mm socket with a 1/2" square drive to fit my little breaker bar too I only have a few 1/4" sockets

• Advertisement

Braided lines are only useful on the older bikes I feel. They dont make too much of a difference for the money, not useless there was a problem in the 1st place. On the newer bikes the brakes are usually very good, so unless its an old bike just overhaul the calipers and completely strip them and remove the pistons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Monthly cost of the terminal + transaction fees + merchant T&Cs + plugging it in somewhere for phone authorisation of transaction over ceiling.

That was 20-odd years ago and it would of been a bit of hassle for a small place. A friend of mine ran a workshop and got one (and complained and this, that and the next thing)

However it's 2016 and a terminal isn't needed for this, just a smartphone or tablet and some mobile data. Job done.

If I ran a business, I would have a card reader. Firstly, as a customer I would be thinking what else is this business cutting back on. Secondly, as a bussiness owner, you'd be fairly foolish not to have one, along with a website that can handle transactions/good store, someone who is designated to look at the emails/social media for one/two hours a day.

Many many times, I have gone somewhere else because of no replies/no way to take payment.

2003 sv650s with the stock everything so never great brakes at all

think I'll just do the caliper clean up and new fluid, going to just order I think this kit on ebay. I can't find any cheaper ones.

they felt grand before I did the little bit of acf50 treatment.. a bit of overspray must have ended up on a front disc because there's a bit of a scrubbing noise now.. :D

I would be sorted with just a bit of brake cleaner to clear up the acf50 but I wouldn't mind cleaning out the calipers anyway at the same time as doing new fluid as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I don't know whether to just do the seals and new fluid or to do stainless lines at the same time.. and at that rate then I should get new pads.. and if I'm getting new pads I'll have to figure out whats involved in getting my grooved up discs sanded flat..

They must be standard size rubber things though that could be got from elsewhere for a couple of euro if picked out one by one..

need to get myself red rubber grease and copper slip as well as a 14mm socket with a 1/2" square drive to fit my little breaker bar too I only have a few 1/4" sockets

If the calipers aren't leaking or corroded you could try re-using the old seals. I've got away with it in the past. Depends how much you'd resent repeating the job. BUt don't fit new pads until you're sure the seals are okay.

I'll be interested to hear if you find someone to skim the discs. Otherwise.. a breakers?
    I prefer a 3/8inch socket set for motorbike work. The 1/2inch is bit heavy and clumsy. Though a long 1/2inch breaker bar is very useful. Check HAlfords for any deals on sockets.

If the calipers aren't leaking or corroded you could try re-using the old seals. I've got away with it in the past. Depends how much you'd resent repeating the job. BUt don't fit new pads until you're sure the seals are okay.

I'll be interested to hear if you find someone to skim the discs. Otherwise.. a breakers?
    I prefer a 3/8inch socket set for motorbike work. The 1/2inch is bit heavy and clumsy. Though a long 1/2inch breaker bar is very useful. Check HAlfords for any deals on sockets.

my only thing with reusing the seals is I'd hate to be stuck for a week waiting for a delivery of new seals if I ruined one taking it out.
    I cant find anyone to skim a bike disc on google, and if they would it would probably not be cost effective for me, I just mean getting a sanding stone or something and taking the glaze off and getting the grooves out. mine aren't warped I don't think, just years of stones getting stuck for a second and that kind of thing

calipers aren't leaking anyway so I could probably get away with ordering the seals kit and just keeping it for the next time, and reusing the current seals.. unless I ruined one

I have heard that with 3/8" being good for bikes. I'll probably just get a couple of single sockets in 1/2" for the breaker bar and a little set of 3/8". draper expert seem to be OK price for the quality

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought a set of Hell brake lines for the Blade but never ended up fitting them. I was disappointed in the brakes coming from a Ducati 749. It has incredible brakes, a light touch was like like an anchor. Must get around to it I believe they make a fair difference

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

I changed over to hel lines and found a big difference on my gsxr 600
    Brakes were very spongy before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I put braided lines on my FZ1 .. quite the improvement over the standard ones.

ffs now I need braided lines :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Easy enough to deglaze the discs just get a sanding block and some 320/400 grit paper, and have at it. You won't remove enough material by hand to make a difference but you can take some scratches out and deglaze the disc effectively.
    An orbital sander would work as well.

Advertisement