Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honda Deauville 650, drives so smoothly and handles like a dream. I know it's often called the Dullville, but I bloody well love this bike.

Well wear.... Should have got the XJ. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Deauville is an underrated bike, easy to live with shaft drive, few problems generally and a decent set of built in panniers.
    Watch the reg/rec same old crap Honda setup that can boil the battery. Make sure the splines in the drive hub are greased well with Moly paste or at a pinch Moly based grease.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMQEX0GVD5hnhDRD1KjfiWqHa-0tSbBlK3dGiRN2yLn1M9jjBrKxcA6zhnYtqiK4g?key=VHNGeDlUOEJfancyaTRLLS1oMUh3Y2w3UXZya0l3
    The result if not done is worn splines.
    There are 3 O-rings as well that stop the grease from being flung out and these are worth replacing at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

zubair wrote: »
    Well wear.... Should have got the XJ. :p

Someone else bought it sadly. Honestly though, as much as I enjoyed riding it, it didn't really suit the long term purpose as I wanted to use it for a bit of touring too.

Plus the price on the Honda was way too good to ignore.
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Deauville is an underrated bike, easy to live with shaft drive, few problems generally and a decent set of built in panniers.
    Watch the reg/rec same old crap Honda setup that can boil the battery. Make sure the splines in the drive hub are greased well with Moly paste or at a pinch Moly based grease.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMQEX0GVD5hnhDRD1KjfiWqHa-0tSbBlK3dGiRN2yLn1M9jjBrKxcA6zhnYtqiK4g?key=VHNGeDlUOEJfancyaTRLLS1oMUh3Y2w3UXZya0l3
    The result if not done is worn splines.
    There are 3 O-rings as well that stop the grease from being flung out and these are worth replacing at the same time.

The bike is in great condition overall, a bit of rust around the headers, but it's a 17 year old bike and is to be expected, I'll most likely get it replaced toward the end of the year.

Cheers for the links, I'll have a good read over everything later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

rusty headers... try sand them first I did mine yesterday came up nicely. will need to go back with higher grit again but a quick blast of 100 grit got it good
    before

after

rusty headers... try sand them first I did mine yesterday came up nicely. will need to go back with higher grit again but a quick blast of 100 grit got it good
    before

after

Any chance you can re-try with the photos Frozen? What level grit did you use for the paper?

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Any chance you can re-try with the photos Frozen? What level grit did you use for the paper?

try this link http://imgur.com/a/NW222

started with 60 grit then 100 grit that's all so far

it's covered in small scratches now that will need to be worked out with higher grit again

it's covered in small scratches now that will need to be worked out with higher grit again

Ah that's great, I'm heading in to town in the next while, so I'll see about picking up some then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Watch the reg/rec same old crap Honda setup that can boil the battery.

I second this part, in fact I would go as far to say change the lot if you have the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

What do you guys use for cleaning and protecting your leathers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭noelf

Trim classic car show today ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Nice work, that's good to know, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Dont bother with sandpaper on headers. Just use Harpic Power Plus.
    Put it on with a paint brush and your headers will come up like new. No scrubbing needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

goodlad wrote: »
    Put it on with a paint brush and your headers will come up like new. No scrubbing needed.

Ye, not so sure about the sandpaper. I haven't used the bleach approach myself but have heard of it. I use aoutsol, a rag and some elbow grease, comes up good as new every time.

Waste of time that sanding ****e it's back to having dark spots on it again

Get the black harpic. It has a small % of hydrochloric acid in it. It will bring them up lovely. Then just finish off with some autosol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Skerries train station.

clampedbike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭GBX

B*stards ! One of them yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Foreign regs probably parked to go into city centre

Clamps are begging to be taken off and confiscated, scumbags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Why would they clamp them? No pay and display or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

made the mistake of taking up a parking space maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Pr1cks. I got clamped once, in work, Was miles out of the way of everything. Bloody frustrating.

those are mad looking disc locks they have on the continent

Not a bloody chance of removing all this is there.

I've had a fair go during the day and cleared up most of the small stuff, but that header looks to be way too much

rclTARom.jpg
    F4nTRuCm.jpg
    F4nTRuCm.jpg
    BWPT9AZm.jpg
    JoApyLzm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

goodlad wrote: »

Seriously? I just bought autosol, was going to use that. Your method sounds a bit easier. Is there anything that can be used to protect them to keep them in half decent nick at least?

Cienciano wrote: »
    Seriously? I just bought autosol, was going to use that. Your method sounds a bit easier. Is there anything that can be used to protect them to keep them in half decent nick at least?

Seriously man. Ive seen more and more people do it. Anyone who thought it was bull just tried it and ate their words. Video of a lad trying it out here.

https://youtu.be/ZXcM6g-JaBo?t=40

jesus those headers are manky mine were just brown like in that video but not even as bad

I watched a few more bleach on headers videos and I'm going to try it but two other videos said you have to use something like autosol after

bleach gets the main amount of the **** off and autosol brings it up to a shine and gets it smooth so there won't be little pitted bits for rust to start again

take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt because source for this great information: directly out of my arse after watching a couple of videos...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,130 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Public safety announcement. :pac:

The thing normally called bleach is sodium hypochlorite.
    Harpic is dilute hydrochloric acid.

When the two mix they produce chlorine gas and salt water.

https://www.hunker.com/12542312/hazards-of-mixing-bleach-with-hydrochloric-acid

So don't go mixing extra "bleach" for good measure. Not that anyone suggested that. Just saying.

jesus those headers are manky mine were just brown like in that video but not even as bad

I watched a few more bleach on headers videos and I'm going to try it but two other videos said you have to use something like autosol after

bleach gets the main amount of the **** off and autosol brings it up to a shine and gets it smooth so there won't be little pitted bits for rust to start again

take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt because source for this great information: directly out of my arse after watching a couple of videos...

These are fairly shocking, I don't think they've ever been given a proper clean in 17 years. Can't even tell if the exhaust has been replaced in the past.

Went at it today with the ol Harpic and giving it a good few goes over the next few days that I have off from work. Looks better already, but I'd like to keep the exhaust going another while before getting the replacement.

I tried with hypochlorite based stuff first because I couldn't find harpic - did **** all

remembered leaving cert chemistry and cleaned the bejesus out of everything in between (but warning very appreciated lumen)

went fishing in the bin and found an empty thing of black bottle harpic as suggested, got just enough out to have a little go..

magic cleaning juice.

slightly yellow but shiny bits instantly yellow gone. really filthy discloured bits slightly brightened, in between bits brought more shiny..

IMO would still require autosol or something after but seriously magic cleaning juice all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Deffo should be wearing gloves I tell you that.....but it looks like it does the job. All you peasants with old crusty bikes let me know how you get on......:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement