Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Feckin Dubs the lot of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I see on facebook that you've recovered the bike, great news.

Yes. Still haven't got it back yet - it's with the insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »

Nah...doesnt have heated grips...i'll pass...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Anyone help me out.
    Changed the fork seals in one of the legs awhile ago.
    All seemed ok couldnt see any leaks.
    Till today went to look at them and I'm noticing small amounts of oil. On the fork tube and lower leg. Even after wiping and pumping the leg a few times there was still oil residue.
    These were sitting in my spare room for weeks so it's not like they were being used. And the tubes themselves are brand new.
    Hadn't had a chance to pop the dust seal off and check anything.
    I'm thinking the fork seal could be upside down?
    Tho I would of thought it would be flowing out with oil if it was upside down no?
    Here's a pic of the seal.
    Anyone tell me what picture should be on top from the pictures ?
    The seals look nothing like the original ones that were on the forks so couldn't really compare like for like.
    IMG-20190302-180813.jpg IMG-20190302-180806.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

honda boi wrote: »
    Anyone help me out.
    Changed the fork seals in one of the legs awhile ago.
    All seemed ok couldnt see any leaks.
    Till today went to look at them and I'm noticing small amounts of oil. On the fork tube and lower leg. Even after wiping and pumping the leg a few times there was still oil residue.
    These were sitting in my spare room for weeks so it's not like they were being used. And the tubes themselves are brand new.
    Hadn't had a chance to pop the dust seal off and check anything.
    I'm thinking the fork seal could be upside down?
    Tho I would of thought it would be flowing out with oil if it was upside down no?
    Here's a pic of the seal.
    Anyone tell me what picture should be on top from the pictures ?
    The seals look nothing like the original ones that were on the forks so couldn't really compare like for like.
    IMG-20190302-180813.jpg IMG-20190302-180806.jpg

Whichever side has writing on it is the top. The second photo looks like it has writing on top.

the left pic.the spring goes inside....its very easy to damage the lips when putting them in...

scudster wrote: »
    Whichever side has writing on it is the top. The second photo looks like it has writing on top.

Is that how they usually work?
    Whatever has writing is the top?
    First time doing any fork work so wouldn't be familiar with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How did you drive them in to the leg?
    If there's any debris between the seal and the stanchion they can leak, try using a piece of 35mm negative and sliding it around the leg at an angle to remove anything that might be causing the leak.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How did you drive them in to the leg?
    If there's any debris between the seal and the stanchion they can leak, try using a piece of 35mm negative and sliding it around the leg at an angle to remove anything that might be causing the leak.

Used a bit of waste pipe and exhaust clamp to drive it in!
    Sat in alright, clip slot in perfectly .
    Will try get my hands on some negative and try it.
    Tho this fork leg hasnt even seen daylight so I'm expecting no debris to be in there,but hopefully I'm wrong.
    From what I can make out online it seems I put the seal in right.
    Popped the dust off and the bit with writing on top is the top and the side with the deep groove on the bottom is on the bottom,

• Advertisement

Tried the negative and no luck.
    I noticed since I had the dust seal off there was no oil on the tube itself anymore,it was just filling up on top of the oil seal.
    So I had a close inspection to the side of the seal and low and behold I found a tiny piece of the bottom of the oil seal had caught itself and ripped so was just sitting there,still in tact but not sealing. Just as max headroom said about damaging the seal :p
    All the oil must of been coming out of that tiny hole,which explains why so little oil was coming out.
    So need try and source just an oil seal or will have to buy another pair .
    Ah sure we learn from our mistakes!!
    First time near a fork so should of known something was up when it went so easily :p
    IMG-20190303-172232.jpg
    Thanks for the tip on the negative CJ.

Did you take the forks apart to change the seal/s or yank them out with a screwdriver ..?

Did you take the forks apart to change the seal/s or yank them out with a screwdriver ..?

Fork tubes were f**ked.
    So new tubes.
    Whole fork was taken apart,new bushings and seals.
    Thought I had done it 100% but guess not.
    Will have to redo this one and do the 2nd one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Put some fork oil on and around the seal before you drive it home, the seal needs to go in square as well, if its anyway off it will tear the rubber.
    These are a good investment.
    https://www.louis.ie/artikel/fork-seal-driver/10003457?list=c06f27e0ebcf2d3510b02b8c364530e2

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I got a push start for the triumph and got it home last night.

Now I'll either sell it or wait till I have space in the shed and do a proper job on it.

I'm looking out for a new bike and I'm very tempted to get a Zero

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I got a push start for the triumph and got it home last night.

Now I'll either sell it or wait till I have space in the shed and do a proper job on it.

I'm looking out for a new bike and I'm very tempted to get a Zero

What type of Triumph? Looking for a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

What type of Triumph? Looking for a project.

Its a 93 Triumph Trident Sprint 900 with 39k miles on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah I don't like going into bikeworld.

When I was buying all my gear for the first time and hadnt clue I went into bikeworld.
    Just didn't talk to me, didn't feel comfortable. I felt I was a hindrance to them. Asking silly questions., How stuff should fit etc. And starting out biking is a daunting prospect. Maybe they were just busy and thought I wasn't serious.

Anyways went straight out the door and down to cotters and dropped €800 on gear.

I always found BW to be good, they'll help if you ask but aren't annoying. They are crazy expensive, I'm always on my phone checking online prices. I've still bought plenty in there, they have a great selection of stuff.
    Last time I was in cotters I was trying on helmets and some salesman would not leave me alone! He was literally standing beside me commenting on every helmet I looked at. This went on for about 15 minutes, the fúcker wouldn't leave so I went home and bought a lid from Crossons. Any other experience I've had in cotters was good, that put me off though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I wanted to buy a new lid from BW recently but they were €265 dearer than the online price !! Saying that I find their bikes are quite good price wise.

I do think they need to put a bit more effort into the second hand bikes on the shop floor though. They have an Aprillia Dorsoduro for sale that I very nearly bought last weekend. I didn't in the end because for the same price I was able to get mint examples online with half the mileage.

In the end I spent my money on a new exhaust for my beemer :P

Moto GP highlights now on Quest for anyone that didn't catch it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Moto GP highlights now on Quest for anyone that didn't catch it!
    Brilliant first round in all classes. Bad mistake by the rookie in moto GP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No spoilers! :mad:

Scrap the cap!

Ordered a set of Conti Road Attack 2 Evo from Oponeo.
    These probably get overlooked a bit by some but I really like them.
    Good grip in wet and dry and warm up quickly enough.
    €204 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ouch ... The judge was always gonna come down hard

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1106860609696645121?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,092 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No reg ? Or ridiculously tiny ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ordered a set of Conti Road Attack 2 Evo from Oponeo.
    These probably get overlooked a bit by some but I really like them.
    Good grip in wet and dry and warm up quickly enough.
    €204 delivered.

I've had them on two bikes and really liked them too, and bloody cheap!.

Then had them on my R1200GS and couldn't wait to get them off. For some reason they just didn't suit the GS, but I'd use them again on another bike.

I've had them on two bikes and really liked them too, and bloody cheap!.

Then had them on my R1200GS and couldn't wait to get them off. For some reason they just didn't suit the GS, but I'd use them again on another bike.

I've had them on various bikes over the years Mak and have them on another bike at the moment as well.
    They are for my ZZR and it's the first time trying them on it so it'll be interesting to see how they fare on a bigger bike.

They are replacing T30's which imo are just about barely acceptable.
    The Conti's I've had in the past have outperformed a lot of other dearer tyres I've had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

They are replacing T30's which imo are just about barely acceptable.
    The Conti's I've had in the past have outperformed a lot of other dearer tyres I've had.

Funny enough I replaced the Conti's with T30's on a BMW R1100S and the T30's were terrible in the rain. They constantly broke traction in first and second gear.

Despite their reputation I hated the T30's on that bike.

I thought it strange then that the Conti's were woefull on my GS :confused:

Funny enough I replaced the Conti's with T30's on a BMW R1100S and the T30's were terrible in the rain. They constantly broke traction in first and second gear.

Despite their reputation I hated the T30's on that bike.

I thought it strange then that the Conti's were woefull on my GS :confused:

Were the Conti's GT?

• Advertisement

show19 on motorcycleshop.ie gets 15% off.

Advertisement