Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I've been saying this for a while now but thankfully BMW have opened an honest dealership with complete transparency from before the customer walks in the door to be rogered by a salesman.

picture.aspx?id=105366&w=1020&h=612&m=c&bg=eaeaea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    I've been saying this for a while now but thankfully BMW have opened an honest dealership with complete transparency from before the customer walks in the door to be rogered by a salesman.

Far bigger Cuntz in Ireland! :pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    Far bigger Cuntz in Ireland! :pac:

There was talk of them opening a branch here in Dublin but the market isn't big enough for that amount of Cuntz. :D

I could go on all day :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If anyone remembers the accident a broadstone in 2015 in which a rider was killed.
    Motorcyclist suffered fatal head injuries in collision with bus
    Louise Roseingrave
    A motorcyclist was speeding when he struck a Dublin Bus and died as a result of his injuries.Lucas Lapa Sanchez, a 25-year-old Brazilian living at Cremore Heights in Glasnevin, Dublin 11, suffered multiple injuries in the collision at the entrance to the Broadstone bus depot on Constitution Hill in Phibsboro.

The bus driver was travelling south and turning to the right to enter the depot when the crash happened at 1.05am on October 21st, 2015. The motorcyclist was travelling in the opposite direction, an inquest into his death heard yesterday.

Barry Kennedy was driving a “ghost bus”, a vehicle not in public use, when he struck the motorcyclist as he manoeuvred across the junction.

“I was coming down towards the yellow box, indicating. When I was moving the bus into the depot he was not there, I did not see him at all. I heard a loud bang. I stopped the bus and walked in front and saw a helmet,” Mr Kennedy said.

Garda Earnest Pimlott of the Bridewell station was on patrol in the area. “I saw the bus turning right and dragging an object in front of it,” he said. At the scene he met Mr Kennedy with his hands on his head. The injured man was wedged under the front of the bus.

“The bus driver raised the chassis so he was clear. I kept talking to him, and told him help was on the way. He had a very faint pulse,” said Garda Pimlott. Mr Sanchez was rushed to the Mater hospital, where he died on October 28th, 2015.

A postmortem gave the cause of death as cerebral contusion and multiple injuries due to a traffic collision.

Forensic collision investigator Sgt Paul Kearney used CCTV footage to calculate the speed of the motorcycle at approximately 60km/h, while the bus was travelling at 24km/h.

Mr Sanchez was wearing dark clothes with no reflectors, the court heard.

“The bus driver didn’t see the motorist,” Garda Brendan Reville told the court.

The bus driver was charged with careless driving causing death and found not guilty by a jury at the Circuit Court on May 8th last.

The layout of the road has been changed since the fatal collision. Luas works provided an opportunity to change the layout and add traffic lights to facilitate drivers entering the Broadstone depot.

The jury returned a verdict of accidental death, and endorsed the alterations to the layout of the junction.

Solicitor for Dublin Bus Gerard O’Herlihy extended his sympathies to Mr Sanchez’s family who were not present but will have access to a court recording if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You can see the blame shift, it's not the responsibility of a rider to light themselves up like a Christmas tree and a careless driver won't see them anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Tough one. I don't think the bus driver deserves to spend time in prison, but if you can't see other road users and kill one as a result, you should be given a lengthy driving ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cienciano wrote: »
    Tough one. I don't think the bus driver deserves to spend time in prison, but if you can't see other road users and kill one as a result, you should be given a lengthy driving ban

Even if that other person is dressed in black? I sometimes find it hard to see other bikes when they're in black. I think the best thing that can be taken from this is to wear hi viz, give yourself a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

zubair wrote: »
    Even if that other person is dressed in black? I sometimes find it hard to see other bikes when they're in black. I think the best thing that can be taken from this is to wear hi viz, give yourself a chance.

I would, the bus has lights, the bike has lights. For me, the "I didn't see him" isn't good enough, if you drive a bus and killed someone cos you didn't see him you shouldn't be driving a bus. It was an accident though, accidents happen, but "I didn't see him" isn't good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

If the blind basket can't see a headlight I really think a hi-viz would make no difference. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,090 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cienciano wrote: »

Without being Funny.

1- The Motorcyclist light was no doubt on. As they are automatically on.

2- The bus driver evidently didnt stop the bus and look at the road ahead and see a headlight coming at him. The bike was not at what could be described as high speed.

To me , as a professional driver the bus driver failed in his regard for assessing the road before making manoeuvres.

And this nonsense about wearing Hi Viz needs to stop. It wont stop incompetent people and make them see you any better. if someone is ignoring the road ahead then hi viz wont make a jot of a difference.

• Advertisement

I disagree, wearing hi viz has no doubt saved multiple lives from this type of scenario. You're right though in some cases nothing will stop this from happening.

I disagree, wearing hi viz has no doubt saved multiple lives from this type of scenario. You're right though in some cases nothing will stop this from happening.

It is a panicia , used by politicians to apportion blame.

If you can't see a bloody headlight coming at you at night then you won't see a blot of high Viz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

listermint wrote: »
    It is a panicia , used by politicians to apportion blame.

If you can't see a bloody headlight coming at you at night then you won't see a blot of high Viz.

Exactly !
    The old I didn't see the bike story... ffs they didn't see because they didn't look properly !!!

Every biker these days rides with the headlight on there is no excuse for not seeing it, myself and my brother had a close one last week where a guy looked and saw both of us coming but still pulled out.
    I know he saw us because I had the time to look straight at him and think to myself I hope your not daft enough to pull out and yet he did !!!
    I had dipped beam on and 2 aux led lights but this plonker still pulled out forcing us to brake hard and he flashed his hazards then I presume to say sorry, little good that would have been if he had killed one of us - There is no excuse for that kind of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Please correct me if I am wrong , but I thought you had to wear some sort of reflective item while riding your motorcycle, about 3years ago, I got stopped by traffic core,the gard said that under a by law ,statted by a judge in closing comments on a RTA, motorcyclest must use some from of reflective material on there body.
    Many he was spufing.
    Or it's just not inforced

ZX7R wrote: »
    Please correct me if I am wrong , but I thought you had to wear some sort of reflective item while riding your motorcycle, about 3years ago, I got stopped by traffic core,the gard said that under a by law ,statted by a judge in closing comments on a RTA, motorcyclest must use some from of reflective material on there body.
    Many he was spufing.
    Or it's just not inforced

That's spoof. Utter spoof.

If you're all happy riding around in dark gear in winter in ireland, best of luck to you. What if you come off your bike in a single vehicle accident and you're lying in the middle of the road, will your headlight that's pointing skyward in the ditch help then?

If you're all happy riding around in dark gear in winter in ireland, best of luck to you. What if you come off your bike in a single vehicle accident and you're lying in the middle of the road, will your headlight that's pointing skyward in the ditch help then?

Who said we're happy.?

I'm combating the notion that it will impact bad driving.

It won't, selling snake oil.

Quite simply a bad driver is a bad driver you wearing you hi viz is for the wife only it won't safe you. The only save is driving defensively. Nothing else will.

Disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

LOL

I got into the habit of wearing one not for my sake because I noticed it made f*ck all difference but for my family who asked where it was every time they seen me on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

It will if you have a Bat headlight.....dinna dinna dinna dinna......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

It will if you have a Bat headlight.....dinna dinna dinna dinna......:P

2efja60.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, I get that wearing a hi-vis may not actively save your ass, but there's certainly no harm in wearing one at all, even if it only makes you slightly more visible.

My current shift at work has me driving on the bike at 4.30am in total darkness, so even with my lights on I like to put on hi-vis. Even if it's not for people driving the other way, it can make me that bit more noticeable for people driving behind me.

Sure I've got the lights on, but having that extra bit certainly helps a bit. Combined with a helmet camera and not driving like an absolute díckwad, it means if something ever does happen I've got a lot more backing my side up.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, I get that wearing a hi-vis may not actively save your ass, but there's certainly no harm in wearing one at all, even if it only makes you slightly more visible.

My current shift at work has me driving on the bike at 4.30am in total darkness, so even with my lights on I like to put on hi-vis. Even if it's not for people driving the other way, it can make me that bit more noticeable for people driving behind me.

Sure I've got the lights on, but having that extra bit certainly helps a bit. Combined with a helmet camera and not driving like an absolute díckwad, it means if something ever does happen I've got a lot more backing my side up.
    Are the helmet camera's expensive? I'm considering one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Ride like you are invisible and wear what you like

But stamp out this **** that a biker not wearing hi vis is noted in an inquest as a mitigating factor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The thing with high viz is that its everywhere. It's gotten to the stage that people are so accustomed to seeing it, it doesn't have the desired effect. We see it every day but does it make it any safer or make you stand out more - I don't think so.

Got one of these online for €60, made by Duhan, seems like great value for money.

1190879.jpg

Got one of these online for €60, made by Duhan, seems like great value for money.

1190879.jpg

Whats it made out of ?? No way it could be leather at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

hi vis for walkers and runners on roads etc should be mandatory, no excuses

The argument for bikers (on motorcycles with lights and reflectors) to have to wear hi vis is silly, going by that all bikes and small cars and maybe tractors should be painted with hi vis paint

My alpine stars gear has reflective strips for night time use which are 100 times more visible than hi vis at night

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    Whats it made out of ?? No way it could be leather at that price.

It's Faux Leather apparently, but it doesn't look or feel like it.

Advertisement