Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

And wiring direct to battery just to test it?

Mind made that same sound at first but did work eventually - not to say yours isn't knackered, but seem to need a kick to get them moving at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

How much does it cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

horse7 wrote: »
    How much does it cost?

Around €28.

@thos: tried it there straight to car battery and still the same.
    Horn is heating up so plenty of power to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

blade1 wrote: »
    No need for a relay on this Max.
    It's just plug and play.
    Tried the screw,no joy.
    It also looks like someone was trying to fit it already as there is marks on it.

Packaging didnt look the best. Perhaps a return? Let us know if you get it sorted... wouldnt mind one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Folks, any advice regarding Valve Clearance servicing; or rather how strict the schedule should be?

I've an 08 CBF600 that hasn't had it done. It's been serviced regularly just not Valve timing. I believe it was due around 16K Miles according to the maintenance schedule and is currently at 20,700 miles.

I'm probably going to have the bike for 1 more year then thinking I'll be in a position to change. Next annual mileage services is due in about 2K miles or 4 months. It was last serviced in September at around 14.5K miles by the dealer in the UK.

So should I just get the valve one done next? I know it's a pricey job so I need to consider it now so I'll have the €€

Bike hasn't had a single issue so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Valve clearance not done 4k ago... you're riding a ticking time bomb!!!

You'll be grand buddy. Also, if you're selling in a year I wouldn't waste my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

When is it recommended to get the valve clearance done?

Well, 16k is recommended, I just wouldn't consider it urgent maintenance, you could get away with double that mileage before they need adjustment. Are you doing oil changes yourself? If you want to keep the history get it all done on the next service but it won't make a difference when you go to sell it and won't make a difference to how it runs at just 4k/ 6k over. I've heard of many people getting their valves done as per the handbook only to be told by the mechanic that no adjustment was needed, still had to pay the same amount for the "work".

zubair wrote: »
    Well, 16k is recommended, I just wouldn't consider it urgent maintenance, you could get away with double that mileage before they need adjustment. Are you doing oil changes yourself? If you want to keep the history get it all done on the next service but it won't make a difference when you go to sell it and won't make a difference to how it runs at just 4k/ 6k over. I've heard of many people getting their valves done as per the handbook only to be told by the mechanic that no adjustment was needed, still had to pay the same amount for the "work".

There’s 33k miles on mine, no idea if they were ever done. Yeah doing oil changes myself, due one at the end of June. I’ve done 1200 miles in a year so not huge mileage either on my end. It was mentioned to me a few months back and I looked at the sales assistant like he had 20 heads.

Amazing what a few slaps of a 24mm spanner can do :D

BTW, The seller got back onto me and I must say they were top notch!
    Said send it back and they will fully refund me and pay the cost of me sending it back or they will send out another one asap.
    Now it's only right that they would but plenty of sellers will refuse to pay the cost of sending it back.
    I have free returns with PayPal anyway but its nice to see a seller treating people properly.
    It's all the one now anyway! :)

Here's where I got it,for anyone interested...
    Use parcel wizard/motel/AddressPal for cheap delivery.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183193207179

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

blade1 wrote: »
    Amazing what a few slaps of a 24mm spanner can do :D

BTW, The seller got back onto me and I must say they were top notch!
    Said send it back and they will fully refund me and pay the cost of me sending it back or they will send out another one asap.
    Now it's only right that they would but plenty of sellers will refuse to pay the cost of sending it back.
    I have free returns with PayPal anyway but its nice to see a seller treating people properly.
    It's all the one now anyway! :)

Here's where I got it,for anyone interested...
    Use parcel wizard/motel/AddressPal for cheap delivery.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183193207179
    Jaysus I didn't change my volume on the phone and everyone looking at me like wtf!. Lol.
    Nothing beats a couple of smacks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Drove through Howth this evening and seemed a good crew of bikers stopped outside a cafe.

Anyone on here or is it an organised meet up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,090 ✭✭✭✭listermint

When is it recommended to get the valve clearance done?

Do it yourself.

Just did mine three weeks ago. Exhaust cams where out so swapped in some new shims.

It's rare enough that is out. You tend to feel the bike is rough tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When you say swapped them in, did you get new shims from a dealer or what.

Even when I still owned Japanese bikes, I wouldn't bet on a dealer having the right sizes in stock

Oh and tighten that damn bracket honda boi :p

Scrap the cap!

listermint wrote: »
    Do it yourself.

Just did mine three weeks ago. Exhaust cams where out so swapped in some new shims.

It's rare enough that is out. You tend to feel the bike is rough tbh

Wouldn't have the confidence to tamper with an engine to that extent :o

Even when I still owned Japanese bikes, I wouldn't bet on a dealer having the right sizes in stock

Where's this bracket your talking about ?? :P

Took them out measure the clearance. Ordered new ones on the net .

Still have the old ones.

Wouldn't have the confidence to tamper with an engine to that extent :o

They weren't constructed by miracles, just the hands of men / women. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Drove through Howth this evening and seemed a good crew of bikers stopped outside a cafe.

Anyone on here or is it an organised meet up?

That's bikers of Éire were there most Thursday nights

Traffic core had a checkpoint up this morning.
    As I approached I tried to prepare for the severe dressing down I was surely going to receive for
    1: No tax displayed and
    2: The uproarious noise coming from my twin Arrow race cans with dB killers removed.
    Trying my best to keep the noise down to an earth quaking rumble I pulled up to the Garda fairly sheepishly.

He takes a good slow walk all around the bike and then says "I don't suppose you've a licence on you?"
    I take it out and show it to him and he just tells me to keep an eye on the expiry date on it.
    Then told me drive on.

Happy days!! :)

• Advertisement

Looking at making a fairly big order from sportsbikeshop.co.uk
    What are they like? Decent company to Deal with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Best company I've ever dealt with. Fully recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

honda boi wrote: »
    Looking at making a fairly big order from sportsbikeshop.co.uk
    What are they like? Decent company to Deal with?

Ordered a couple of pairs of pants from them a few years back, didn't take long to arrive. I had made a mistake with my order and they fixed it and refund was issued straight away, customer care was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Hands down one of the best out there. I ordered two grand worth of stuff recently and had to cancel one part. No argument from them and all went well.

Thanks lads.
    Order is gonna be about a grand so didn't want to order from a company that's going to be hassle if something doesn't fit or I don't like.

Good site never had an issue. Ordered several things from them in the past. Similar to you I ordered a fairly chunky package from them last year and all was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Both myself and my son have used them, no hassle. We'll defo both use them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

listermint wrote: »
    Took them out measure the clearance. Ordered new ones on the net .

Still have the old ones.

Thought so, not a problem if you don't mind being off the road for a week or two...

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Pulled up alongside a Enfield Himalayan yesterday on the way home from work. Certainly is bigger than I expected, very nice looking machine in the flesh.

I was surprised when I seen one and sat on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Pulled up alongside a Enfield Himalayan yesterday on the way home from work. Certainly is bigger than I expected, very nice looking machine in the flesh.

Probably me :-)

Advertisement