Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Did bottom yoke

422700.jpg

422701.jpg

Magic cleaning juice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Did bottom yoke

Magic cleaning juice

Woah, thats seriously good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I tried with hypochlorite based stuff first because I couldn't find harpic - did **** all

remembered leaving cert chemistry and cleaned the bejesus out of everything in between (but warning very appreciated lumen)

went fishing in the bin and found an empty thing of black bottle harpic as suggested, got just enough out to have a little go..

magic cleaning juice.

slightly yellow but shiny bits instantly yellow gone. really filthy discloured bits slightly brightened, in between bits brought more shiny..

IMO would still require autosol or something after but seriously magic cleaning juice all the same

Remember to wash it down with an alkaline solution afterwards to neutralise the acid or it will keep working and that could have bad results for paint.
    Some bike cleaners are base not acidic, I think no more dirty bike could be alkali based not sure.
    Use plenty of water to rinse the acid off afterwards.

I hosed down for a good while after and took it for a spin to dry off so hope I got it all off, will be buying a bottle of the stuff tomorrow to do more and will probably wash with cleaner stuff after to make sure it's all gone

Really good stuff but some bits it doesn't really do much and others like that yoke it is like magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A lad here had one of those "do not move your vehicle" stickers stuck to his tank before and it took paint with it when removed. If it's your bike be careful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I hosed down for a good while after and took it for a spin to dry off so hope I got it all off, will be buying a bottle of the stuff tomorrow to do more and will probably wash with cleaner stuff after to make sure it's all gone

Really good stuff but some bits it doesn't really do much and others like that yoke it is like magic

while it took off a lot of the surface rust, you can see some breaks in the paint where it originated from - gonna need to treat them else you'll be back to square one in a couple of weeks imo

Wossack wrote: »
    while it took off a lot of the surface rust, you can see some breaks in the paint where it originated from - gonna need to treat them else you'll be back to square one in a couple of weeks imo

is my yoke painted? I was just assuming it was bare cast aluminium

I have only done one side of it anyway because I had so little harpic left so will be going back to give it a proper go over and will check if there is paint missing if it is painted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Im just assuming it is, as alu wouldnt rust. See if a magnet sticks to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

After a fair amount of scrubbing yesterday in the sun, and a bit today when the rain stops, I've been working on the rust around the bike.

Little I can do about the large clumps on the headers, but even so.

Gear lever:

Lziq3Lrm.jpg
    JPe5OWSm.jpg

Rear brake disc and rim:

kDL35EHm.jpg
    jgmQaTvm.jpg
    FTkjiOrm.jpg

Still a lot of work to do really, the engine block is pretty scratched up and paint gone from it and the exhaust will probably need replacing in the future.

lVXOCpYm.jpg

But overall, I'm damn pleased with her. The brake discs were all tarnished, rims filthy with spots of rust on them.

NmN2LFam.jpg

nice dog he is happy about the cleaning
    Wossack wrote: »
    Im just assuming it is, as alu wouldnt rust. See if a magnet sticks to it

magnet does stick so not aluminium & probably painted so right? I will need to touch it up in that case.. can't see myself taking it off though in the near future maybe in the winter

• Advertisement

jesus those headers are manky mine were just brown like in that video but not even as bad

I watched a few more bleach on headers videos and I'm going to try it but two other videos said you have to use something like autosol after

bleach gets the main amount of the **** off and autosol brings it up to a shine and gets it smooth so there won't be little pitted bits for rust to start again

take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt because source for this great information: directly out of my arse after watching a couple of videos...
    I plan on doing exactly that. Bleach then autosol. Mine aren't as bad as the video either

"Wicklow gap..WARNING"

remember that thread?

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/261205/vallymount-driver-pleads-guilty-to-dangerous-driving-around-motorcyclists.html

the summary is he had no insurance and was disqualified (already at the time)

and has been given 2 years disqualification.

wonder what punishment would I get for doing even a fraction of the dangerous **** he did as I am a 22 year old with license insurance tax etc.. probably a lot more punishment than from him trying to kill bikers over many months

I'm going up to faugheen tomorrow and sunday also will anyone else be up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sonics2k wrote: »
    After a fair amount of scrubbing yesterday in the sun, and a bit today when the rain stops, I've been working on the rust around the bike.

Good job. :D

Seems it was a little neglected though so i would worry less about the rust and check some of the more vital components. I presume you haven't test driven it given the state of the brakes. Make sure to pay lots of attention to it while youre cleaning it that's when you spot the hidden problems. And am sure the current exhaust will last so don't worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I suppose no point locking the Phantom up only to find him after mysteriously disappearing the very next morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

So THAT's how my bike was made!

Cool Video!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're probably road racers now :p

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lads, whats the general consensus on XLMoto.ie?

I did a search of them here and only found one post which was saying they had a sale on about two weeks ago.

They appear to have some decent prices on waterproofs at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I just found out about a bike run/show tomorrow. Bit out of the way for most of you guys, but if anyone else is going give me a shout, it'd be good to have more people for the run to it.

Ballintra Bike Show

• Advertisement

Well as you may or may not know I got a set of Metzeler Roadtecs 01 last week, very nice tyres. Have done less then 100 miles on them when yesterday while out and about my new rear got "sliced" by something. Luckily enough I was pulling away from a set of lights and was only doing about 20kph when the tyre burst with a really loud bang....instant flat.

Initially I taught I had run over something and it clocked the underneath of the bike the bang was so loud, but when walking around the bike I copped the flat.

You can barely see the entry point on outside so much so that I taught the bead of the tyre went, but the inside of the tyre....well holy **** ted!

https://ibb.co/h0voXF

The rip is about 3 inches long, incredible what ever ripped it.

No patching that, so new tyre ordered!

shit one get on to metzeler they may want it back to have a look at it to see if it was a manufacturing fault, they'd probably give you a discount or free replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Holy sh1tballs, buy a lotto ticket, glad you're ok man, even if your wallet isn't!

Yeah blessed I wasnt doing the Monaghan run I tell ya that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've come over to the dark side, hello there...
    p8XEo4Ih.jpg

getting it home was a bit of a fun trip too
    ZQb007dh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nice youth mate..........:D:D:D:D

Which one are you...???

newWhangamomona-09-083.gif

NEC show, i've never gone but thinking of heading over this year,

what's the best way of getting sterling? no idea what I would be buying depends on prices so wouldn't like to get sterling here only to have to either spend it all or else change it back after.. can you convert it over there handy enough with decent fees at ATMs?

and secondly with flights they all seem very expensive.. best thing I've found for me seems to be getting the bus to dublin really early, flight to birmingham and then flght back to shannon that evening and it's still 60 quid, can remember last year people mentioning flights were around 25 return.. any ideas about how I'd do it cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

what's the best way of getting sterling? no idea what I would be buying depends on prices so wouldn't like to get sterling here only to have to either spend it all or else change it back after.. can you convert it over there handy enough with decent fees at ATMs?

and secondly with flights they all seem very expensive.. best thing I've found for me seems to be getting the bus to dublin really early, flight to birmingham and then flght back to shannon that evening and it's still 60 quid, can remember last year people mentioning flights were around 25 return.. any ideas about how I'd do it cheaper

Anything I've bought over there I've just used my card and got the rate on the day.

Were those €25 flights out of Dublin or Shannon? Ive paid €20/25 out of Dublin return but I recall lads saying it was dearer out of Shannon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

And remember that you get free admission to the show when you show your passport and boarding card at the press office outside the entrance. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I use https://revolut.com/ it gives you the interbank rate, saves you about 2-4% on average. Plus it's real easy to use, and the app gives you's instant exchange rates after you've bought something, so you know what it cost in real money.

Advertisement