Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ugh, I have a bad feeling you may be right. Either a cheap and quick fix or a total pain in the ass.

I have the same problem. It's patched up for a good while now while I source a 2nd hand one. Bike still runs but there's a lot of smoke when I'm sitting in traffic or lights. Oil cooler leaks are an issue with Bandits but luckily I got 130000+kms before mine went. I just keep wiping off the oil and checking the level. What's your bike btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Sorry guys, can I just get some thoughts on this. Was giving the bike a quick polish a little while ago and found an awful lot of what seems like oil/grease at the front. Honestly don't remember this happening before or seeing it.

I should add, the bike does seem to be riding just fine.

9gCMnQhl.jpg
    8mXygBPl.jpg
    BI7CM8ul.jpg

Looks like an oil leak alright, trace it to it's highest and most forward point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

But you didnt or you would have saw him.....just sayin..:o

When I'd checked what was in my lane behind me (which I do regularly), he wasn't there. I can only assume he was either in an inside lane, or undertook whatever was behind me in my lane.

When I did my lifesaver, he had come up behind me on my left, undertaking me in the same lane.

Biking carries enough risk without some w@nker nipping past me in the same lane with inches to spare. It's a dick move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I have the same problem. It's patched up for a good while now while I source a 2nd hand one. Bike still runs but there's a lot of smoke when I'm sitting in traffic or lights. Oil cooler leaks are an issue with Bandits but luckily I got 130000+kms before mine went. I just keep wiping off the oil and checking the level. What's your bike btw?

Yeah, having a look at it and it certainly seems to be an oil leak. I'll see if I can get some photos up showing the exact point it appears to be coming from.

It's a Yamaha Dragstar 650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah, having a look at it and it certainly seems to be an oil leak. I'll see if I can get some photos up showing the exact point it appears to be coming from.

Clean off the oil that's there.
    At least everything is in the open so should be easy to spot where it's coming from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I had a similar leak from on my 1100, the valve cover seal could be seated wrong and may need to be replaced, an easy fix. Thats what sorted mine anyway.

Odds on it's your head gasket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

Hope you can get it sorted. Can anyone tell me if its possible to tidy up some paintwork on the engine on a honda 600cbf, its a silver type of finish,but the paint is worn off at the top near the cylinder head and it would look a lot tidier if i could get some special engine paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,090 ✭✭✭✭listermint

zubair wrote: »
    Odds on it's your head gasket.

If it was the 'head' gasket he'd surely be loosing coolant.

listermint wrote: »
    If it was the 'head' gasket he'd surely be loosing coolant.

Air cooled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Bykobap

Hi

Question if i may

I have maximum no claim bonus on a 50cc moped.
    I am in process of getting A1 learners permit for a 125cc scooter and attending IBT.
    Once i obtain/complete these things and ring up insurance companies for cover will they accept my 50cc no claim bonus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Bykobap wrote: »
    Hi

Question if i may

I am in process of getting A1 learners permit for a 125cc scooter and attending IBT.
    Once i obtain/complete these things and ring up insurance companies for cover will they accept my 50cc no claim bonus?

I once used a NCB from a 50cc moped to take out a car policy and it worked. bike for bike NCB is acceptable i would imagine.

Where can I get some engine paint the same colour as this photo? (Honda CBR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

horse7 wrote: »
    Where can I get some engine paint the same colour as this photo? (Honda CBR)

Any auto factors that does a selection of spray cans will have something close. Vinny Byrnes in Dublin or other auto paint supplier will match it and supply a can of spray paint for around €25.

Painting engines can be tricky, that one is water cooled so won't get as hot as an air cooled one but you need to make sure the area to be painted is oil and dirt free, ideally primed with etch or other suitable primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I have the final module of my IBT this week, so hopefully that's me ready to purchase.

I'm wearing out donedeal looking at bikes but obviously a lot of them are a long way from me. What's the story with getting a bike delivered? I'm very wary of my my first trip being a 200km trek.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I have the final module of my IBT this week, so hopefully that's me ready to purchase.

I'm wearing out donedeal looking at bikes but obviously a lot of them are a long way from me. What's the story with getting a bike delivered? I'm very wary of my my first trip being a 200km trek.

I've been riding years and wouldn't buy a bike that far away unless it was an absolute steal or in the UK, I'm in Kildare and only search for bikes in Leinster/uk. Most sellers will meet you half way or will travel at least, which will hopefully help. What's on your short list, no point in searching aimlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I've been riding years and wouldn't buy a bike that far away unless it was an absolute steal or in the UK, I'm in Kildare and only search for bikes in Leinster/uk. Most sellers will meet you half way or will travel at least, which will hopefully help. What's on your short list, no point in searching aimlessly.

Not that short. V strom or Versys maybe am still chopping and changing.

I suppose I could ask a potential seller about meeting me halfway or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Do you know anyone with a trailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

If you buy it.
    You could buy insurance on it and let someone else that has a bike drive it home for you? If they have driving other bikes of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Where about are you based PCe? Regardless of the distance don't let a 200KM first go put you off, you'll have a blast and it would be a great way of getting used to the bike. That kind of trek for those 2 bikes would be nothing to them.

When I got mine the first proper go on it was back from Dublin port to Monaghan and then Galway the next day. It was national roads/motorway most of the way which made it a doodle.

I'd be more hesitant getting used to a new bike on short urban rides where I have to slow down, especially taller ones like the Vstorm :pac:

Just on the flip side,as you're are probably aware I've just bought a bike.
    Didn't see the bike and didn't know the guy and I gave him a sizeable amount of money.
    I had a feeling the bike was going to be in good nick but it exceeded my expectations.
    Blew me away really.

Probably wouldn't have done the same for a bike somewhere in Ireland even off a dealer.
    Most definitely not off around 95% of dealers.

Lads,anyone know someone around Cork with a van that could drop my bike to the NCT centre in Blarney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

blade1 wrote: »
    Lads,anyone know someone around Cork with a van that could drop my bike to the NCT centre in Blarney?

There’s a Facebook page on the go called ‘Motorbike Friends Cork’ if you give them a shout they might be able to help you out.

There’s a Facebook page on the go called ‘Motorbike Friends Cork’ if you give them a shout they might be able to help you out.
    Sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Anyone here use helmet cams or have any cameras attached to there bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Bykobap

Bykobap wrote: »
    Hi

Question if i may

Apparently they will accept it.
    Yet to see though.

Anyways, I'll be getting brand new bike and it's all new and vague regarding the process of purchase, paperwork etc.

Is bartering expected? I don't know, free service after a while or some accessory thrown in to sweeten the deal ya know.

I know they have tight margins but i thought since there is couple of shops selling the same model for the exact price there must be some space for a bit of bartering to steer my cash their way.

Anything else i should be aware of re new bikes, paperwork?

Thanks lads

honda boi wrote: »
    Anyone here use helmet cams or have any cameras attached to there bikes?

I bought an SJCAM on Amazon, 4k loop record etc has 170degree angle, have it mounted on front of bike, I Tried a helmet mounted one but didn't feel comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just had to drop my bike in to JT's to get some bits and pieces checked out (oil leak above) and as it's an hour long walk from JT's to the closest bus stop, two of the lads were browsing gave me a lift all the way back to Bandon.

This is why I love the biking community, they wanted nothing in return and even turned down a pint in payment. Just doing a good deed.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »

Don't need a van anymore.
    I found the Belgian reg. no. on some paperwork that came with the bike so rang Carole Nash and they insured me.
    I was then talking to someone that told me I didn't even need a reg no.
    Apparently Carole Nash would have insured me until I got vrted just by giving them the vin no.

Advertisement