Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I was looking at that earlier and its really sparked off a debate in my mind about it as it wouldnt be too rare that I do that kinda speed.

In saying that, anytime I do that kinda speed tends to be on a motorway with little or no traffic. I dont lane split or anything at speed anything close to it.

When doing that kinda speed on a boring straight empty road it doesnt even feel fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ah for **** sake dangerous driving.. give him a speeding ticket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm just surprised he stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

ah for **** sake dangerous driving.. give him a speeding ticket

Anything over 160 kph is deemed dangerous driving. No idea who picked that number, but it seems to be what they use to prosecute.

ridiculous. on the motors forum garda traffic thread they were all impressed at a N plate micra getting up to 160, by their reckoning at 100% of the speed the car is capable of.. and now a biker, doing maybe 70% of the bikes full speed and he gets done for dangerous driving

130mph isn't warp speed on a motorway

no doubt they waited for a bike after all the **** in the news recently about drunken bikers being the cause of their own demise not texting ****s with no license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The figure on the gun suggests they got them at 251m range, thats pretty close.
    Must have been well hidden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blade1 wrote: »
    I'm just surprised he stopped.

Maybe he didnt spot them until it was too late, If I ever knew I got clocked at that speed or faster I would deffo be off the motorway at the 1st exit and takes me chances TBH. In for a penny in for a pound and all that......sure I didnt even hear the sirens or see the police ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Who took the pic of the gun...??...if the Garda left it there i'd have that calibration sticker straight off it...:D

reports of an upturn in tax disc holder sales

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Does anyone watch STOP SEARCH SEIZE on Sky 1?

The Gardai pulled a guy on a Blue R1 on the M50 doing 170kph and popping wheelies :D:D

He started using the excuse that his clutch was giving him trouble . . . but eventually owned up to acting the hooligan!

Its a good show actually I enjoy it every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Who took the pic of the gun...??...if the Garda left it there i'd have that calibration sticker straight off it...:D
    That'd be the Gardai's own photo. The latest trend is superimposing pictures of the recorded speeds over the offending vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Does anyone watch STOP SEARCH SEIZE on Sky 1?

The Gardai pulled a guy on a Blue R1 on the M50 doing 170kph and popping wheelies :D:D

He started using the excuse that his clutch was giving him trouble . . . but eventually owned up to acting the hooligan!

Its a good show actually I enjoy it every week.

I saw that one myself, I reckon the real reason that pulled him in was for sh1te wheelies :D
    The laughs of me when he started using the new born as the reason for his head not being in the right place to know what speed he was doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Just wondering if anyone came across this before , I'm selling a bike and the guy who's buying it is looking for a scan of the log book by email before he collects it . Thought it a bit odd myself seeing as there's nothing on it for him that he'd need for insurance etc.

Seems a bit weird tbh. Cant see any valid reason he would want that.
    Just to rule out him maybe printing it out for some strange reason just send him a photo of the logbook sitting next to something showing todays date so he can see proof you actually have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is he a weirdo.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

goodlad wrote: »
    Seems a bit weird tbh. Cant see any valid reason he would want that.
    Just to rule out him maybe printing it out for some strange reason just send him a photo of the logbook sitting next to something showing todays date so he can see proof you actually have it.

Sure he'll be signing it when he's taking the bike. I've bought and sold a lot of bikes in my time and never came across this.

Yup. Ite a weird thing to ask. I deffo wouldbt be sending anyone a scan of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zascar wrote: »
    Ok lads, own up, who was it??

The pants-wetting comments on twitter are ridiculous. Have these people never heard of autobahns? yet German roads are safer than ours.

Scrap the cap!

Just signed up for Rev up for DSI 2017.
    Anyone else doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

goodlad wrote: »
    Just signed up for Rev up for DSI 2017.
    Anyone else doing it?

Considering it alright, have heard its a good weekend but more importantly it's for a good cause.

• Advertisement

need a pair of pants for going into college, the textile ones I have at the moment are grand but massively baggy and roasting hot but nice and waterproof.

would leather pants be any better? Don't really see myself changing when I get in there, only ever in for an hour or two at a time maximum so don't mind being in class wearing all the gear.

Looking at the prices now they're really expensive for alpinestars ones that would zip into my jacket I already have and they all seem to have knee sliders

need to send the textile pants back to get a ripped seam fixed so will have to have something else to wear in the mean time

Madness buying Alpinestars, RST is without a doubt the best around for the money. You really should have gear that fits you (not massively baggy etc) and the RST stuff has the removable thermal layers.

Leathers are fine but coming into the winter you would be warmer wearing Textiles, only other option are leathers and a set or rain gear over them for extra heat.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Madness buying Alpinestars, RST is without a doubt the best around for the money. You really should have gear that fits you (not massively baggy etc) and the RST stuff has the removable thermal layers.

Leathers are fine but coming into the winter you would be warmer wearing Textiles, only other option are leathers and a set or rain gear over them for extra heat.

yeah I was looking at the rst pants just now, would it just be a case of getting the bottom half of the zipper from my jacket sewn onto them?

for the baggyness.. the textile pants I have are oxford ones, they are 32"32", closest thing I could see to fit me, would ideally be 28" waist 33" leg but they don't exist in any of the brands so they are baggy on me but the right length.

I will still ahve the textiles for the winter really cold days, they have a liner that goes in, but I wont have them for a few weeks while they are getting fixed

I got the alpinestars jacket for a good price, 250 euro, which was the same price as the similar rst jacket when I bought mine so went with alpinestars, was only considering alpinestars pants because they zip in but they're 100 euro more expensive than rst it looks like

I have a 2 piece alpinestars waterproof thing that I got for 20 euro from a croatian guy worn once before so would have that for throwing over leather pants anyway.

I think the leather pants would be a better option at the moment over a second pair of textile pants since I'll get the real use of them during next summer and for any of the not balticly cold days going into college. Don't think it's even worth me considering kevlar pants, less protection and no waterproofness, and paying extra to look like normal pants when I don't need them to look like normal pants

don't know how I managed to turn that into a short story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Madness buying Alpinestars, RST is without a doubt the best around for the money. .

I know you've recommended RST gear before, but honestly I find its sh*t.

I have RST pants, which I gave to my son when he got a bike ~ from day one they leaked on me, and now he has to wear rain pants over them to stay dry.

I bought a pair of RST adventure style boots in March, they're like a sponge in the rain but that said its just at the toes and they dry fairly quickly, however they're left with a weird white powdery residue (like sweat stains) on the outside of the boot after drying out, very strange.

However they're very comfortable, but based purely on my own experience I'd be very reluctant to recommend someone buy RST, esp if they're going to be a daily/winter commuter.

Am I just unfortunate?

I agree with your opinion on RST gear, in general i find it all complete crap.
    But i agree with wonda specifically about RST leathers.

I know you've recommended RST gear before, but honestly I find its sh*t.

I have RST pants, which I gave to my son when he got a bike ~ from day one they leaked on me, and now he has to wear rain pants over them to stay dry.

I bought a pair of RST adventure style boots in March, they're like a sponge in the rain but that said its just at the toes and they dry fairly quickly, however they're left with a weird white powdery residue (like sweat stains) on the outside of the boot after drying out, very strange.

However they're very comfortable, but based purely on my own experience I'd be very reluctant to recommend someone buy RST, esp if they're going to be a daily/winter commuter.

Am I just unfortunate?

You could be unlucky, but I know at least 10 people and they all wear RST and never a bother with anything. I have the same textiles for about 5 yrs now since I got my 1st bike and never let in rain top or bottoms.

I have the leathers for 3yrs now no bother at all either
    , but I did have a pair of boots and they are really poor. Fell apart after about 2mths.....

Of course you can get better gear but take for example RUKKA, are they 3 times better then RST coz they are over 3 times the price.

Out of all the mid price stuff I would wear RST over the likes of Spada and the likes easily.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Am I just unfortunate?

No, any motorcycle gear which claims to be waterproof, will only be waterproof whilst still in the shop. They are really only resistant to water, and the only measure is for how long after stepping outside the shop...everything gives up the ghost eventually.

Ask any despatch rider (or ex-DR) and they'll probably say the same. 10-15 hours days in the rain. Everything leaks at some stage.

I've resorted to "waterproof" over stuff before Baleno trousers and Derri boots. You can't get them anymore. Yes the crash protection of Derris were ****e and they eventually split their soles, but they were cheap. Baleno trousers were cheap and lasted well enough. They were made of Flexothane® which is a stretchy/rubbery sort of material with welded seams. The nearest to it you can get now is fishing or industrial PPE which is made by the parent company Scion or the generic stuff is transfer-coated PU, which I think some Arco own-label stuff is.

Well EVERYTHING I have bought that has stated its waterproof has worked, if it didnt I would get a replacement or a refund! Simple....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭COH

14516430_10154599853949641_6214322387158384286_n.jpg?oh=cdb3838cfeea475de3b2119c039dc3de&oe=586387F4&__gda__=1485748363_1058170f5435c6066cdd004e845e50c8

?ui=2&ik=ffa4a1d9dd&view=fimg&th=157e2d39cd5dbfff&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1548725924760911872-local0&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-9AXBH3sfdSpcp_Hihbe8PNPHHm0VVizrlgx2ssEu0JIsDBQ1OoNt6Qy5tT4Ofbh6oJBWTh8jRhsw4B9tn-EBwJ3IEN3aoK1lgbJ7i1W0IC3KHnvkfDRpTPRE&ats=1476979473812&rm=157e2d39cd5dbfff&zw&sz=w1920-h925

Found myself with a few hours off this afternoon and took a blast up through the Wicklow Gap...

From the city centre up through Glen of the Downs to Newtown Mount Kennedy, across to Roundwood by the Vartry Reservoir and up to Sally Gap taking the Old Military Road to Glencree and back into the city by Sandyford..

Not a sinner on the roads, just sunshine and sheep... the way I likes it

Ooh-Argh

• Advertisement

Lads, i need to sand off some rust on the bike brackets where the fairing attaches. Was just gonna get some sand paper at it then slap on some blacl hammerite. Or is there something else i should be using?

Advertisement