Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I dropped my bike yesterday. :(

Car in front of me "pulled in" (and I use the term loosely) and traffic in front of them started moving, so I decided to go around...that didn't work out.

Only a few scratches on the VFR sticker on the fairing, and took the mirror off, my pride probably took more of a beating than the bike did. Particularly since I got my jeans caught on the sky-pointing leg of the centre stand. And when i got myself free I couldn't actually lift the bike. :o

So not a good day. :(

I could walk away though, so can't complain too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Kev.OC wrote: »
    I dropped my bike yesterday. :(

Car in front of me "pulled in" (and I use the term loosely) and traffic in front of them started moving, so I decided to go around...that didn't work out.

Only a few scratches on the VFR sticker on the fairing, and took the mirror off, my pride probably took more of a beating than the bike did. Particularly since I got my jeans caught on the sky-pointing leg of the centre stand. And when i got myself free I couldn't actually lift the bike. :o

So not a good day. :(

I could walk away though, so can't complain too much.

That is ****ty dude, sorry to hear that. Glad you are okay.....in relation to lifting the bike on your own, if you can open the side stand and stick it in gear if not already. Lock the handle bars and lift the bike with your back to the tank effectively walking backwards while lifting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

That sucks! Glad you're ok though, live and learn.

Damage is probably cheaper than what I just paid to do the fork seals and replace a fork leg , all from a tiny stone chip you could just about see and feel with a finger nail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    That is ****ty dude, sorry to hear that. Glad you are okay.....in relation to lifting the bike on your own, if you can open the side stand and stick it in gear if not already. Lock the handle bars and lift the bike with your back to the tank effectively walking backwards while lifting it.

I've dropped the TDM twice. and it needs 2 to lift it back up :mad:, having said that, she is more than welcome to demonstate:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I've dropped the TDM twice. and it needs 2 to lift it back up :mad:, having said that, she is more than welcome to demonstate:p

I wouldn't bet against her. That Harley weighs nearly 100 lbs more than your TDM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Think its more to do with the centre of gravity rather than the actual weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Motherf*cker!

Thankfully I always do a walkaround check before I ride anywhere, cause it turns out that fall last week also bent my brake lever. Took the bike up and down the drive and the brakes still seem to be absolutely fine, but the brake lights won't go off.

It's fine, I wanted to take the car to the shop anyway... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Skip to 2m10s in to bypass the shíte and see the lift! I was looking for a bike lifting vid before, impossible to get one that just cuts to the chase.

In fairness its not the best video but the principal is solid, most bikes would not have the engine bars that big to "Rock" the bike up and get the leverage.

In fairness its not the best video but the principal is solid, most bikes would not have the engine bars that big to "Rock" the bike up and get the leverage.

Bars or no, that is how you pick up your bike once it's fallen. Put her in gear, put the stand down if you can beforehand(and first chance you get if you are on the stand side), hold the brake if you can, use your legs, and push against the bike - it will naturally rise. It's surprisingly easy really, regardless of breed. I started life on GSXR's and ZX7's and ZX9's. I have had them down more often than I care to recount. This method has them back up quick. It was one of the first things they taught us in the MCR course stateside when I was young. You can cheat a bit if your bike is high and heavy and flat by using your arms to lift the frame and handles a bit as you push the bike against it's tires. Just be careful not to put too much back in to it. You really just need to get the tires to grab the road, then it is all legs.

• Advertisement

Reindeer wrote: »
    Bars or no, that is how you pick up your bike once it's fallen.

*best surfer dude voice

Errr, yeah I know brah, I posted the video in the first place......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭COH

Sold my sv650 yesterday after about a year on it - great bike for around town and the odd weekend blast but keen to try something a little bigger now...

Genuine moment of sadness signing her over - quickly followed by the excitement of shopping for a replacement/upgrade :D

Only problem is this interim period where I have no bike and have to get the poxy bus to work... a commute took me <15mins mins the day before yesterday took an hour this morning :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

COH wrote: »
    Sold my sv650 yesterday after about a year on it - great bike for around town and the odd weekend blast but keen to try something a little bigger now...

Genuine moment of sadness signing her over - quickly followed by the excitement of shopping for a replacement/upgrade :D

Only problem is this interim period where I have no bike and have to get the poxy bus to work... a commute took me <15mins mins the day before yesterday took an hour this morning :mad:

What ya getting next?

GBX wrote: »
    What ya getting next?

z1000sx if can find one that fits the budget.. possibly a tiger 800, but I think I'm pretty set on the Z!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I like the Z. Got an FZ1 at the time instead. Enjoy which ever ya buy

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Spotted in Poland..
    2krwuc9tf6uy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zascar wrote: »
    Spotted in Poland..
    2krwuc9tf6uy.jpg

I'll buy that seat..............:)

z1000sx if can find one that fits the budget.. possibly a tiger 800, but I think I'm pretty set on the Z!

I had a prolonged test drive on a brand new one in McCallens when they launched, it was a very good bike but I found the seating position on them terrible. It was trying to be two different bikes (sportsbike and tourer) at the same time and I felt that the bars were too low and the seat to high.

Remember the screen being really cheap in feel and looks, but its was a very very nice bike.

I had a prolonged test drive on a brand new one in McCallens when they launched, it was a very good bike but I found the seating position on them terrible. It was trying to be two different bikes (sportsbike and tourer) at the same time and I felt that the bars were too low and the seat to high.

Remember the screen being really cheap in feel and looks, but its was a very very nice bike.

Thanks for that mate - yeah understand what you're saying about the seating position... sat on one yesterday out in bikeworld and didn't feel a million miles away from the sv which I kind of liked. Taking one for a test drive tomorrow though anyway though before committing to anything one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Was yours a blue 2005 ??

• Advertisement

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Was yours a blue 2005 ??

No ... 2012 white with blue centre stripe

No ... 2012 white with blue centre stripe

Ah right I saw one sold the other day that was my old bike.

I love seeing old bikes or cars I used to own either up for sale or out on the road!

Anyone one else feel he same?

Thanks for that mate - yeah understand what you're saying about the seating position... sat on one yesterday out in bikeworld and didn't feel a million miles away from the sv which I kind of liked. Taking one for a test drive tomorrow though anyway though before committing to anything one way or another.

Also second what Wondaboy said. It was too of my list a few years ago but after a test ride I also felt it was trying to be 2 bikes but it didn't succeed in being either well.

I ended up buying a vfr1200 which I only kept for a few months !

Anyone tried one of those new Ducati Scrambler things?

No but id love too, retro looks but modern tech whats not too like...loike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

No but id love too, retro looks but modern tech whats not too like...loike!

Do you have a designer stubble beard and a super model girlfriend ?

Nah I'll leave all that posing stuff to you mate.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Nah I'll leave all that posing stuff to you mate.....;)

Cheers, you'd be just taking up space outside Star Bucks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

D3V!L wrote: »
    Cheers, you'd be just taking up space outside Star Bucks anyway.

You'd be better off with a sports bike and that power ranger look......hang around in groups discussing Rossi......:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd love a go on one. They look pretty cool and would be interested to see how they ride. Not many around and not cheap though.

Advertisement