Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's amusing is when someone takes one anecdote of using one service provider to say that the experiences of others using other service providers are "all pony".

Well there are some that constantly shill other places... And when someone comes on to show a place that does a solid job for good money its a cute anecdote and 1 plot example of a service.."have you anymore"

yeah ok buddy.

I think il stick with telling people of good experiences i have had rather than blanket saying that shops damage your tyres and make them unsafe which as i said is horse ****e.

You use terms like 'bargain' when saying online,
    You started telling people they need their head examined getting your tyres fitted in a car shop.
    Then went on to say that these places will damage your wheels.
    Have you any evidence of all of this since you love anecdotes ?

Blatant pony talk, must have struck a cord with your shilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

pilot road 4 tyres arrived this morning going to get them fitted today :D

Can you check the year of manufacture ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Can you check the year of manufacture ?
    week 25 2016

got the rear on... now I don't want to at all get involved in the above thing so just giving my personal experience from today...

I would never bother my hole ever doing the same ever again in my entire life

arrived at the car place, no paddock stands or scissor lift or ratchet straps or anything, told me I could use his tools and whatever else to get the wheels off. Sketchy as **** balancing act, got the rear off, he took off and put on the new rubber, sketchy as **** putting it back together, I got the front wheel off only to realise I couldn't clear the mud guard with the way I was lifting the bike, had to put it back on and give up.

would have been a 15 minute job with an abba stand. half an hour with paddock stands. well over an hour trying to do the balancing act

he sanded the inside of the rim and put sealer in there mounted and balanced and let me use his tools and stuff for 15 ****ing quid.

just left the pilot power 2ct there even tho there was a full track day worth of life in it (I reckon anyway but what the **** do I know about track day tyres) because I was just ****ing wrecked tired from balancing the bike on a car jack. and brought the front PR4 home.

going to get ratchet straps and lift the front of the bike using a set of swings as a thing above it, or paddock stands, and bring just the wheel back into him. tbh that's what I thought I was doing until he said I could take them off in his place

he was just trying to be helpful but I should have just turned around and gone home when there was no means of lifting the bike

in my newly formed opinion, car tyre places are grand if you know them or you bring just the rim and watch them doing it to make sure they're not doing fooky stuff, same goes for bike places too probably with people doing fooky stuff

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

week 25 2016

got the rear on... now I don't want to at all get involved in the above thing so just giving my personal experience from today...

I would never bother my hole ever doing the same ever again in my entire life

arrived at the car place, no paddock stands or scissor lift or ratchet straps or anything, told me I could use his tools and whatever else to get the wheels off. Sketchy as **** balancing act, got the rear off, he took off and put on the new rubber, sketchy as **** putting it back together, I got the front wheel off only to realise I couldn't clear the mud guard with the way I was lifting the bike, had to put it back on and give up.

would have been a 15 minute job with an abba stand. half an hour with paddock stands. well over an hour trying to do the balancing act

he sanded the inside of the rim and put sealer in there mounted and balanced and let me use his tools and stuff for 15 ****ing quid.

just left the pilot power 2ct there even tho there was a full track day worth of life in it (I reckon anyway but what the **** do I know about track day tyres) because I was just ****ing wrecked tired from balancing the bike on a car jack. and brought the front PR4 home.

going to get ratchet straps and lift the front of the bike using a set of swings as a thing above it, or paddock stands, and bring just the wheel back into him. tbh that's what I thought I was doing until he said I could take them off in his place

he was just trying to be helpful but I should have just turned around and gone home when there was no means of lifting the bike

in my newly formed opinion, car tyre places are grand if you know them or you bring just the rim and watch them doing it to make sure they're not doing fooky stuff, same goes for bike places too probably with people doing fooky stuff

:D

Thanks frozen. Just asked because I read before that online bought tyres can be nearly out of date...as in 5 years old. That fitting sounded like a nightmare. I'll be doing my own fitting come spring. Looking forward to posting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Rich T, you'd be better off paying for someone else to do it, its money well spent, compared to the grief a tire changes causes.

• Advertisement

I disagree, if someone has the equipment and is into their own maintenance. I have a lift at home for example the bike sat up on it with Wheels off. Gave me a chance to AC50 all the areas hard to reach with wheels on,copper greased the pad rears, Cleaned up loads of things for winter prep, sprayed bits, fixed faulty USB power cabling etc.

It stands to reason that its ideal time to do that, you wouldnt have the opportunity in a bike/car place.

brought the wheels over to Tyre place and they were done in 15minutes.

So realistically its whatever works for you. If you dont have facility to remove the wheels yourself then it stands to reason that a bike place would be the best fit. Thats plain logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

listermint wrote: »
    Well there are some that constantly shill other places...

Well I don't shill for anywhere.
    And when someone comes on to show a place that does a solid job for good money its a cute anecdote and 1 plot example of a service.."have you anymore"

You don't get it. You used an anecdote of one car place to try to prove that all car tyre dealers know their stuff about fitting bike tyres. That place may do - many others don't and yes I've heard first hand about badly chipped rims, bent discs and even a tyre fitted the wrong way round.
    I think il stick with telling people of good experiences i have had rather than blanket saying that shops damage your tyres and make them unsafe which as i said is horse ****e.

I never discounted the good experience you've had. I'd consider going there myself if Cotters weren't so cheap and not too far away. But you can't generalise from that place to the average car fitter. If you'd left out the blanket dismissal "all pony" then there would have been no argument.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hard to beat the feeling of replacing of old squared of tyres with new rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah its a super feeling, but the cost of 2 tyres quicky grounds you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah its a super feeling, but the cost of 2 tyres quicky grounds you!

Ah but its not that bad .. .cost of ownership - about €0.10c a day :D

• Advertisement

Over €300 for two tyres...its bad bruh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

some ickle dog on a stretchy lead (dont get me started), had a good attempt at harakiri this morning, running across a thankfully empty lane to give me a telling off. Love dogs, so would have absolutely broken my heart if anything had happened him :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hate dogs, a worthless species best eradicated.

A few years ago was almost hospitalised (or killed) by a braindead collie dog that charged out from a McMansion on the other side of the road, somehow (having had no time to even release the throttle much less steer) I missed it, or rather it missed me.

It's those little yappy feckers that are the most annoying though, twice this week I encountered them straining at the leash for all they're worth (one tiny fecker even pulling its adult male owner along) because something in their excuse for a brain equates motorcyclist minding their own business = existential threat.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Hate dogs, a worthless species best eradicated.

A few years ago was almost hospitalised (or killed) by a braindead collie dog that charged out from a McMansion on the other side of the road, somehow (having had no time to even release the throttle much less steer) I missed it, or rather it missed me.

It's those little yappy feckers that are the most annoying though, twice this week I encountered them straining at the leash for all they're worth (one tiny fecker even pulling its adult male owner along) because something in their excuse for a brain equates motorcyclist minding their own business = existential threat.

I love dogs and I do have a dog, but when a little ****ing yoke starts barking as I approach the instinctive reaction is always "I hope I don't have to wreck these boots by kicking a mutt in the face"

I've had 2 episodes with dogs attacking me, first was with a neighbors dog, a jack russel, when I drove into the communal garden it launched itself at me in front of their kids, as it was about to bite I gave it a solid kick to the neck spinning the little fecker 360 and yelping back to its owners property, (the kids were shouting dog murderer at me, haha). It was grand after though and never said boo to me again.
    Second one was in Blancharstown, driving past a bus stop on the way into an industrial estate, again a little terrier type dog who thought it was cool to attack a fully clad courier at about 50 mph, got the boot in before it got me and it did'nt fair to well for him rip.
    Its the owners fault in anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I've had 2 episodes with dogs attacking me, first was with a neighbors dog, a jack russel, when I drove into the communal garden it launched itself at me in front of their kids, as it was about to bite I gave it a solid kick to the neck spinning the little fecker 360 and yelping back to its owners property, (the kids were shouting dog murderer at me, haha). It was grand after though and never said boo to me again.
    Second one was in Blancharstown, driving past a bus stop on the way into an industrial estate, again a little terrier type dog who thought it was cool to attack a fully clad courier at about 50 mph, got the boot in before it got me and it did'nt fair to well for him rip.
    Its the owners fault in anyways.

You killed a dog while travelling at 50MPH? Firstly, do you think it would have actually bitten you, while travelling at that speed? Dogs are territorial / following instinct by nature, I don't think they're trying to be "cool". They rarely actually get a chance to, or manage to, bite anything moving at those speeds.

Even if they did, are you actually that scared of a little terrier's bite, especially through your "fully clad courier" clothing?

Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if he'd dived under the front wheel, all bets are off

Wossack wrote: »
    if he'd dived under the front wheel, all bets are off

Yeah, suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Re. the dead dog, the dog murderer :p and bikers.. When I was growing up we had a dog which used to chase bikes, she managed to bring a few off their bikes too so I'm mixed on this one.

I own two dogs now, and they're like children to me (and spoilt rotten too) so I hate to think of a dog being 'murdered' :p ~ But, well we're more important and I'd probably have milled a boot into the fookers head to save my own too.

Yeah I am mixed on this one too, but when it comes down to it no way on earth I am binning my bike coz some prick lets his dog roam free all day. You have a responsibility as a dog owner to keep your dog safe at all times.

That includes letting it bark his head off all day none stop aswell as chasing anything that moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I just slow down and then brap away from the dogs on our road. don't know would I actually kick one but I shoo them away with my foot every time. Same goes for the pedestrians :pac:

Have to say there is also a big big difference in a Jacky Roosel and a roottywhiller running out in front of you....you might avoid a spill hitting the former but the latter you FOOKED!

I think if you're in a position to successfully kick a dog to death, while riding, then you're in a position to avoid it successfully, without kicking it to death.

Intention was to get the dog away from me, it resulted in its demise, didn't want to kill it, owner should have kept it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Fully insulated steeltech was erected in the garden today. Delighted with it, quality seems very good. Shed floor and the rest of the garden will be finished the weekend.

Now the fun starts of kitting it out!

Any plans on a window? Is recommend one tbh pick up second hand one and put it in you'll enjoy the light

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Fully insulated steeltech was erected in the garden today. Delighted with it, quality seems very good. Shed floor and the rest of the garden will be finished the weekend.

Now the fun starts of kitting it out!

Ah that's class. What size is it? Did you put down a full base instead of the picture frame? If so how much more concrete are you going to add to seal it inside and finish the floor?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm planning on getting a Steeltech shed myself but im not sure on how to go about putting down a base

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

No windows, it was something I didn't want from the start for security reasons. I will be wiring it myself so there will be good lights were I need them.

I did the full base, I was thinking of the picture frame also but worked out easier to do or this way on my opinion. I have a DPM under it as well as plenty of steel.

Another 40mm depth of concrete will be going in on Saturday to bring it up level with the frame.
    The the base took about 3.5m of concrete so far and I reckon another 1m on Saturday. I got a 30 newton mix delivered for the base but I think we will mix the remaining metre on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

You said you have steel under it - mesh is it for strength? I'll be hoping to have the car in there along with a couple of bikes so I'll probably need to put mesh into the base too.

You used ready mix? I was half thinking of getting my hands on a mixer and giving it a go myself but a lot will depend on the size of shed I end up going for.

Can I ask how much it cost you to put down the base? You can PM me if you like if you don't want to say in public - or if you don't want to say at all that's grand too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Almost a full month without the vroom vroom now -.-

Advertisement