Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well I'd avoid apartment's for starts, your bike will get nicked.

Outside of that I'm not really sure, I'm commuting from Portmarnock but I cycle too. I'm 20km from work so I'm not much help there, sorry.

Some area's are notorious for bike theft too, like Finglas, Finglas, Finglas, Finglas, Cabra, Ballymun, Finglas, Clondalkin, Lucan, Tallaght, Finglas, East Wall has been coming up on Stolen Bikes Ireland (facebook) lately.. Oh, and Finglas.

I lived in an apartment for 3 years in tallaght with about 15 bikes downstairs. Not one nicked. Including my own and my friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lived in Naas and now Newbridge. Both are nice towns and it's around 50 mins from Newbridge to the city centre by bike in rush hour traffic, a lot more by car. bike security is not an issue in either. You'd be a little closer to home on the weekends too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cheers lads.

It's really coming down to either living outside Dublin and commuting, or having to do a house/flat share in the city and only getting on the bike on weekends.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

East Wall has been coming up on Stolen Bikes Ireland (facebook) lately..

They are even going into the East Point Business Park which has security gates and millions of cameras and stealing bikes in plain sight, I know two people who have had bikes nicked from there. One was parked in front of a smoking area with half a dozen people smoking, came in and quickly broke the lock and drove off without anyone even noticing ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Zascar wrote: »
    They are even going into the East Point Business Park which has security gates and millions of cameras and stealing bikes in plain sight, I know two people who have had bikes nicked from there. One was parked in front of a smoking area with half a dozen people smoking, came in and quickly broke the lock and drove off without anyone even noticing ffs

I've heard of those alright.

The Lidl & Aldi stores seem to be hot spots too.

The only downside to biking in Dublin is theft. I'll leave my bike no where for too long. I live in a relatively nice/safe area and my bike is locked to an anchor, then there's two cars blocking it in and two locks on my gate.

And I've two dogs who bark at any noise outside, and I still check the bikes when I get up in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I went out to the Blue Light Pub this evening for the cafe racer meeting. Great turn out and some fantastic machines. Some jammy bastard in a tarted up S1000RR blocked me in thought :pac:

Nearly got taken out of it on the way home in the forecourt of a service station by a c*nt on his phone :mad:. still shaking an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

anyone head'in to Cookstown , see Guy Martin has pulled out,

Sorry lads, I know it's a been asked a few times but damned if I can locate a thread on it.

Can anyone recommend a good quiet helmet for around the €200-€250 price point?

I like the Spada modular helmet, but it's anything but quiet and some of felt is peeling off on the chin guard, and frankly it's pissing me off massively. If I'm wearing two headphones on it I can still hear nothing but wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

listermint wrote: »

I have this helmet. No real complaints except the tab to lock the visor in place broke twice on me. Other than that it is a decent helmet for the price.

MY bad. When I input the colour it jumps to €349

• Advertisement

Boots boots and more boots.

My trusty TCX evo explorer boots need replacing after 6 years commuting. The sole is coming away in places. The alpinestars smx range come recommended here and also daytona boots.

Louis.de are doing a €50 off when you spend €249 or more so what would you think of these for €250. Is it a big deal that they are a racing boot and ill only use for commuting?

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/daytona-strive-gtx-boots/202468?list=8d84aa26f31efb0c4b810901e0f88bc4

listermint wrote: »

Cheers for that. It's crazy, I was actually looking at that same helmet the other day on the Visorshop and it's €350.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Cheers for that. It's crazy, I was actually looking at that same helmet the other day on the Visorshop and it's €350.

I see you are in Cork Sonic.
    Why not pop out to Lee motorcycles and see what kind of a deal can they give you.
    They were willing to match online prices for me one time but they didn't have the helmet I was looking for.
    Worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

And JP in Dunderrow does some good deals as well. Offered me a good discount in a helmet he had in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭Jeff2

On RTE One crime call they had a a segment on motorbikes and said in accidents the motorcyclist is over 75% to blame.

That has to be totally wrong.

You can see on RTE One + 1 in about 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Boots boots and more boots.

My trusty TCX evo explorer boots need replacing after 6 years commuting. The sole is coming away in places. The alpinestars smx range come recommended here and also daytona boots.

Louis.de are doing a €50 off when you spend €249 or more so what would you think of these for €250. Is it a big deal that they are a racing boot and ill only use for commuting?

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/daytona-strive-gtx-boots/202468?list=8d84aa26f31efb0c4b810901e0f88bc4

they look great, and would be tempted myself, only price jumps up to 350e once i put in my size :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Jeff2 wrote: »
    On RTE One crime call they had a a segment on motorbikes and said in accidents the motorcyclist is over 75% to blame.

That has to be totally wrong.

You can see on RTE One + 1 in about 30 minutes.

Ya I was watching that to, this statistic is more than likely inaccurate, but saying that allot of fatalities I’ve heard of seem to only involve the rider but who’s to say what really happened to cause the accident. Mud on the roads this time of year got no mention or the gaping holes and loose gravel on the roads. I wear a hi viz and feel invisible to everyone bar dogs and children while on the bike.

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    Ya I was watching that to, this statistic is more than likely inaccurate, but saying that allot of fatalities I’ve heard of seem to only involve the rider but who’s to say what really happened to cause the accident. Mud on the roads this time of year got no mention or the gaping holes and loose gravel on the roads. I wear a hi viz and feel invisible to everyone bar dogs and children while on the bike.

It was a RTA stat so I can see why they put the stats high but some watching the program would think it is real.
    When there is not a chance it is true.

Wossack wrote: »
    they look great, and would be tempted myself, only price jumps up to 350e once i put in my size :(

There is no doubt that everywhere online highly rates the Daytona boots. I didnt realise they were made in Germany. Alot say they get 10 + years out of a pair.

I ended up sticking with a brand that served me well for the last 6 years. I ordered these https://www.louis.ie/artikel/tcx-x-five-plus-gtx-boots-touring/219046?list=0ecd9ab339c5aca1505b3c20d7fdfd7f

They way I look at it im not sure I want to be wearing the same boots for 10 years in all weathers:( If these TCX get me 5 years of commuting ill be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It was a RTA stat so I can see why they put the stats high but some watching the program would think it is real.
    When there is not a chance it is true.

Why do you think it's not true? What are you basing that on?

I had a look at the RSA stats, and their provisional analysis of road fatalities - http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Fatal%20Collision%20Stats/Provisional_Reviews_of_Fatal_Collisions/RSA%20Provisional%20Review%20of%20Fatalities%2031%20December%202017.pdf

It has some numbers at least. For 2017, there were 20 motorcycle deaths. Of those 20 deaths, 8 were single vehicle collisions. That's 40% due to a rider alone.

So, 12 remaining deaths were multi-vehicle collision. I've no idea what the actual probabilities are, but if one makes a total guess that of those 12 deaths, half were the fault of another vehicle and half the fault of the rider, then thats 14 deaths in total that could be the fault of the rider. ~60% rider fault.

Frankly, I find it reassuring that the majority of deaths are rider responsibility because it basically means that the odds are my life is in my hands, and not some other road user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Gavin wrote: »
    It has some numbers at least. For 2017, there were 20 motorcycle deaths. Of those 20 deaths, 8 were single vehicle collisions. That's 40% due to a rider alone.

Just because one vehicle crashed doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't caused by a second vehicle.
    I've had several close ones where I could have crashed and the person responsible would have continued on oblivious to anything happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

blade1 wrote: »
    Just because one vehicle crashed doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't caused by a second vehicle.
    I've had several close ones where I could have crashed and the person responsible would have continued on oblivious to anything happening.

This x 100 !
    Stats like these are skewed. They are numbers on a page and never tell the full story of an accident.

Tru dat, however, you can only work with the data you've got. One would hope that for a crash involving a fatality, there would be some investigation into what happened and so the numbers would be accurate as possible.

Actually, just reading this is a good bet:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Driven to his death: Mystery of motorcyclist body on M4 - BBC News

Good read about a 'single vehicle accident' at first glance.

I think what she said was "in collisions involving motorbikes the motorcyclist was at fault over 75% of the time".

I can't see that being right.

Passing this along from a friend on facebook
    Request for assistant for a colleague, on his way into work this morning on his motorcycle his topbox (black,) became separated from the bike containing personal stuff travelling in on the naas Rd from kilcullen to burlinton Rd

I think what she said was "in collisions involving motorbikes the motorcyclist was at fault over 75% of the time".

I can't see that being right.

I'd guess its pretty accurate.

I've had a lot of mates killed on bikes and I can only think of one were speed wasn't a contributory factor.

I'd guess its pretty accurate.

I've had a lot of mates killed on bikes and I can only think of one were speed wasn't a contributory factor.

Thing is they were talking about overall collisions not just ones resulting in death.

Also there have been times where there were no witnesses other then the other driver who says the bike was speeding.
    So it's one drivers word over a person who can't have a say as theyre dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Driven to his death: Mystery of motorcyclist body on M4 - BBC News

Good read about a 'single vehicle accident' at first glance.

Jesus a short sentence and 6 year road ban for the dirty **** after chasing down the man and hitting him with his car. ****er nearly got away with it to, some dark psychotic losers out their.

Advertisement