Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Have an Oxford Aquatex cover on my bike, it’s great and does the job brilliantly. It even withstood the weather overnight. As for the locks, have an alarm disc lock on the front and a nice and heavy chain on the back wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

There's no better feeling that putting on wet leathers and knowing they are only going to get wetter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

New tyres (Pilot Road 4's) and heated grips being put on the bike tomorrow. Here's hoping the weather is a bit better or I won't enjoy that ride home.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    New tyres (Pilot Road 4's) and heated grips being put on the bike tomorrow. Here's hoping the weather is a bit better or I won't enjoy that ride home.

Oxford grips? Getting those on mine next week.

The new tyres are winter tyres are they?

Supposed to be windy tonight.

Forecast is cloudy tomorrow, raining all weekend and cloudy but dry all next week, but hey, this is Ireland.

Oxford grips? Getting those on mine next week.

The new tyres are winter tyres are they?

Supposed to be windy tonight.

Forecast is cloudy tomorrow, raining all weekend and cloudy but dry all next week, but hey, this is Ireland.

Yup, I've decided to keep the bike for at least another year and even with the wind deflectors on my hands will get cold in the winter.

I've got Road 3's on the bike at the moment and they've been great for wet weather, Road 4's got great reviews for the weather too.

• Advertisement

Yup, I've decided to keep the bike for at least another year and even with the wind deflectors on my hands will get cold in the winter.

I've got Road 3's on the bike at the moment and they've been great for wet weather, Road 4's got great reviews for the weather too.

Those bikes will out last ourselves, got a spin on one recently, you'd know the difference between the shaft and the chain when taking off.

The bad weather will make for very very cold hands. Are your Road 3's worn out or changing purely due to the winter coming? did you buy online and will get a store to fit them?

From Fortnine, probably the best bike reviewer on Youtube at the moment.

Those bikes will out last ourselves, got a spin on one recently, you'd know the difference between the shaft and the chain when taking off.

The bad weather will make for very very cold hands. Are your Road 3's worn out or changing purely due to the winter coming? did you buy online and will get a store to fit them?

They're about two years old and have seen about 15,000 miles, grip is starting to go and running a bit flat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Nice and toasty warm with the heated vest on this morning.

The other nice thing about colder mornings is that there are less cyclists around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm off on a trip up to belfast, antrim and donegal today. Of course we had to pick the coldest, windiest and wettest weekend in months... Anyway should still be great craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm off on a trip up to belfast, antrim and donegal today. Of course we had to pick the coldest, windiest and wettest weekend in months... Anyway should still be great craic!

A2 coastal route is great. I've done it 3 times, each time managed to get perfect weather. Wind is forecast to die down

• Advertisement

Jesus these things get hot, now I get why everyone wants them.

From Fortnine, probably the best bike reviewer on Youtube at the moment.

They're about two years old and have seen about 15,000 miles, grip is starting to go and running a bit flat too.
    Jesus these things get hot, now I get why everyone wants them.

The video is interesting, and educational.

As for the grips, are they hot and bearable or too hot that your hands are sweating heavily with the gloves on?

The video is interesting, and educational.

As for the grips, are they hot and bearable or too hot that your hands are sweating heavily with the gloves on?

He's the only Youtuber I'm set to get notifications for, well worth it. Does great work on the videos, good editing and for a company that sells biker gear, they're not afraid of calling out bad products.

The grips after a 30 minute jaunt were certainly toasty but the controls are easy to handle (puns, I have them) but it's a bit early to tell for sure if they'll get too hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Lads about the Oxford grips.

Be very careful using the superglue supplied with them, it melts on the controllers hottest setting!.

May not seem a big deal, but it is when your grip moves freely when you're riding, ie breaking.

It (and me acting the bollox) gave me a big moment last year on my Kawasaki Z1000.

I wheelied the bike, stupidly in first gear. It came up very quickly, almost past balance point. I touched the back brake and it came down (with a thump).. But when I opened the gas again it wheelied again, but really violently.

I'm usually pretty decent with wheelies but thought at the time 'ok I've just fluffed a wheelie, no biggie'.

Long story short. When my throttle moved on the bars the next morning I sussed what had happened.. The heat the previous morning had melted the glue, when the front end came down the twist grip moved forward on the bars meaning that when I opened it again I was grabbing a huge fist full of gas.

Won't happen to most here, but just be aware that the supplied superglue WILL melt on the hottest setting.

I emailed Oxford a number of times regarding this issue, they never replied to me.

If cold hands are a problem IMO muffs (ugly bastards) are warmer than heated grips.

Be very careful using the superglue supplied with them, it melts on the controllers hottest setting!.

May not seem a big deal, but it is when your grip moves freely when you're riding, ie breaking.

It (and me acting the bollox) gave me a big moment last year on my Kawasaki Z1000.

I wheelied the bike, stupidly in first gear. It came up very quickly, almost past balance point. I touched the back brake and it came down (with a thump).. But when I opened the gas again it wheelied again, but really violently.

I'm usually pretty decent with wheelies but thought at the time 'ok I've just fluffed a wheelie, no biggie'.

Long story short. When my throttle moved on the bars the next morning I sussed what had happened.. The heat the previous morning had melted the glue, when the front end came down the twist grip moved forward on the bars meaning that when I opened it again I was grabbing a huge fist full of gas.

Won't happen to most here, but just be aware that the supplied superglue WILL melt on the hottest setting.

I emailed Oxford a number of times regarding this issue, they never replied to me.

If cold hands are a problem IMO muffs (ugly bastards) are warmer than heated grips.

I was getting mine fitted by the repair shop when the oil cooler pipe is being done. Would you reckon they’ll only use the glue supplied or something that stands the rest of time? Half tempted to cancel the idea now.

He's the only Youtuber I'm set to get notifications for, well worth it. Does great work on the videos, good editing and for a company that sells biker gear, they're not afraid of calling out bad products.

The grips after a 30 minute jaunt were certainly toasty but the controls are easy to handle (puns, I have them) but it's a bit early to tell for sure if they'll get too hot.

Did you have much difficulty fitting them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,090 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was getting mine fitted by the repair shop when the oil cooler pipe is being done. Would you reckon they’ll only use the glue supplied or something that stands the rest of time? Half tempted to cancel the idea now.

You'll be absolutely fine. Ive mine on a few years. Don't be pulling wheelies on her and you'll have no issues. Same could be said for alot of aftermarket grips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,090 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've a write up in the forum on fitting them you'll find it in search.

Was basically told to go easy on them for a day or so, could turn them on but don't go yanking at them like a mad thing :D

Didn't fit them, I'm ****e with electrics. Was getting the tires done anyway so got the lads to put on the grips too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

My missus has the same problem with her Oxford grips. Left us stranded when the glue melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The problem is not that the glue in the heated grips is melting,it's the wrong glue, Oxford glue is a cement type super glue cheap , the movement of throttle and the snap back of throttle cracks the glue causing it to become loose.
    You need to a gel type super glue it has a slight flex when set,
    So reduces if not totally elemates your throttle becoming loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

D3V!L wrote: »
    My missus has the same problem with her Oxford grips. Left us stranded when the glue melted.
    ZX7R wrote: »
    The problem is not that the glue in the heated grips is melting,it's the wrong glue, Oxford glue is a cement type super glue cheap , the movement of throttle and the snap back of throttle cracks the glue causing it to become loose.
    You need to a gel type super glue it has a slight flex when set,
    So reduces if not totally elemates your throttle becoming loose

Yea the supplied grip isn't worth a ****.

My son had the same problem with the Oxford grips. The grips themselves are fine but I couldn't recommend the glue to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Would those panniers fit?

Lesson 1
    Don't forget you have panniers on the bike!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'm commuting into Dublin City this week on my GSA. Don't know why I do this to myself, its like I want to die or something. Surely there's a less messy way !! :rolleyes:

I'm commuting into Dublin City this week on my GSA. Don't know why I do this to myself, its like I want to die or something. Surely there's a less messy way !! :rolleyes:

Commuting is messy, or doing it on a GSA is messy?

thos wrote: »
    Commuting is messy, or doing it on a GSA is messy?

Getting killed on a bike is messy :o

Getting killed on a bike is messy :o

True. What's your commute?

• Advertisement

thos wrote: »
    True. What's your commute?

Drimnagh to the IFSC. Had a guy in a van try and move while I was filtering in between him and a car this morning to block me. Thank God for helmet cams :D

Advertisement