Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I put the side stand down on a metal plate to stop it marking the tarmac, put foot on metal plate and it shot away, TIMBER!!!! :D

I'm still not quite picturing this scene.

You was standing beside your bike at the time, weren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Braided lines on any bike old or new will always improve your breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

macplaxton wrote: »
    I'm still not quite picturing this scene.

You was standing beside your bike at the time, weren't you?
    Nope, I was on the bike, put the foot on the metal plate and slipped off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ah. Ok. I've dropped a bike loads of times, but not quite like that. I was taught to put bikes on stands after getting off.

Once when I was a learner, I stopped somewhere late at night quite tired and forgot to put my leg down quick enough. It's a lot easier to lift a Honda H100 and it was dark so nobody saw me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

breaking.
    <twitch>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I spent most of the afternoon yesterday arduously test driving bikes from Joe Duffy's in Finglas. Had a go on the S1000RS , the Scrambler X and the R-Nine-T. It's a hard life but someone has to do it :D

I was blown away by them all, my missus passed her test today and wanted to upgrade so she's getting the R-Nine-T and trading in her F800GSA. I was going to trade in my own 1200GSA for the S1000RS but decided against it in the end. Its a savage bike but the tiny tank and crouched over seating position would kill me after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was coming out of the Curragh Camp (Co.Kildare) this morning and seen a biker sitting off the road, bike parked up. His bike was fully loaded too, so I decided I'd ask if he needed some assistance.

I was in uniform and driving an army vehicle, when I seen the foreign reg I approached him very friendly.. Just down to past experience when I've found that some foreign visitors can be wiry of uniforms (armies/soldiers in some countries can be a little nasty).

So I told him I was a biker too, and if everything was "ok?".. It was, so we got chatting.

The lad had traveled from fooking CHINA!.. He was just taking a smoke break before hitting the road again.

In hindsight I'm raging I didn't offer him my IRELAND shoulder flash (badge) from my uniform or even take a photo with him.

Certainly made my day meeting a fellow biker who'd traveled all the way from fecking China!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

..and then i was coming back from Laragh on sunday...some sports bike and one of those transgender or whatever you call them BMW's..:p..in front...in the distance i saw a bike pulled over, i knew it was a classic...prepared to stop behind the two in front, need'nt have bothered they just sailed past the guy.. i pulled in, guy said he was ok so i left him....caught up on the two **** again but this time i whored past them...bikers :rolleyes:.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was coming out of the Curragh Camp (Co.Kildare) this morning and seen a biker sitting off the road, bike parked up. His bike was fully loaded too, so I decided I'd ask if he needed some assistance.

I was in uniform and driving an army vehicle, when I seen the foreign reg I approached him very friendly.. Just down to past experience when I've found that some foreign visitors can be wiry of uniforms (armies/soldiers in some countries can be a little nasty).

So I told him I was a biker too, and if everything was "ok?".. It was, so we got chatting.

The lad had traveled from fooking CHINA!.. He was just taking a smoke break before hitting the road again.

In hindsight I'm raging I didn't offer him my IRELAND shoulder flash (badge) from my uniform or even take a photo with him.

Certainly made my day meeting a fellow biker who'd traveled all the way from fecking China!.

That's class. Saw this on Facebook recently of a couple who ordered a new bikes (CB500X) from Overlanders and are riding them back to Taiwan!!! Fair ****s to them.
    https://www.facebook.com/Overlanders.Ireland/posts/1146840155362805

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

..and then i was coming back from Laragh on sunday...some sports bike and one of those transgender or whatever you call them BMW's..:p..in front...in the distance i saw a bike pulled over, i knew it was a classic...prepared to stop behind the two in front, need'nt have bothered they just sailed past the guy.. i pulled in, guy said he was ok so i left him....caught up on the two **** again but this time i whored past them...bikers :rolleyes:.......:)
    Sometimes you can't do anything to help. I used to pull up to any bike stopped at the side of the road. I had panniers with a load of tools, puncture repair kit and even a syphon tube with me all the time. Now all I carry is what's in my pockets. I'd be zero help. Most people I pulled up to help have already called the recovery truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

called principal and told them I had the full licence .. no money back!

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sometimes you can't do anything to help. I used to pull up to any bike stopped at the side of the road. I had panniers with a load of tools, puncture repair kit and even a syphon tube with me all the time. Now all I carry is what's in my pockets. I'd be zero help. Most people I pulled up to help have already called the recovery truck

I hear ya...but sometimes they might not have a phone......i'd always stop if someone looks in trouble anyways.....in fact more times than not they'll give me the thumbs-up before i even stop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I hear ya...but sometimes they might not have a phone......i'd always stop if someone looks in trouble anyways.....in fact more times than not they'll give me the thumbs-up before i even stop...

Same here, I'll always stop.

On my bike I carry its tool kit, tyre plugs (the full kit) a bicycle mini pump and a leatherman tool, and hey if all else fails there's a pillion seat for the stranded!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Careful with that wind out there.

Was coming over a bridge on the way home and I almost got blown into the other lane by a sudden gust. Had to really wrestle with the bars. Luckily nothing coming the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I want to apologise for not stopping to the riders I passed near Moll's Gap last weekend. The riders were studying the map. The enthusiastic wave from the woman (pillion?) I realised later might have been a call for help. I suspect they were looking for the Gap of Dunloe. Of course, no man would ask for directions. Pity, 'cos I'd have enjoyed a natter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GBX wrote: »
    I put braided lines on my FZ1 .. quite the improvement over the standard ones.

If the fluid needed changing/bleeding you could get a good improvement just from that, and you can't fit braided lines without changing the fluid :)

If the bike is a few years old and the rubber is starting to age then braided lines will be an improvement alright.

Heard of a guy who changed his rubber brake lines for braided, spent a good bit of money and got no improvement at all. It was a Triumph and the 'rubber' brake lines that came with the bike were actually braided on the inside :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Sometimes you can't do anything to help. I used to pull up to any bike stopped at the side of the road.

One time I was on the M50 near Ballinteer and I saw a cruiser stopped in the hard shoulder, I stopped (a couple of hundred metres further up) and walked back and asked if there was anything wrong. No, the guy had stopped for a smoke :rolleyes: so as usual the reason we can't have nice things is because of complete bellends like him. I won't be wasting my time and working up a sweat walking in leathers again on behalf of somebody stopped, instead they get a cheery wave :p

Scrap the cap!

I won't be wasting my time and working up a sweat walking in leathers again on behalf of somebody stopped, instead they get a cheery wave :p

:confused:......So, he stopped for a smoke...I stopped for a couple who only stopped to take a photo.....didnt put me off...i found it amusing..doesnt hurt to be nice..."pass it on" i say...:)

If the fluid needed changing/bleeding you could get a good improvement just from that, and you can't fit braided lines without changing the fluid :)

If the bike is a few years old and the rubber is starting to age then braided lines will be an improvement alright.

Heard of a guy who changed his rubber brake lines for braided, spent a good bit of money and got no improvement at all. It was a Triumph and the 'rubber' brake lines that came with the bike were actually braided on the inside :pac:

Yeah fluid can help quite a bit. I just fancied the braided lines. Had them on a VFR before.

As for Triumph guy :D

So, he stopped for a smoke...

On a motorway though

Scrap the cap!

someone sat on my bike yesterday at college. came back to it with a big dirty boot print across the seat and tail and the bike in gear, little scuff on the tail from them rocking it back and forward to try get on it because I parked it right up against the wall.

Throttle is restricted with a stop on the engine side of the cable so don't know if it's just in my head or not but there's more movement now so the throttle cable was probably stretched to **** as someone was wringing it open

• Advertisement

On a motorway though

Ah now yer tin-roofin......:D

someone sat on my bike yesterday at college.

Not on but unfortunately a lot of people are willing to mess around with parked bikes just because they can. I used to work in offices next to a fairly popular tourist attraction in Dublin city centre, one morning about 11 I looked out the window and saw a 20+ stone American woman trying to swing a leg over my CBR6 :eek: luckily she failed. I got an alarm fitted the next week.

Any CCTV in the college? you should treat this as vandalism and look for them to be reprimanded or expelled, they wouldn't do this if they didn't think they would get away with it.

Scrap the cap!

Not on but unfortunately a lot of people are willing to mess around with parked bikes just because they can. I used to work in offices next to a fairly popular tourist attraction in Dublin city centre, one morning about 11 I looked out the window and saw a 20+ stone American woman trying to swing a leg over my CBR6 :eek: luckily she failed. I got an alarm fitted the next week.

Any CCTV in the college? you should treat this as vandalism and look for them to be reprimanded or expelled, they wouldn't do this if they didn't think they would get away with it.

How did you know she was American..??...oh yeah i see the 20 stone bit now....:D

Not sure if there's cctv coverage of where I parked, I'll try park in front of a camera from now on. the damage is only very small, basically unnoticeable, here's the worst picture I've ever taken 398074.JPG

You can see the little mark where the left tail piece meets the middle where the paint is gone from rubbing, and then the bit down the centre of the rear lights hanging down a bit from the 3 pieces not meeting perfectly anymore from being leaned against the wall.

Picture makes it look very wonky, it's not much worse than when I first got the bike and had to take apart the rear to get it all sitting square so I'll just have to do that again and get a bit of touch up paint for the actual scuff.

I wouldn't like to get involved in getting someone in trouble over it, all it would take is someone to get upset over that and I'd have dog **** in my exhaust or people ****ing with all the bikes at college

I should have an alarm or a cover really but I could probably stop it happening by parking close to other motorbikes. I usually park off on my own

Must be bad having a big chromed up harley.. every second person walking by hopping on for a picture

I wouldn't like to get involved in getting someone in trouble over it, all it would take is someone to get upset over that and I'd have dog **** in my exhaust or people ****ing with all the bikes at college

How bad would it have to get before you'd want to get someone in trouble over it?

This is how scumbags triumph over decent society, it's not so much what they do but what decent people fear they'd do. When anyone stands up to them they fold like a cheap suit, but often nobody stands up to them.

You should pursue this, for your own sake and for the sake of every other decent person in that college.

In any case, get an alarm, it would have prevented this from going any further than the initial attempt to sit on or move the bike.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭neildyr

Saw About 100 or so bikers driving through blackrock dublin on sunday lunch time.Had a marshall biker at the end. Lads with funny helmets etc. Looked like a good laugh, What was the ride for does anyone here know. Would have liked to join in but didn't know about it.

Cheers.

neildyr wrote: »
    Saw About 100 or so bikers driving through blackrock dublin on sunday lunch time.Had a marshall biker at the end. Lads with funny helmets etc. Looked like a good laugh, What was the ride for does anyone here know. Would have liked to join in but didn't know about it.

Cheers.

Could have been Bikers of Eire rideout - think it was a charity run. Check out their facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

I sure it's been asked before but is that Workzone stuff they do in Aldi any good?. Was looking at the compressor and accessories. Wouldn't be for spraying, just inflating tyres, or cleaning stuff down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Grand stuff it is for the price, the PARKSIDE stuff is alot better. I have loads of the PARKSIDE stuff in the garage from hammer drills to air compressors and they are very good value for money.

I would wait until you see what you want in lidl (Parkside) they are DIY tools every 2nd week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Advertisement