Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he was given a 500 euro fine and 5 points, told the judge he was sorry he was speeding but had no intention of going that fast and he didn't look down to see. or something along those lines its in the link there.

gardai will leave a truck drive on with a screw driver holding the suspension in place and then arrest a bike speeding on an empty motorway on a bright clear dry sunday morning

Speeding on a bike like that you could kill yourself. Suspension coming off a truck at 80km/h kills everyone else around them.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/800998983451688960

also the trucks all crashing at the moment on the ice. How about they get charged with driving with undue care etc? Or are at least not allowed to drive on with bald tyres. Or do people only get charged when they might be enjoying breaking the rules?

speed kills :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Where does it say the truck was allowed drive off. Truck drivers get far more unfair attention than bikers. Considering some of the antics I've seen over the years, as bikers we get away with a lot.

Also that's not a suspension part. While it looks bad, the screwdriver is not really serving much purpose to the structure of the truck.

jvan wrote: »
    Where does it say the truck was allowed drive off. Truck drivers get far more unfair attention than bikers. Considering some of the antics I've seen over the years, as bikers we get away with a lot.

Also that's not a suspension part. While it looks bad, the screwdriver is not really serving much purpose to the structure of the truck.
    Was just the first mad tweet I could find that didn't say they were arrested or towed. Nothing against truck drivers there are plenty of mad tweets about cars with bald tyres and all sorts of dangerous things about them where they were just told to fix it. That's the only point I was trying to make

That garda traffic twitter a real eye opener to be fair. Some shocking carry on on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Had a blast over at the NEC, got to ride 3 bikes I never rode before Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro - Yamaha MT-10 - Africa Twin 1000 DCT. Both the Ducati and the Yammy were very good and the multistrada is some machine although I would get the S model over the enduro (was doing the off road on it).

MT10 is a beast, some engine and the quickshifter is a real eye opener but not too fond of the sitting position but its a beaut of a bike.

Good bargains to be had and I ended up getting a nice new helmet (yes another one PMSL)

Good day all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

KonFusion wrote: »

At that speed wouldn't stop for anyone.. I'd nail it and go.

Disclaimer **I'd have no idea what its like to travel at that speed and I'm making this up** :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Had a blast over at the NEC, got to ride 3 bikes I never rode before Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro - Yamaha MT-10 - Africa Twin 1000 DCT. Both the Ducati and the Yammy were very good and the multistrada is some machine although I would get the S model over the enduro (was doing the off road on it).

MT10 is a beast, some engine and the quickshifter is a real eye opener but not too fond of the sitting position but its a beaut of a bike.

Good bargains to be had and I ended up getting a nice new helmet (yes another one PMSL)

Good day all in all.

That would just make me want stuff I can't have. Like going to a lapdancing bar

Have to say it was a very good event, the off road live experience was very good and the track was layed out brilliant. It had a mixture of sand pits, stones and leaves and then 3 hills with tight turns and cambers all covered in loose muck and stones.

All in all the Ducati Multistrada Enduro is a beast.....it even has a hill start mode which while very handy if you need it dont think would get much use on the road. Maybe the road version does not have it.

Well worth having a blast on all the latest and greatest machines mate.....especially for gratis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

In an ideal world he'd have told the judge it was perfectly safe in good weather conditions, legal in Germany and that he could cram it :)

Instead we have the pants wetting twitterati giving it loads over nothing at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Guys, a bit off topic and probably belongs in the motors forum, but I don't post there and I trust your opinions. I reversed my mams car out of the front garden to make way for the bike, in doing so I scratched the left rear wheel arch, down to the metal, anybody got recommendations, its a blue micra, before I get reefed :P

Dublin Northside preferably but willing to not get reefed, so anywhere really :cool:

• Advertisement

Guys, a bit off topic and probably belongs in the motors forum, but I don't post there and I trust your opinions. I reversed my mams car out of the front garden to make way for the bike, in doing so I scratched the left rear wheel arch, down to the metal, anybody got recommendations, its a blue micra, before I get reefed :0

get the next boat out of the country... or do the same damage on the other side to even it out

& stick up a picture so we can see how badly she is going to beat you

when you say arch do you mean the actual arch itself or on that panel. if it's the arch you could put primer on it to seal and make sure it doesn't rust then get plastic arch covers all around to cover it up, I see loads of micras with the plastic covers on, if she asks about them go back to step one with the boat out of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'm currently on the lookout for a bike and have my eye in one in CCs in Kells.

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience of buying a bike from them? What are they like to deal with - any wiggle room on price what's their after sales like etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Lads any opinion on these leathers? Never heard of the brand and not much on google. They seem too cheap to me although they are half price. They're CE armoured and proper leather. I'd be tempted to save twenty quid a week and get them for march/april they've been up ages so I wouldn't say they'll be gone too quick.

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=128562832&Currency=EUR

They look grand TBH, no way on earth I would pay anywhere near the original price. But I would get them or RST leathers.....both are 1.2 - 1.4mm thick but they are nice.

Just ordered full set of hel braided lines for 67 euro (that was with paypal and over 10 euro postage). that's front and rear, would normally be a good bit more than that I think

could have been cheaper if I had used address pal but couldn't figure out what parts of the address go in what section.

on hel website https://www.helperformance.com/ there is a 50% off code 'number1' if anyone else wants to get themselves a christmas present because I think it's a good price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

on hel website https://www.helperformance.com/ there is a 50% off code 'number1' if anyone else wants to get themselves a christmas present because I think it's a good price?

Code isn't working anymore :(
    Missed out by 6 minutes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Lads I'm at my wits end. I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel but no, it turns out I have more hoops to jump through and more money to spend.

After 4 years of riding bikes, all of which went by without any accidents, 16 hours of IBT, 12+ hours of 1 on 1 instruction, 1 failed attempt at the full test, 1 successful attempt, well over 60,000 miles on all my bikes together and I've just found out I need to go and get another provisional licence now before I can make my way from my full A2 licence to a full A licence.

When they first brought out these new licence rules in 2013 I was completely behind them. I was just starting out motorcycling and was thrilled at the idea of having to go through a number of training programs to learn the ins and outs of a motorcycle, I figured its for the best. But now I'm starting to see it in a completely different light.

Its like they are trying to get rid of bikers altogether. They are just constantly making it more difficult to legally ride a bike by increasing the complexity of the licencing system and adding costs wherever they can (as if the price of gear and insurance isn't high enough already?).

Sorry about the rant lads, I know its only an extra €35 at the end of the day but its just so frustrating not having a full unrestricted licence after all the time, money and effort I've put into it so far.

A lot of the problem lies with the authorities. There was so much confusion at the time about the new rules the staff were giving out bad information. Didn't help that at the same time it changed over from the councils to the ndls, so there was even more confusion.

Yeah there was not enough research done. They rounded it off in nice metric numbers for the A2, 35kw, a nice round metric number. The limits 500cc. Why didn't they look at all the standard 500s available and put that as the limit?

It leads to having to get a bike restricted by 2 bhp which is absolute nonsense. My ER5 had 48-50 bhp new according to who you listen to and the limits 47. What were they thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

get the next boat out of the country... or do the same damage on the other side to even it out

& stick up a picture so we can see how badly she is going to beat you

when you say arch do you mean the actual arch itself or on that panel. if it's the arch you could put primer on it to seal and make sure it doesn't rust then get plastic arch covers all around to cover it up, I see loads of micras with the plastic covers on, if she asks about them go back to step one with the boat out of the country
    Haha, brought a smile, just the arch man, panel is alright and I'm on the Stena 🚤

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CaptainR wrote: »
    Yeah there was not enough research done. They rounded it off in nice metric numbers for the A2, 35kw, a nice round metric number. The limits 500cc. Why didn't they look at all the standard 500s available and put that as the limit?

It leads to having to get a bike restricted by 2 bhp which is absolute nonsense. My ER5 had 48-50 bhp new according to who you listen to and the limits 47. What were they thinking?

The limit isn't 500cc.

They got badly burned in the past when setting cc limits for learners, it used to be 250cc until the late 70s I think and the likes of the GT250X7 two-stroke had quite a lot of power, the law was brought in when 250s were low-power four-strokes. Similar thing happened under the 125 law, NSRs and Aprilia RSs made massive power and could top 100MPH, that wasn't what the legislators had in mind :) so when we got EU harmonised licence categories, there was a power limit as well.

You can't (imho) complain about a specific bike being slightly too powerful for the limit, wherever they set it there'd bound to be some bike or other just slightly over it.

I'd be very slow to criticise the EU over this, we don't have that bad a deal given that learner riders are allowed on the roads unsupervised, and given the casualty rates of novice riders (not good). You can regard compulsory training as a PITA, or an opportunity to learn and increase your chances of survival. And having worked with MAG for some years and met with the Dept Transport etc. I'm actually convinced that if it wasn't for the EU and their licensing directives which require bikes to be legal, if it was left totally up to the authorities here then bikes would have been completely banned years ago.

Scrap the cap!

"And having worked with MAG for some years and met with the Dept Transport etc. I'm actually convinced that if it wasn't for the EU and their licensing directives which require bikes to be legal, if it was left totally up to the authorities here then bikes would have been completely banned years ago"

Sad really, don't understand why biking gets such a bad rep here compared to other European countries.
    I've said it elsewhere but motorbikes and scooters should be seen as part of the solution to easing traffic congestion.

The limit isn't 500cc.

They got badly burned in the past when setting cc limits for learners, it used to be 250cc until the late 70s I think and the likes of the GT250X7 two-stroke had quite a lot of power, the law was brought in when 250s were low-power four-strokes. Similar thing happened under the 125 law, NSRs and Aprilia RSs made massive power and could top 100MPH, that wasn't what the legislators had in mind :) so when we got EU harmonised licence categories, there was a power limit as well.

You can't (imho) complain about a specific bike being slightly too powerful for the limit, wherever they set it there'd bound to be some bike or other just slightly over it.

I'd be very slow to criticise the EU over this, we don't have that bad a deal given that learner riders are allowed on the roads unsupervised, and given the casualty rates of novice riders (not good). You can regard compulsory training as a PITA, or an opportunity to learn and increase your chances of survival. And having worked with MAG for some years and met with the Dept Transport etc. I'm actually convinced that if it wasn't for the EU and their licensing directives which require bikes to be legal, if it was left totally up to the authorities here then bikes would have been completely banned years ago.

It isnt the limit but any of the new 500s are 35 kW. All of the older 500s are a kW or so over it and it needs restriction. They should have looked at all the 500s or 400s (wherever they roughly wanted a bhp limit) and set the limit as the most powerful of the 4 Japanese big four.

Its just annoying is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Anyone at the MAG meeting on Saturday? How did it go?
    Edit: seem a they got the numbers to keep it going which is good news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Who were the guys that use old helmets for paramedic training on here? I've one I'd like to give to them rather than throwing it out

replacement oxford textile pants arrived today, last pair had a big rip from a bad stitch but bike is still off the road :{

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Amsterdam to Bali

Saw this on another forum Dutch girl going solo from Amsterdam to Bali on a Vstrom Dl650 solo. Trip..

She left in March

Has a YouTube channel to daily flogging the whole thing. Fair play

http://womenadvriders.com/women-adventure-inspiration/amsterdam-bali-whim-vstrom/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lads,the "Muc off" stuff in Dealz, is the car stuff the same as the bike stuff,just in a different bottle??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

On the Stolen & Recovered Ireland FB page:
    lifuPQq.png

Advertisement