Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ah that's the job looks like that would be handy for amazon and stuff too. Could I use that to get actual cash over there too or just card stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, you can take out £200 (I think) a month commission free , then it's something like 2% commission after that. You make good savings on Amazon, the exchange rate they offer is awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So stupid question time.
    How do you hill start on a bike?

Is it just a case of balancing the clutch, front brake and roll a bit of throttle or should you be putting it in gear and switching legs to use the back brake to hold you leaving your throttle hand a bit freer?

switch legs and have your foot back on the brake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In gear, clutch in. Right foot on rear brake pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

switch legs and have your foot back on the brake
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    In gear, clutch in. Right foot on rear brake pedal.

Yes, I thought that would make more sense, just need the extra time to get it right at the beginning. :)

Yes, I thought that would make more sense, just need the extra time to get it right at the beginning. :)

Get out trailriding, there must be plenty of areas around NP. That will stand you in good stead for riding on the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ok lee Honda are doing a good deal on oil.

My manual recommends

4 stroke oil
    API service classification : SG or higher ( except oils that are labeled energy saving)
    Viscosity SAE 10W-30 ( I have been using 10W-40 with no issues )
    JASO T 903 standard : MA

So would this oil be ok apart from the 10W-40

http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/petronas-syntium-4sx-10w40-4l-incl-hiflofiltro-oil-filter-3061-p.asp

Ok lee Honda are doing a good deal on oil.

My manual recommends

4 stroke oil
    API service classification : SG or higher ( except oils that are labeled energy saving)
    Viscosity SAE 10W-30 ( I have been using 10W-40 with no issues )
    JASO T 903 standard : MA

So would this oil be ok apart from the 10W-40

http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/petronas-syntium-4sx-10w40-4l-incl-hiflofiltro-oil-filter-3061-p.asp

That oil should be fine, your engine is half a Jazz car engine so relatively low revving and shouldn't stress the oil too much.
    Its MA2 rated so will be fine.
    Petronas is a big enough company, based in Malaysia but I don't know where the oil is made.
    I'd have no problems using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I need brake discs - rear definitely and pads. Where would you recommend to buy/get done. Im in Dublin 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There is a very good bike shop in Harolds Cross, Scotts bikes I think it is. Very good shop by all accounts......at the main junction where left brings you down to the old cinema and Rosie O Gradys take a right and they are more or less across the road from Kenilworth motors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/ was cheapest for me. Easy DIY job to fit, but check if you need to use new bolts and/or thread lock.

Scrap the cap!

GBX wrote: »
    I need brake discs - rear definitely and pads. Where would you recommend to buy/get done. Im in Dublin 12.

Replace them yourself and use ebay, why in gods name would you pay someone to do a job that takes 20 minutes,.

An a side note went up sally gap today, my God came across one aggressive car driver. literally up any other cars hole, intimidating them to overtake. Never seen the likes.Took it handy myself, those roads have gone to 5hit, covered in gravel and all sorts of rubbish . wouldn't be recommending to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

GBX wrote:

Wonda-Boy wrote:
    There is a very good bike shop in Harolds Cross, Scotts bikes I think it is. Very good shop by all accounts......at the main junction where left brings you down to the old cinema and Rosie O Gradys take a right and they are more or less across the road from Kenilworth motors.

+1 for Scott's bikes...Stefan is main guy there ..Deffo worth a visit..

If someone isn't capable of changing the discs on their bike, we really should introduce an nct because they clearly aren't even able to tell whether their bike is road worthy.

It's literally a 5 minute job

In fact the guy beside me, who parks beside me. His chain is literally hanging off. Should I tell him or let him wait 8 months to go to a shop?

Last time I had to change discs on a bike the bolts were so tight had to get a mate to help. He welded a piece onto the bolts to try turn em lose. Dont have the tools to do that this time if it does need same.

Cheers for the link. I'll pick one up.

No problem doing a bit of maintenance etc but as I said certain things outta my reach. If lads need welding tools to bypass and NCT I'll invest.

If someone isn't capable of changing the discs on their bike, we really should introduce an nct

Jesus H Christ dont mention NCT and motorbikes in the same sentence!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

If someone isn't capable of changing the discs on their bike, we really should introduce an nct because they clearly aren't even able to tell whether their bike is road worthy.

It's literally a 5 minute job

In fact the guy beside me, who parks beside me. His chain is literally hanging off. Should I tell him or let him wait 8 months to go to a shop?

you can be capable, and still get a professional to do it for you

at a basic level, not many people will be able to lift the front wheel to have it removed, for example

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wossack wrote: »
    Im not sure I'd recommend these when trying to remove bolts from cast alloy wheels tbh

Remove wheels?

..... Pins and screws from brake calipers..

listermint wrote: »
    Remove wheels?

..... Pins and screws from brake calipers..

convo's about removing discs from wheels

at a basic level, not many people will be able to lift the front wheel to have it removed, for example

Fully understand someone who couldnt be arsed and pays someone to do it but for safety sake they should still know how to do it which btw GBX appears to. Wasn't having a dig but bikes are dangerous and alot of clowns cant even tell if the tyres have air by the looks of some of the bikes you see and with no NCT for bikes people need to know they are road worthy.

Paddock stands are about 30 quid for both sets.
    GBX wrote: »
    Cheers for the link. I'll pick one up.

No problem doing a bit of maintenance etc but as I said certain things outta my reach. If lads need welding tools to bypass and NCT I'll invest.

FYI if anyone here needs the use of a mig welder, Impact wrench or paddock stands or some other non common tool that I might have to do work on their bike give me a shout and il lend you.

So introduce the NCT because the few "clowns" that dont know a brake disc from a compact disc, and the rest of us get hammered with another poxy stealth tax!!!!

HOW ABOUT NO!!!!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    So introduce the NCT because the few "clowns" that dont know a brake disc from a compact disc, and the rest of us get hammered with another poxy stealth tax!!!!

HOW ABOUT NO!!!!!

Each to their own but I would happily pay 40 quid a year to have my bike double checked. Its a small amount of cash for piece of mind, The NCT is a one of the best things ever brought into this country.

I want my family safe so I service my car regularly, I dont want to have to hear some clown has a car that shouldn't be on the road and smashed into them because his brakes dont work. Same with a bike.

How is it a tax, do you think the mechanics in the NCT centre work for free? the government gets 0 money from it.

All you have to do is look at that rte documentary about taxi drivers scamming the nct to know how valid it is. Your just a cheapskate clearly, its nothing, a few pints in cost and 0 goes to government

Ironically all my vehicles are more than road worthy but I still like to have it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,373 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If they can't figure out how to do that without tools, they probably should stick to the cage.

As for NBT, F**k off, I am not letting any bike dealer spanner monkey touch my bike. Far too many bad experiences in the past. I do my own maintenance and trust no one.

Scrap the cap!

Each to their own but I would happily pay 40 quid a year to have my bike double checked. Its a small amount of cash for piece of mind, The NCT is a one of the best things ever brought into this country.

I want my family safe so I service my car regularly, I dont want to have to hear some clown has a car that shouldn't be on the road and smashed into them because his brakes dont work. Same with a bike.

How is it a tax, do you think the mechanics in the NCT centre work for free? the government gets 0 money from it.

All you have to do is look at that rte documentary about taxi drivers scamming the nct to know how valid it is. Your just a cheapskate clearly, its nothing, a few pints in cost and 0 goes to government

Ironically all my vehicles are more than road worthy but I still like to have it done.

Firstly, you dont know me....and just because someone does not agree with your way of thinking does not make them a "cheapskate" :rolleyes:

So hop down off the high horse mate, everyone loves their family regardless of if they approve of the NCT or not. And for you to suggest otherwise makes you look like a gob****e.

FYI, the reason why the government do not get to benefit from the NCT is because they made a mess of the original tender and outsourced the project to a SPANISH firm. Which is typical for this country, the firm (APPLUS) made 4.9m profit alone from the 46 NCT centres in this country.

Not only that, 1.1m of the profits was from VRT which is illegal in this country, proof of which are the fines that Ireland has to pay the EU every year. But with the fines being so low and the revenue so large we gladly pay them and screw the Irish people yet again.

So before you come on here spouting crap and insulting people maybe you should do some research and see why the NCT is a joke.

have they put lead in the water? everyone at each others throats here lately

I met someone on a bike with dangerous brakes, told him and he went and got it sorted. We are a small enough minority on the roads that you can do that and anyone who doesn't follow the advice of someone telling them their bike is dangerous is probably someone who would skip the bike nct anyway

in my opinion there are pros and cons for nct for bikes. I wouldn't like there to be nct for bikes, there is nct for cars yet if you stuck your head in over the wall any night of the week you would never catch me doing a thing to the car compared to what I do for minding on the bike, the same people who drive dangerous bikes around would be the types to not bother with a bike nct or they would have their bike back to dangerous within a few weeks of getting a fresh cert by not paying attention to anything about it.

I want to be able to own loads of bikes when I get more space, another 50 quid each per year then and for what reason because the people who ride around on dangerous bikes are probably the same people who don't have a license or tax or insurance for that bike and they definitely would skip the bike nct if it came in, leaving people who follow all the rules to pay money for someone to go around their pride and joy smacking it with the back of a screw driver to see if anything wobbles.

really and truly I have seen some dodgy bikes out there but probably none that would be off the road if the nct was brought in for bikes (those people would ignore it as I have probably now typed about 10 times)

50 quid per year on its own sounds like nothing but when you are out working on your bike weekly spending many hundreds of euro per year it's a waste. if someone is just spending 50 a year then their bike will be a perpetual **** heap.

and then what are they going to fail a bike on? rusted frame and no pressure at the brake lever or improper sized reg plate, no light on reg plate, improper sized indicators etc.. it would be a racket in the end. sure you'd get a few **** heaps off the road but they will belong to people who nurse them along at 50km/h anyway who were never really at risk of being in a mechanically caused accident

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Advertisement