Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DaveD wrote: »
    Interesting. My bike is due a service and work is mental at the min so struggling to get it in during the week. Was told they do servicing on Saturdays. Wonder who’ll be servicing my bike so :confused:

Maybe they'll take it Saturday.... Give it back Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My bike was in their workshop last Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I must have picked them up wrong so, but I could have sworn I was told that their mechanics don't work on Saturdays, not so bad so. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

How the hell have they got away with this for so long. I have heard nothing but bad experiences from friends about that place, and quite a few at that. The mind boggles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I must have picked them up wrong so, but I could have sworn I was told that their mechanics don't work on Saturdays, not so bad so. Thanks.
    From reading on here it would appear that their "Mechanics" don't do a whole lot any day

• Advertisement

A correction, I was taking my bike out this morning and remembered (I think) that it was Bikeworld which doesn't have mechanics working on Saturdays.

Its definitely not Saturday [in JD's] because I just booked my son's bike back in ~ this Saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

What's the feedback on Maddocks in Bray for servicing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Riva10 wrote: »
    From reading on here it would appear that their "Mechanics" don't do a whole lot any day

Just to balance it out, Sean is a mechanic in there and he's top notch. If I could just deal with him in there I'd recommend the place. I haven't really dealt with them since he started there.

Just remembered another story about Joe Duffy :pac:. Left my bike in for servicing one morning. Was told it would be ready that evening. Grand, dropped the bike in about 8:30 and got the public transport into town for work from beside their shop. Buses back out from south Dublin that evening to pick up the bike. Bike wasn't ready, they hadn't even started it. I was able to take the bike back home that evening with nothing done to it and bring it in the next day. Next day I brought it back in. To avoid having to use busses again, I had to call into JD (I passed by anyway), pick up a guy, drive to work with him as pillion, hop off at work and he took my bike back to JD where it was serviced that day. Obviously just an admin fúck up that can happen anywhere and my bike was forgotten about, but not great when they were charging such crazy prices for servicing. A phonecall to say it wouldn't be ready would have saved me a lot of completely unnecessary fúcking about.

Here's another. Wanted new handlebar grips for a 1150gs. Asked JD for a price. At the time labour was about €120 per hour. Thought grips would be fancy BMW ones that I pay over the odds for, but couldn't be more than, say €30.
    No, I was told the grips and heating element of the grips (they were heated grips bty) had a wiring loom straight in and you had to replace the entire loom. To rewire them in required removing the tank, a 2 or 3 hour job. The price for the part (grips with wiring loom) was about €250. So, new grips for my GS supplied and fitted from Joe Duffy who were charging about €120 per hour would end up costing me well over €500!
    So bought a pair in bikeworld pealed off the old ones, put the new ones on, took me about 20 minutes. They were perfect and it cost me €8.
    Now the wiring loom thing might be the official line from BMW, but seriously, that's crazy! I did read on another thread that replacing a bulb on an 8 series needed the bumper removed, so labour included cost in total about €200 to replace a bulb. The grips thing is similar :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

My NCx came with a Givi Monokey rack but no top box. My blackbird has a Monorack system. Is it a simple case of buying a monorack system for the NCx so I can just change the topbox over when needed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

thos wrote: »
    What's the feedback on Maddocks in Bray for servicing?

Go to Mark in Platinum (Bray).....nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My NCx came with a Givi Monokey rack but no top box. My blackbird has a Monorack system. Is it a simple case of buying a monorack system for the NCx so I can just change the topbox over when needed?

Yes, just buy the same system as the Blackbird, use the same box on both bikes.
    I prefer the Monokey myself.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Yes, just buy the same system as the Blackbird, use the same box on both bikes.
    I prefer the Monokey myself.

Nah still confused:o All im seeing is Adapter plates, arms, and pictures dont seem to match up.

So the topbox on the blackbird fits the monorack system. I want this topbox to fit onto my NC. Do I need a whole new rack system or just an adapter plate? https://www.louis.ie/artikel/monorack-fitting-plate-fuer-honda-nc-750-x-xd-mit-dct/10023576?filter_bike_id=3165&list=a510c0e8a85a1fb984dd8db9efc76ba2

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/top-case-adapter-plate-monolock-universal/10023465?filter_article_number=10023465&list=2a25ed5a670bd30901a4a67713a14d48

Or am I better off taking advantage of louis.de sale and getting this https://www.louis.ie/artikel/givi-top-case-b47-blade-monolock-47-litres/10023145?filter_article_number=10023145&list=27768210901f4610438ce8f7ef52cebb

Is 47L massive. Would it look too big on the back of an NC?
    Just seen this https://touch.adverts.ie/accessories/givi-universal-base-plate/13979272

Would this be any use to me?

Nah still confused:o All im seeing is Adapter plates, arms, and pictures dont seem to match up.

So the topbox on the blackbird fits the monorack system. I want this topbox to fit onto my NC. Do I need a whole new rack system or just an adapter plate? https://www.louis.ie/artikel/monorack-fitting-plate-fuer-honda-nc-750-x-xd-mit-dct/10023576?filter_bike_id=3165&list=a510c0e8a85a1fb984dd8db9efc76ba2

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/top-case-adapter-plate-monolock-universal/10023465?filter_article_number=10023465&list=2a25ed5a670bd30901a4a67713a14d48

Or am I better off taking advantage of louis.de sale and getting this https://www.louis.ie/artikel/givi-top-case-b47-blade-monolock-47-litres/10023145?filter_article_number=10023145&list=27768210901f4610438ce8f7ef52cebb

Just seen this https://touch.adverts.ie/accessories/givi-universal-base-plate/13979272

You'll want the 47 if you want to carry anything worthwhile mine just about did two lids in it and nothing else. Or a full laptop bag and space for a small lock and chain

The two systems that Givi have are Monokey and Monolock.
    Monokey has two T shaped Pins that slide into recesses on the bottom of the box.
    Monolock has a Rail with rectangular holes that the box hooks under.
    What is on the back of the NC? is it a flat plate that can take an adaptor or is it just two rails that a plate mounts to?

The B47 box looks handy and comes with all the mounts but then you have two boxes is that necessary, or do you want to increase the size of your storage?

The two systems that Givi have are Monokey and Monolock.
    Monokey has two T shaped Pins that slide into recesses on the bottom of the box.
    Monolock has a Rail with rectangular holes that the box hooks under.
    What is on the back of the NC? is it a flat plate that can take an adaptor or is it just two rails that a plate mounts to?

The B47 box looks handy and comes with all the mounts but then you have two boxes is that necessary, or do you want to increase the size of your storage?

The NC currently has this aeb8cl.jpg

The BB has this [URL]http://[/URL]34s3tjp.jpg

Really im looking for the cheapest option. The box on the BB is fine size wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Any pic of the underside of the box?
    That seems to be a MM plate on the blackbird for monolock boxes.
    I don't think the hardware with that one on adverts will fit on your bike but I'm not certain.
    So it looks like you need a monolock plate and hardware for the NC.

Agreed.
    The link you posted, https://www.louis.ie/artikel/monorack-fitting-plate/10023576?list=24e531320b137eb5bf57c43a75a56536

The plate you need is the bottom one in the versions dropdown menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Agreed.
    The link you posted, https://www.louis.ie/artikel/monorack-fitting-plate/10023576?list=24e531320b137eb5bf57c43a75a56536

The plate you need is the bottom one in the versions dropdown menu.

Just to be clear...it's this one isn't CJ
    2qles8x.jpg

Just on a side note, I have Givi and Kappa boxes and the plates and the bases of the boxes are identical.

Do Givi and Kappa get their boxes made by the same factory and just put their names on them?

blade1 wrote: »
    Just to be clear...it's this one isn't CJ
    2qles8x.jpg

Just on a side note, I have Givi and Kappa boxes and the plates and the bases of the boxes are identical.

Do Givi and Kappa get their boxes made by the same factory and just put their names on them?

Yes thats the one.
    I think they are identical just different branding, I have a Kappa plate that looks identical to the Givi one except for the box and branding.

So annoying having to bring a bike back a second time for the same issue, two weeks ago I was seriously considering buying (secondhand) from JD's.. Their sales team attitude with customers is first class, massive change from a few years ago ~ but confidence in their service department is taking a beating I'm afraid.

Although a secondhand bike gets a 12 month BMW warranty, is it worth a hassle?.

Just a small comparison betweek BW and JD.

When I wanted to test ride the Z1000 I wasn't allowed until they changed the front tyre (looked fine to me) because the mechanics deemed it too worn.

Last week I took a GS out of JD's and only when the rear spun out that I checked the rear, and D3V!L has seen this ~ the tyre was bald, cracked and tore to absolute sh*t.

Decisions, decisions.

• Advertisement

So annoying having to bring a bike back a second time for the same issue, two weeks ago I was seriously considering buying (secondhand) from JD's.. Their sales team attitude with customers is first class, massive change from a few years ago ~ but confidence in their service department is taking a beating I'm afraid.

Although a secondhand bike gets a 12 month BMW warranty, is it worth a hassle?.

Just a small comparison betweek BW and JD.

When I wanted to test ride the Z1000 I wasn't allowed until they changed the front tyre (looked fine to me) because the mechanics deemed it too worn.

Last week I took a GS out of JD's and only when the rear spun out that I checked the rear, and D3V!L has seen this ~ the tyre was bald, cracked and tore to absolute sh*t.

Decisions, decisions.

It's very unlikely I'd set foot in the place unless I have a serious problem with my bike. I was offered the first service free which is about €200 and I decided to pay for it and bring my bike to Belfast to get it done.

Take from that what you will.

D3V!L wrote: »
    It's very unlikely I'd set foot in the place unless I have a serious problem with my bike. I was offered the first service free which is about €200 and I decided to pay for it and bring my bike to Belfast to get it done.

Take from that what you will.

Yea, I didn't waste my my day going back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Spent 3 days in a row calling about a bike, never got a call back, so went elsewhere. They would definitely turn me off owning a BMW bike.

Thanks for the info above. Ive ordered the givi item along with front pads and new base plate for my helmet. Used the 20 euro voucher also:)

Got pulled for filtering today, Its a national route were traffic is backed up daily same time everyday either stationary or moving 2-30kmph. I was going about 45-50Kmph Filtering down the centre.

When unmarked car pulled me and indicated that i was doing 80kmph, and that he knew this because he was driving alongside my for a few minutes at that speed to make sure - despite him appearing out of no where in the hard shoulder and the traffic on both sides being stationary or slow moving he and i were doing 80Kmph for a few minutes....

I mean why the hell would i drive at those speeds between cars, ive a newborn on the way. The guy then said to me You motorcyclists are all the same. I knew then it was pointless talking to him. He had made his mind up ticket to follow.

Not a single point on my license clean as day and i go out of my way to be careful on the roads. Ive no time for shenanigans even my bike is just a dull DL650 upright riding position.

Both fuming that my license is now tarnished based on nothing more than assumptions and annoyed that I have no option of rebuttal. I even passed a static traffic car that had pulled in someone for what appears to be Mobile Phone use on the same hard shoulder about 8 seconds before hand yet i continued to do my 80Kmph hour.......

:mad:

Oh and to top it all off i now have to watch myself because 'We will be meeting each other in future' Cheers for the added anxiety, much appreciated Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭Stiletto72

listermint wrote: »
    Got pulled for filtering today...

I think I would be asking for the evidence if I were you.
    Do you have a camera on the bike or a helmet cam?

Stiletto72 wrote: »

Also was it a solid or broken white line ?

So are you being prosecuted or you just got a bollocking from a wanker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

A friend got done recently for filtering on n11.
    Fine in post was for driving without due care and attention, 2 points.
    What's the point in having a bike if you can't filter past stop starting commuting traffic.
    They need to clear up the grey area over it, it's either legal or it's not. And let's face it the gardai bikers are doing it every day themselves.

• Advertisement

Stiletto72 wrote: »

Didn't have it on today . And he's has no camera either pure speculation on his part apparently you can tell 80 kmph from a standing position sitting in the inside lane on a road. Drove the road in this morning and I couldn't get anywhere near up to 80 without the traffic putting the frighteners on you. I'm sorry but he is plane wrong.

Advertisement