Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

goodlad wrote: »
    How much was it man?

I got it for €165 and its worth every penny. Sure if you service your own bike just once with it, its already pad for. I did the brakes front and back on my sprint and it was a joy to use.

jvan wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    Have the same toolset, bought it 5 years and it's a top quality but of kit. Got me out of many a hole. Only thing it lacks is a couple of pliers.
    Did you get the torque wrench in Halfords too.

Edit, actually looks like you have a few extra bits but it's essentially the same set.

Nah the Teng Torque Wrench cost me a pretty penny I have to say. I have a much bigger one out of Aldi's and its okay but I use that Teng one all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

the torque wrench is only tool i am missing at home :)

i have a friend who is working for wurth.... so having said that i have all you can imagine from them.. Zebra range (highest) from the tool box up untill the smalest set

for big jobs
    _35_zpsa41b66a5.jpg

for palying around
    product_detailed_image_147_152_zps55f0aa3d.jpg

wurth_zps968e6da7.jpg

i have all from them - almost all you can imagine.. even small screw driver set for watch repairs...

they are extremly expensive.. i believe that the big tool set is sitting alone somewhere around 300+€ mark retail
    well its good to have quality tools...

i was lucky and i got them all as present.. over the years for birthday christams etc... :) and now i can open my own garage :) (almost)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anyone on Biker.ie willing to post to this thread for me?

I ride the Mille and the 'Harley' must be my brother's green Shadow. We rode onto Pana and left the bikes to grab a coffee. Between the jigs and the reels, we met some friends and were gone from the bikes for quite a while. When we got back, my bro realised my bike was pointing away from where I had left it and we got suspicious. There was a FOOTPRINT on the saddle of my bike and the mirror was pointing to the sky. However, there wasn't a [new] mark anywhere else on my bike, my lid or on the Shadow for that matter. There can't have been any other bike involved as there was no room to my right side, just a raised kerb. My bike's not bad but it's not the cleanest machine out there and the damage that the OP is referring to on the thread is probably the damage on the RHS of my bike that's been there since I ran into oil last winter. My bro has a pair of big fat saddle bags and I had my lid locked to my bike so it must have landed just right to avoid damage.

It's important to note that the Mille has a notoriously ridiculous side stand. The angle of the bike isn't too bad but the center of gravity of the bike is almost overhanging the stand meaning the gentlest of shoves makes the rear wheel buck and the bike try to topple over. It's possible to fit some Honda stands as an upgrade- I got a Firestorm stand but they only suit the Tuono but I hear the Blackbird stand does the business so I'll be getting my hands on one of them imminently.

Assuming this isn't all some massive coincidence, I'd like to thank the OP of the thread for sorting it out. It's not clear if he managed to lift it in the end or if he had to leave it after trying to get assistance but stopping and trying to assist a bike that's fallen/ been pushed is definitely something that reminds us of the community spirit we all enjoy. Since it's unclear if there was foul play (the footprint might have gotten on the saddle as result of the bike being lifted) and since it's all ended well, we're happy to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Again, we're grateful to the OP of that thread as well as anyone who may have helped sort this out for us and rest assured, all's well at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just incase people are not signed up for news letters https://www.louis.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ah f*ck ya anyway Richard tea!!!
    Now I'm going to have to buy more stuff!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Lads am i missing something here....

Just holding in the waterproof socket an mount. The wires out the bottom are kinda mushed off the top yoke a bit....

Is this alright? Not much slack on the cabling either but i guess that can be sorted handy enough when its gettig wired up.

14477079050_aff7d4deb5.jpg

14640769826_52cd471acd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lads, couple of questions on cleaning. After shaft drive for so long, I now have a poxy chain to clean.
    What do you use? Are those little U shaped brushes any good? I got a can of chain cleaner from Lidl, is that worth a shíte? Any of the muc-off products any good? Is any degreaser ok, or should I keep them away?
    Want to give it a good clean, take everything off it and re-oil it with a normal amount of oil, not the gallons the last guy used.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Lads, couple of questions on cleaning. After shaft drive for so long, I now have a poxy chain to clean.
    What do you use? Are those little U shaped brushes any good? I got a can of chain cleaner from Lidl, is that worth a shíte? Any of the muc-off products any good? Is any degreaser ok, or should I keep them away?
    Want to give it a good clean, take everything off it and re-oil it with a normal amount of oil, not the gallons the last guy used.

Kerosene is the only stuff for the job!
    Spray it on and then go at the chain with a toothbrush or a chain brush as that with properly get all the crap off.

Eh, how have I never heard of this site?

• Advertisement

Kerosene is the only stuff for the job!
    Spray it on and then go at the chain with a toothbrush or a chain brush as that with properly get all the crap off.

Kerosene? Have to take a trip out to my parents gaff and raid their oil tank! Where can you buy small amounts of it?

Kerosene? Have to take a trip out to my parents gaff and raid their oil tank! Where can you buy small amounts of it?

A lot of garages sell it. They will have a small pump out back and its dirt cheap.

Some bike shops also sell a degreaser that's kerosene based but its water soluble so handoer to clean up after.

Yeah Kerosene all the way and a scott oiler to oil the chain. The oil is really thin and nice to use and cleans up lovely really easy....job done in 10 mins.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah Kerosene all the way and a scott oiler to oil the chain. The oil is really thin and nice to use and cleans up lovely really easy....job done in 10 mins.

A scott Oiler.... Another thing i forgot to add to the new bike list of stuff! :o

You can fill up a 5 ltr drum at some garages but would prob need to head to the sticks for this. Kero works very well with the U shaped brush. After cleaning the chain dry it down with a cloth. Its best to oil the chain after a spin when the chain is warm but no harm oiling when cold. I oil my chain once a week or twice if its raining hard and clean it every 2 weeks.

Eh, how have I never heard of this site?

I have used them a few times now. I think its 10 euro for delivery and normally takes 4 -5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

A scott Oiler.... Another thing i forgot to add to the new bike list of stuff! :o

Found scott oilers finikity, hit or miss and eventually will alwys go back to manual lubing.

Found scott oilers finikity, hit or miss and eventually will alwys go back to manual lubing.

True, Get your hands dirty and check the chain manually for defects.

True, Get your hands dirty and check the chain manually for defects.

Currently that's what i do. Kerosene clean every 2 weeks and then use rockoil on it. I havent gotten to give the strom a proper once over yet. Is it weird that im looking forward to cleaning it properly?! :D

Holding off until all the bits i ordered for it arrive and are installed. Then give it a proper clean.

I wish these would ship already!!!
    14663887482_a68c953dfe.jpg

I know 2 people that have lost fingers by lubing their chain on the centre stand with the bike running in first. Get in too close with the lube and that chain will mangle your fingers around the sprocket, to the extent they will never be reattached. Dont be lazy, spin the wheel manually and carefully.

• Advertisement

Currently that's what i do. Kerosene clean every 2 weeks and then use rockoil on it. I havent gotten to give the strom a proper once over yet. Is it weird that im looking forward to cleaning it properly?! :D

Holding off until all the bits i ordered for it arrive and are installed. Then give it a proper clean.

I wish these would ship already!!!
    14663887482_a68c953dfe.jpg
    Of course you'll need stubby levers too?

Of course you'll need stubby levers too?

Tried them before and didn't like it. Sure my levers are hidden behind the hand guards anyway.

Got the frame and fork protectors today. And also a headlight mask thing which gives the lights a better look

Got the frame and fork protectors today. And also a headlight mask thing which gives the lights a better look

What in the name of Jaysis is that crap? :D

haha! Its just all the little things i always add to my bikes to make them feel more like my own.

That stuff i mentioned there is from a dude on a US vstrom forum who makes them for other members. He sent them to me no hassle.

Other bits on the way is from a guy in the UK who makes parts for them.
    He done the fork brace, reservoir covers an 20mm lowering dogbones.

Hit and miss???? ......did you fit it yourself? They are a great piece of kit for the price. But yeah if they are fitted wrong they are not great. But that is the same for all items on a bike TBH.

Cheers on the info lads. I might invest in a chain brush, I reckon I'll need it for mine, it's filthy. Anyone know if cotters or bikeworld have them?
    I had a scott oiler on my last chain drive bike but I don't do the miles to bother with it, I reckon I'll just do it manually.

You can see most of it here:

http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=12989.0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

haha! Its just all the little things i always add to my bikes to make them feel more like my own.

That stuff i mentioned there is from a dude on a US vstrom forum who makes them for other members. He sent them to me no hassle.

Other bits on the way is from a guy in the UK who makes parts for them.
    He done the fork brace, reservoir covers an 20mm lowering dogbones.

Stickers? :D

• Advertisement

Stickers? :D

"Fancy" stickers... :rolleyes:

Advertisement