Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've been watching Shadetree Surgeon on Youtube a bit lately, quite a funny guy and likes to take the piss out of the American Biker schtick.

Here's a great video on the new BMW Adv bike, and the picture he paints of it's average buyer is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Great share, never watched him before. Barely saw a single bike in that vid and enjoyed almost all of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

zubair wrote: »
    Great share, never watched him before. Barely saw a single bike in that vid and enjoyed almost all of it.

Some of his videos are very good and I only discovered him in the last few months.

Total biker himself but is great at taking the piss out of the culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Looking for some recommendations and don't think it's worth a new thread.

The cbr is being sold when I come back from holidays (I've gone against the advice here and it's going camping with me in the UK)

I've got my eyes on a cb500x, tiger, vstrom, versys, you get the idea, with the cb and triumph leading but I'm unsure if the lack of power from the honda would be a concern, the tiger ticks all the boxes but it's a little too pricey (budget is whatever I get for the cbr, hopefully 6k)

What bikes am I missing or do ye lot have much experience with the bikes above.

Edit, also have a sweet spot for the f800r

Cbr600rr to a cb500x, you'll regret that.

Youre talking about going from a sports bike to an "adventure bike" but have you considered a sports tourer instead? A vfr is worth considering but isn't as upright as your suggestions. A GSX1250F is another one worth considering.

Which tiger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Was thinking of the 800xr, also possibly on the list would be the z1000sx and z650

500, 650, 800, 1000... I think you need more time to think about what you want/ need.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

CB500X and Tiger are very different bikes, CB500X is smaller, and can feel quite underpowered on motorways, didn't really like sitting at high speed for sustained times with any kind of wind, on the positive side though very fuel efficient and small enough to still be nimble around around.
    I swapped mine for Tiger 800 XRT, feels much bigger, more comfortable, happier at speed and in high wind, very comfortable. Thirstier than the CB and bit bigger/heavier for tight filtering in town. XRT spec is just too. Had the Tiger for 8k now over the past year, and hasn't missed a beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I was out on my 6 month old BMW 1200 GSA last night giving it some socks !! Heard this awful bang and the powerband snapped :(

Bloody shoddy workmanship coming out of Berlin these days. Dealer said it's my fault and won't cover it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    I was out on my 6 month old BMW 1200 GSA last night giving it some socks !! Heard this awful bang and the powerband snapped :(

Bloody shoddy workmanship coming out of Berlin these days. Dealer said it's my fault and won't cover it :(
    Whatya mean the power band snapped?

Why did you tell them you were giving it socks ? So they say it's your fault and won't cover it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Wow man sorry, that sucks. Hope you get it sorted. Surely if a belt snapped due to their bad work they should be liable? Where did this happen?

It's all grand lads. Found out what caused it. I went out to the garage this evening and there's a big puddle of indicator fluid sitting under it. Must have gotten on the power band and corroded it.

Took me a while to clean it up, this stuff is nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

at least you didn't tear your banjo string

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You'd better fill them back up, I hear this stuff is good and not as prone to leakage..Snapseed_23__71177.1528384043.jpg?c=2

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

It's all grand lads. Found out what caused it. I went out to the garage this evening and there's a big puddle of indicator fluid sitting under it.

Inductor fluid? On a Beemer? Whatever for? BMW riders don't indicate.

It's all grand lads. Found out what caused it. I went out to the garage this evening and there's a big puddle of indicator fluid sitting under it. Must have gotten on the power band and corroded it.

Took me a while to clean it up, this stuff is nasty.

what's a power band?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

what's a power band?

It;s similar to the Yamaha Electric Light Orchestra. Also known to get very noisy at times. eek.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQUlA8Hcv4s

• Advertisement

what's a power band?

powerband.jpg&key=57ce10529464f5b492e313b6841f2495083f1e5dff53cd59571a2debe88f34ec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

powerband.jpg&key=57ce10529464f5b492e313b6841f2495083f1e5dff53cd59571a2debe88f34ec

Lidl do these elastic bands from time to time.
    Granted they are not Power Bands but if you put about 10 of them together they are way more durable than those shìtty BMW Power Bands and a fraction of the price.

2n7nwpy.jpg

I've never seen a new rubber band before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I've never seen a new rubber band before

:eek: My God but you have led a sheltered lilfe. You should get out on your bike more. :D

Emmersonn wrote: »
    :eek: My God but you have led a sheltered lilfe. You should get out on your bike more. :D

I should use an elastic band instead of my rear shock

458961.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't know what to believe anymore

I was out on my 6 month old BMW 1200 GSA last night giving it some socks !!  Heard this awful bang and the powerband snapped :(

Bloody shoddy workmanship coming out of Berlin these days.  Dealer said it's my fault and won't cover it :(
    Just be glad it didn't burst into flames!

zubair wrote: »
    Just be glad it didn't burst into flames!

Wrong brand :o

I was out on my 6 month old BMW 1200 GSA last night giving it some socks !!  Heard this awful bang and the powerband snapped :(

Bloody shoddy workmanship coming out of Berlin these days.  Dealer said it's my fault and won't cover it :(

Just be glad it didn't burst into flames

• Advertisement

In a bid to win back customers with their new 12 million Euro Motorrad development in North Dublin, Moe Juffys have gotten in the best and brightest "master mechanics" to head their service department :D

459971.jpg

Advertisement