Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

goodlad wrote: »
    Lads, i need to sand off some rust on the bike brackets where the fairing attaches. Was just gonna get some sand paper at it then slap on some blacl hammerite. Or is there something else i should be using?

Get some rust killer, its available under various brands. Its tannic acid and PVA.
    Sand the rust back and then paint it on and let it dry, it chemically converts the rust to inert ferric tannate. Then paint over it with your top coat of choice.
    FWIW the black metal paint in Aldi works very well and is much cheaper then Hammerite and doesn't need the Xylene thinners to clean the brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Leather trousers are fine for sitting around indoors for an hour or two without overheating. I wear leather trousers year round and some days I don't bother getting changed in work for an hour or two after I get in.

Never found them too cold in winter either although my commute is only half an hour. If it's close to freezing I'd wear a thin thermal layer under them. If it's actually freezing I take the bus.

Cheap waterproofs from Army Bargains over them on wet days

As for anything waterproof eventually leaking, that's certainly the case for gloves but very hard to make them waterproof with so many seams and the need for flexibility. Textile jackets are usually OK for a year or two of daily use and then start to leak, or just absorb tons of water in the outer layer. Reproofing them has only ever helped a little bit, they'll never be as good as new again. I've never had waterproof boots leak. When we had the monsoon in Dublin in (I think) Oct 2010 and bad flooding, they didn't let a drop in until the depth of water was above the boot :cool:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

COH wrote: »
    Not a sinner on the roads, just sunshine and sheep... the way I likes it

Ooh-Argh

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

...I wear leather trousers year round ...

Yeah, but what do you wear on the bike? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just got my renewal quote from principle via email. 70 Euro off last year.

Ironically one of the 'big providers' quoted be as they must have me on file, he phoned me up, quote was 100 Euro dearer than the dear quote i refused last year.

Hilarious, the guy was like so i guess you dont want to take that. It says on file here you went elsewhere last year, ohh and this quote is more than last years so ehh.

"yes mate cheers for the call" "Bye"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Anyone have a discount code for hel performance? I asked around before and someone had a 50% off code which was savage. If anyone know a current code drop me a pm please

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah, but what do you wear on the bike? :pac:

Nothing :pac: :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

400180.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Maybe he didnt spot them until it was too late, If I ever knew I got clocked at that speed or faster I would deffo be off the motorway at the 1st exit and takes me chances TBH. In for a penny in for a pound and all that......sure I didnt even hear the sirens or see the police ffs!
    Pull a wheelie as you go by, simples :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

FFS,
    Can CJ's post be deleted? Its just wrong haha :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

CJhaughey wrote: »
    400180.jpg

My budgie is bigger than your budgie..............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

has anyone got custom moulded earplugs for on bike? I have foam plugs at the moment but every once in a while I'll put one in wrong or I just won't get a good seal.. and I'll have ringing ears for ages after. Sitting here at the moment with two ears with lots of tinnitus and I don't want to do any more serious damage

specsavers ones are 170 euro..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

has anyone got custom moulded earplugs for on bike? I have foam plugs at the moment but every once in a while I'll put one in wrong or I just won't get a good seal.. and I'll have ringing ears for ages after. Sitting here at the moment with two ears with lots of tinnitus and I don't want to do any more serious damage

specsavers ones are 170 euro..

Have you tried different foam types? The cylindrical coarse foam type in the blue and white cardboard packet are best avoided.
    I use tapered orange plugs, branded "EAR". They also do a yellow version which has softer, less dense foam - almost as good.

I've not felt the need to opt for moulded plugs myself but I've heard mostly good comments about them.
    I include a link to this UK company that might be useful for comparison.

Have you tried different foam types? The cylindrical coarse foam type in the blue and white cardboard packet are best avoided.
    I use tapered orange plugs, branded "EAR". They also do a yellow version which has softer, less dense foam - almost as good.

I've not felt the need to opt for moulded plugs myself but I've heard mostly good comments about them.
    I include a link to this UK company that might be useful for comparison.

going to try a new foam type just ordered 10 pairs of "Howard Leight Laser Lite" on amazon to try them out - worked out at 2.11 euro.

that ultimateear company looks good for moulded ones

So far I have been using short yellow ones with flat ends, and I have a few pairs of light blue ones which are tapered. The blue ones were great but only for the first 3 or so wears. The yellows lasted ages but they're fully worn out now.

boxes of around 200 pairs are like 20 euro on amazon so may end up just getting something like that when I find a brand i like

I would probably be fine with foam ones once I could change them often, I thought they would be pretty expensive to constantly throw away when used but cheap as anything on amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Last few times ive been on the bike i used custom moulded ones. I got them free in work as the machinery is really loud. They do the job brilliant.

I could stand next to someone and have a conversation no probs but wind noise and loud noises are drown out

my new foam plugs will be here tuesday/wednesday so will know then whether ill bother with moulded ones

2 new tyres needed, front is low on tread, and rear has a tiny nail in it.

Both losing about 1psi per day for ages, checked 100 times for nails but only today I found the one in the rear. Haven't pulled the nail yet and just with soapy water checking there are absolutely no bubbles from around the nail

What should I do? order tyres online and bring them with me somewhere to get mounted, or try just bring tyres and wheels to some place in the car.. or try do it all at home?

doubt there's anywhere I could just ride to and leave with new tyres there and then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You can order online but not everywhere will fit them as a: you did not buy them there and b: they will have to stand over the tyre after fitting and they have no idea where you got the tyre could be some fakes from god knows where....stupid I know but that is the line they take. Usually charge about €25-30 for fitting.

I think custom made ear plugs are a waste tbh, would rather get the large bag of re-usable ones they are quite good if you get the right ones. Know a lad you bought a set of expensive plugs not customs but came with a little key ring capsule for them....thats where they stayed most of the time :rolleyes:

Might just try do it myself. Anywhere that would be ok with me arriving with the bike would want me to buy the tyres from them, only chance would be to arrive somewhere with the wheels only and tyres and they could fit them quickly. wouldn't be enough money in it for them to put the bike up on stands and wrestle calipers off as well as the rest of the work.

watched this guy who made it look piss easy.

will take me over an hour and I'll be covered in blood afterwards

need to get myself paddock stands and a few other bits but I'll need them for other jobs anyway.

one good thing about the moulded ones is that you can just stick them in your ears rather than having to roll up the foam ones, annoying when I'm going on a short trip and I spend 2 minutes putting in ear plugs. Fresh foam ones are very easy to put in tho, which would be solved by me buying one of the boxes of 200 pairs and just using fresh ones every couple of days

going to go with pilot road 4 I think, have pilot power 2ct at the moment and can't fault them.

Forget about fitting wide tubeless tyres yourself without proper equipment unless you're desperate and/or stupid. Just not worth the hassle.

City Spares fit tyres they didn't sell at a reasonable cost, was on another thread here recently. Price in the fitting when comparing an online 'bargain' to local prices. I find Cotters hard to beat compared to online prices incl. fitting to a loose wheel. Ride in ride out price will be higher obviously.

The small nail in your tyre is probably only losing air when the weight is on it, so you won't see bubbles when the weight is not on that part of the tyre

PR4s are the biz

Scrap the cap!

I'm desperately stupid :D in clare so will have to figure out where would do it. still need to buy paddock stands to get the wheels off anyway so might order them tomorrow morning

• Advertisement

Forgive my Dublin-centrism :) you within reach of Limerick dealers?

I wouldn't trust a car tyre place to fit bike tyres, too easy to damage the rim paint or a brake disc, or just fit the tyre the wrong way round...

Scrap the cap!

Forgive my Dublin-centrism :) you within reach of Limerick dealers?

I wouldn't trust a car tyre place to fit bike tyres, too easy to damage the rim paint or a brake disc, or just fit the tyre the wrong way round...

ill bring the bike up on the bus to the big schmoke :D. I've ordered the tyres anyway just now from crossans 247 euro for the set will be here by the end of the week and I'll bring them to wherever will do them in limerick. handier at the moment for me to use paypal anyway as I have a few hundred on it

going to get paddock stands and take the wheels off myself, need them for doing the chain and that kind of thing anyway so it's no big deal on that front. Would be wasting my time and money looking for somewhere that would do ride in ride out replacement.

will be sure to get the tyre on the right way if I do end up having to go to a car place

You dont wanna end up damaging the rim either to save yourself 20-30 quid either.

called a place we used for car tyres before, turns out he does bike tyres too in limerick, says bring the bike in and come back or stay while it's being done or just bring wheels or anything he'll do it as long as I ring ahead to make sure he's not busy, 30 euro for both tyres

at that rate it's not even worth thinking about doing it myself. all sorted

All pony. Had my tyres fit by red cow tyres Last week perfect job. I used to bring my M3 there before I sold her.

Zero issues would recommend no marks on wheels no nonsense. And there was no marks on my highly polished M3 wheels either.

Ordered from openeo.

Well great that's one data point. How many other car places have you tried?

Scrap the cap!

Well great that's one data point. How many other car places have you tried?

Does it matter? There's a bit of a hand bags attitude to tyres here on boards like you pooped in someones cornflakes my own thread asking about it turned into a contest of rates.

Quite amusing tbh

What's amusing is when someone takes one anecdote of using one service provider to say that the experiences of others using other service providers are "all pony".

Scrap the cap!

pilot road 4 tyres arrived this morning going to get them fitted today :D

• Advertisement

FYI the only reason why I posted up about being refused tyre fitting is because it actually happened to me, if it worked out for other happy days.

Advertisement