Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I need something relatively big with luggage carrying capacity.

I sometimes carry a pillion too.

Don't take it as a slight against your bike, I think its beautiful and I'd love one. But not for every day use (for me).

No, wasn't taking it as a slight at all, I was just curious.

I do agree that it has very limited luggage ability and not suitable for a pillion. That's why I kept my GS. :D

I use the bobber for day to day commute and for weekend spins (when weather allows).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Paulw wrote: »

I do agree that it has very limited luggage ability and not suitable for a pillion. That's why I kept my GS. :D

I use the bobber for day to day commute and for weekend spins (when weather allows).

In hindsight I'm raging I didn't take the test bike for a spin, everyone who did raved about it. Although most said they'd change the seat and pipes, the original pipes are just too quiet.

Until now I've only really seen Indian bikes at shows, and I never liked them. But seeing them in Franklin's really opened my eyes to them and given a choice between a Harley and an India I think I'd go with Indian (in fact I know I would).

The shop is a little off the beaten track, and I guess he's aiming at a niche market. I hope the marque grows here and Franklin's is a huge success.

I seen you talking to one of the ladies from the Fire Dollz about the seat, had I known it was you I'd have introduced myself.

Best of luck with the bike, she's a little cracker.

In hindsight I'm raging I didn't take the test bike for a spin, everyone who did raved about it. Although most said they'd change the seat and pipes, the original pipes are just too quiet.

Well, you should give Franklin's a shout and they'll let you test the bobber any time. Everyone that rides it comes back with a grin on their face.

I changed the pipes, the seat and the headlight. Next on my list is the suspension. It's a bit too stiff. The bike is mainly designed as a US street hopper, or short commuter. Grand for US smooth streets, but not great on Irish potholes and speed ramps. I do want to soften out the ride a little more.
    The shop is a little off the beaten track, and I guess he's aiming at a niche market. I hope the marque grows here and Franklin's is a huge success.

I think their location is no more off the beaten track than Cotters, and they do fine. I guess it's a matter of spreading the name and brand. Obviously they do a lot more than just Indian bikes, and they will service any make/model bike. They serviced a mate's SV650 and he was well happy with the work they did. They have a wide range of Shoei lids (I bought a new one from them), and they also do Macna gear, Sena comms stuff, Boxer lids, John Doe biker clothing ... and a hell of a lot more. For such a small shop they do carry a good wide range of gear.
    I seen you talking to one of the ladies from the Fire Dollz about the seat, had I known it was you I'd have introduced myself.

Yeah, she wanted to check out the Corbin seat. I asked if she was interested in buying a bobber, and there was a long pause. :D She said she wasn't looking for a new bike but ...... In fact, I was the very same. I wasn't looking for a new bike until I took the bobber for a spin. It's a fun little beast. There was a very good turnout, so, hard to know who was who, from the online world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Paulw wrote: »

Ideally we'd all have 2 bikes. One with luggage carrying ability that you go away for a night on or commute and carry the odd passenger. Then something for going on a spin on, something a bit crazy and impractical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cienciano wrote: »
    Ideally we'd all have 2 bikes. One with luggage carrying ability that you go away for a night on or commute and carry the odd passenger. Then something for going on a spin on, something a bit crazy and impractical.

Or just buy a GS :pac:

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    Or just buy a GS :pac:

Or an XR. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

or an XT1200 :o

Or a Deauville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Finally managed to get some cash together, full Black Widow Exhaust ordered, heated grips incoming and wind deflectors too.

Kudos to the folks here who PM'd me about http://robdavistelford.co.uk/webspace/deauville/ - I read his site before but I reached out to him via email and he was dead sound and has shipped the deflectors to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Or a Deauville

tenor.gif?itemid=5098591

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=5098591

giphy.gif

zubair wrote: »
    Kanye

The thing is, I'd recommend them to anyone but never in a million years get one myself. Great bike, does everything, but something about them, even the name makes me want to fall asleep halfway through reading it.

Cienciano wrote: »
    The thing is, I'd recommend them to anyone but never in a million years get one myself. Great bike, does everything, but something about them, even the name makes me want to fall asleep halfway through reading it.

So, I love my Deauville. It's a great all-rounder, good acceleration, comfy for hours and fair mileage (especially for an 18 year old bike).

But I'll admit, having recently had a go off a GS1200 (possibly too big for my daily use), Crosstourer 1200 and a V-Strom I have to admit some level of 'sexy' is missing from it.

Basically, I'd never recommend going down from a bigger bike to the Deauville, but I'd absolutely 100% recommend it to a new driver.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, I love my Deauville. It's a great all-rounder, good acceleration, comfy for hours and fair mileage (especially for an 18 year old bike).

But I'll admit, having recently had a go off a GS1200 (possibly too big for my daily use), Crosstourer 1200 and a V-Strom I have to admit some level of 'sexy' is missing from it.

Basically, I'd never recommend going down from a bigger bike to the Deauville, but I'd absolutely 100% recommend it to a new driver.

It's like a decent spec Toyota corolla. Well made, does everything, cheap to run, you can't go wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Gonna spin up to Crossans tomorrow. I've never been. Just wondering if the place has mostly the same stock in person/store as what it has online? - Must be fairly big?

I want to pick up some boots.

Sonics Journal:

Day 6 without a motorbike. I'm starting to get the shakes. Sitting in traffic in the stupid car is a slow and murderous punishment. Journey to work has gone from taking 25 minutes to well over an hour.

God I miss Yolanda (The Honda)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

KonFusion wrote: »
    Gonna spin up to Crossans tomorrow. I've never been. Just wondering if the place has mostly the same stock in person/store as what it has online? - Must be fairly big?

I want to pick up some boots.

They do have a good stock, but you could slip up to BW or Cotters first...Go Compare.....;)

Vstrom 650 or the 1000?.

The Vstrom DL650 was without doubt the most practical bike I've ever owned, I'm really sorry I got rid of it for a Z1000. But the Z1000 was beautiful, but totally impractical for my needs but I'm delighted I can say I've owned one.

I'm on a 1200GS now, and tbh its a toss up between this and the Vstrom DL650.

The only marked difference between the two is fuel consumption (and tank range & size).

The Vstrom would stretch to between 350-400km for a tank of juice, the 1200GS is good for 250km at best before the fuel warning light comes on.

My GS has Ohlins front and rear so it would be unfair to compare the ride quality of both bikes, but the boxer engine with its very low center of gravity is very, very agile.

I'm so happy with the 1200GS that I'm thinking of reversing my usual transport status of a new car every few years and an older bike to having a new GS and keeping my car for a few years longer than I'd normally do.

Another plus in the GS's favor, I can't remember owning a bike and missing it when I haven't rode it for a few days.

So far its neck and neck with the Vstrom as my fav bike. I had the Vstrom a lot longer than I've had this and done a lot of KM's around the country on it. This is my first summer on the GS, so the jury is out.

To date I love the GS.

Vstrom 650 or the 1000?.

The Vstrom DL650 was without doubt the most practical bike I've ever owned, I'm really sorry I got rid of it for a Z1000. But the Z1000 was beautiful, but totally impractical for my needs but I'm delighted I can say I've owned one.

I'm on a 1200GS now, and tbh its a toss up between this and the Vstrom DL650.

The only marked difference between the two is fuel consumption (and tank range & size).

The Vstrom would stretch to between 350-400km for a tank of juice, the 1200GS is good for 250km at best before the fuel warning light comes on.

My GS has Ohlins front and rear so it would be unfair to compare the ride quality of both bikes, but the boxer engine with its very low center of gravity is very, very agile.

I'm so happy with the 1200GS that I'm thinking of reversing my usual transport status of a new car every few years and an older bike to having a new GS and keeping my car for a few years longer than I'd normally do.

Another plus in the GS's favor, I can't remember owning a bike and missing it when I haven't rode it for a few days.

So far its neck and neck with the Vstrom as my fav bike. I had the Vstrom a lot longer than I've had this and done a lot of KM's around the country on it. This is my first summer on the GS, so the jury is out.

To date I love the GS.

VStrom 1000 was the one I tried.

Certainly can't fault you on what you're saying, I absolutely agree based on my experience. The size of the GS is admittedly a bit overwhelming when standing next to it, but it certainly did ride like a beauty.

Oh, and day 7 without the bike. Probably not going to get it back until Saturday. Literally going insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Oh, and day 7 without the bike. Probably not going to get it back until Saturday. Literally going insane.

Try 5 months, glad to have it back now.

• Advertisement

An army buddy and good friend of mine had his bike stolen from his back garden in Lucan last night/early this morning.

Its a KTM Adventure 990, he only has it less than two weeks and the kunts got it all ready.

Can you please share his facebook post HERE

Johnny's a good lad, doesn't deserve this sh*t ~ no more than any of us do.

Any even know where bikes stolen around there are normally dumped/hidden?.

Just bumping this to let you know that my buddy has recovered his bike in Cabra just this weekend.

Delighted for him.. He'd just bought a new one, but the dealer has taken this as a trade so that eases the blow a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Good to hear. Not often they get recovered!

Was there much damage?

GBX wrote: »
    Good to hear. Not often they get recovered!

Was there much damage?

I haven't seen the bike but the ignition barrel is fooked, as are both petrol caps and left front indicator.

Then generally filthy from the little fvckers rallying it around the fields.

If I get some photos I'll post them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

So I need to see about getting a new lid. Anyone come across any good deals or point me in the right direction of current well rated makes/models. Ride a naked so will need good noise reduction, after that im open to suggestions. Will probably buy in visorshop to avail of the vat exception.
    Will also try on in person, wont take a punt on buying online. Just to add, budget €300-400 before somebody suggests rossi or guy martin replicas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I got an AGV for 250 delivered (Was 400+ plus locally in Dublin) - Sportsbikeshop.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

GBX wrote: »
    I got an AGV for 250 delivered (Was 400+ plus locally in Dublin) - Sportsbikeshop.co.uk

Current one is a agv do may look that site up.

Lads, I'm overstepping the bounds of Motorbike focus here, but I've a question of the Dublin based folks here.

An opportunity has come up to work for a good company in Dublin, with great pay. The catch is obviously, I live in Cork, so I'd have to move to Dublin at least during the week and then come home for weekends to the family.

What's a good place to live outside Dublin and is decent for commuting with the bike? Office is smack bang in the middle of the city so I'd want to keep commuting to about an hour or so.

I figure asking you lot would make sense as a good amount live around Dublin and commute on a bike.

Lads, I'm overstepping the bounds of Motorbike focus here, but I've a question of the Dublin based folks here.

An opportunity has come up to work for a good company in Dublin, with great pay. The catch is obviously, I live in Cork, so I'd have to move to Dublin at least during the week and then come home for weekends to the family.

What's a good place to live outside Dublin and is decent for commuting with the bike? Office is smack bang in the middle of the city so I'd want to keep commuting to about an hour or so.

I figure asking you lot would make sense as a good amount live around Dublin and commute on a bike.

Well I'd avoid apartment's for starts, your bike will get nicked.

Outside of that I'm not really sure, I'm commuting from Portmarnock but I cycle too. I'm 20km from work so I'm not much help there, sorry.

Some area's are notorious for bike theft too, like Finglas, Finglas, Finglas, Finglas, Cabra, Ballymun, Finglas, Clondalkin, Lucan, Tallaght, Finglas, East Wall has been coming up on Stolen Bikes Ireland (facebook) lately.. Oh, and Finglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Citywest/ Saggart / Rathcoole. 40 - 20 minute commute to Dublin 2.

• Advertisement

When you say outside Dublin do you mean Dublin city or you want to live in Wicklow or Kildare?

What's your budget and what do you need ? It's a very broad question...

Everywhere is expensive these days but Bray or greystones would be my recommendation

Advertisement