Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭listermint

horse7 wrote: »
    How much should a rectifier cost roughly (universal brand).

Paid £90 for stator on mine over a year ago. M&P Motorcycles. Also upgraded the rectifier at the same time though. So that was additional I think it was between 50 and 90 quid for that. Can't locate receipt

Edit located recipient MOSFET regulator came in at £132. Went with the MOSFET so it could take anything I was running off the bike. Heated jacket , handlebars, usb charger.

BaronVon wrote: »
    I just upgraded mine on my VFR (known problem with them). Cost me €285 from the States. I'd imagine that would be the ceiling for them.....

Any reason you paid that much. That's madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Regulator rectifiers especially on Honda's should be changed for Mosfet ones asap.
    When they go and they go regularly they can take the battery and stator out with them., this can lead to acid being dripped all over the bike as the casing splits.
    If you are handy they can be made to fit any bike, I found 2004-5 Yamaha R1 versions cheap because the fins are huge FH011 is the model I used, these are able to take any amount of power that you may feed them, I think the spec was 50 amps capacity.
    Basically any reg/rec that has FH on the stamp is a Mosfet and can be used, the only ones that are problematic to fit are certain honda models which use a proprietary plug.
    Easternbeaver sells kits for you to fit one to any bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

Great advice, I just learned the hard way. 450€ for the whole job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

At the minute crossans are talking about having to raise prices on new bikes because of the falling pound. They have no idea how brexit is going to impact on prices but its not looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

listermint wrote: »
    Any reason you paid that much. That's madness.

Supposedly the best on the market, I paid extra to have it pre-wired for my bike, and I got a voltmeter with it too. I was hoping not to get stung with the €65 customs though :mad:

I was happy enough to spend that, as the owners' group I'm in reckon it's the best one available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

BaronVon wrote: »
    Supposedly the best on the market, I paid extra to have it pre-wired for my bike, and I got a voltmeter with it too. I was hoping not to get stung with the €65 customs though :mad:

I was happy enough to spend that, as the owners' group I'm in reckon it's the best one available.

Id always go be manufacturers guarantee's rather than owners group. tbh thats alot of money for what is some electrical components. The ones for your bike should also be already wired from the manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,389 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't see any picture, Tetrarch.

I replaced my rec/reg a couple of years ago

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102740187&postcount=2438

Cost was 130 euro delivered for a MOSFET unit from electrexworld.co.uk

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Anyone here any decent German?
    Looking at getting a set of clocks for the gsx1400 but the seller is German.
    "Abdeckung gebrochen funktioniert aber 100%ig zumindest bis Ausbau."
    Google tells me it means
    "Cover broken but works 100% at least until expansion".
    No idea what the expansion bit means at the end,obviously a mess up with translation.
    Asked the seller if it works and he said it should work when "expanding".
    Ye he's obviously using Google translate aswell. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

He claims it was working 100%, before it was removed from bike.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    He claims it was working 100%, before it was removed from bike.

Thanks urban.
    Hopefully if it doesn't work I can get the money back from eBay/PayPal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

honda boi wrote: »
    Thanks urban.
    Hopefully if it doesn't work I can get the money back from eBay/PayPal.

Don't forget if you do need to send back you can claim up to €30 off PayPal for postage.

Think my Triumph will soon be going to the great City Spares in the sky... :(

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Think my Triumph will soon be going to the great City Spares in the sky... :(

Why so?

Combination of things really but this morning is the icing on the cake

It's been misfiring a bit lately sometimes when warming up, clears after a few seconds. Been running some injector cleaner through it for the last couple of tankfuls. This morning it never really cleared and I was basically down to two cylinders the rest of the way into work.

Rattly noises from the camchain
    Valve clearances need doing
    Rear shock damping is gone
    Rear linkage bearings are squeaky
    Front fork oil could do with a change and possibly new head bearings
    Front and rear brakes need a rebuild

It's an '04 with 45k miles on the clock, cosmetics are in absolute tatters though so it's worth basically nothing, and I could easily spend 2 grand on it. So I've long resigned myself to a policy of 'graceful decline' but it was at least reliable and went well - so if that's in doubt then it really is time to go.

Unfortunately I have a long history of hanging on to bikes too long and not getting rid of them before they become basically worthless

Scrap the cap!

Combination of things really but this morning is the icing on the cake

It's been misfiring a bit lately sometimes when warming up, clears after a few seconds. Been running some injector cleaner through it for the last couple of tankfuls. This morning it never really cleared and I was basically down to two cylinders the rest of the way into work.

Rattly noises from the camchain
    Valve clearances need doing
    Rear shock damping is gone
    Rear linkage bearings are squeaky
    Front fork oil could do with a change and possibly new head bearings
    Front and rear brakes need a rebuild

It's an '04 with 45k miles on the clock, cosmetics are in absolute tatters though so it's worth basically nothing, and I could easily spend 2 grand on it. So I've long resigned myself to a policy of 'graceful decline' but it was at least reliable and went well - so if that's in doubt then it really is time to go.

Unfortunately I have a long history of hanging on to bikes too long and not getting rid of them before they become basically worthless

Future classic!
    Stick it on donedeal for €4k :D

blade1 wrote: »
    Don't forget if you do need to send back you can claim up to €30 off PayPal for postage.

Won the auction .
    Thank god as the part is near impossible to get anywhere.
    Quick question for frequent eBay buyers.
    Your man's ad said it doesn't ship to Ireland.
    I messaged him and he said he would but would cost an extra €10.
    I won the ad but how would I pay him the extra €10?
    Through PayPal to his email address?

Won the auction .
    Thank god as the part is near impossible to get anywhere.
    Quick question for frequent eBay buyers.
    Your man's ad said it doesn't ship to Ireland.
    I messaged him and he said he would but would cost an extra €10.
    I won the ad but how would I pay him the extra €10?
    Through PayPal to his email address?

What part of the world is the seller in?

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    What part of the world is the seller in?

Seller is in Germany
    When I went to the payment screen now it's asking for the seller to add postage costs so I guess I just wait for him to add it.

Seller is in Germany
    When I went to the payment screen now it's asking for the seller to add postage costs so I guess I just wait for him to add it.

Yep, or send him a message if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Was chatting with one of the lads in work earlier, he's on the look out for new machine, i found it rather an odd choice, but which would you guys pick and why, Goldwing GL1800 or Hayabusa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭prunudo

Was chatting with one of the lads in work earlier, he's on the look out for new machine, i found it rather an odd choice, but which would you guys pick and why, Goldwing GL1800 or Hayabusa

Sure may as well throw a pit bike or a chopper into the mix too, just to really get opposite ends of spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

prunudo wrote: »
    Sure may as well throw a pit bike or a chopper into the mix too, just to really get opposite ends of spectrum.

Hence i found the conversation very strange.

Well the misfire cleared on the way home and it then appeared to be fine. Strange.

I even chanced stopping at the local shop* on the way home, it then started up as normal and ran fine.

All the other problems are still there of course, but these days I only commute on it, and less than 3000 miles a year - funds are tight so if I can keep it going cheaply for another year or two then I will...

* OK OK off-licence :D

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

We figured, it is Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That's crazy random. Personally I'd go with the 2019 Goldwing, but I just know I'd barely get to ride it as it's not a commuter bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Well the misfire cleared on the way home and it then appeared to be fine. Strange.

I even chanced stopping at the local shop* on the way home, it then started up as normal and ran fine.

All the other problems are still there of course, but these days I only commute on it, and less than 3000 miles a year - funds are tight so if I can keep it going cheaply for another year or two then I will...

Whats the bike Hotblack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's crazy random. Personally I'd go with the 2019 Goldwing, but I just know I'd barely get to ride it as it's not a commuter bike.
    Yah fook it why not, had a hedgeabusa before and had a love/hate relationship with it. Besides I've only time for comfy bikes these days lol.

Advertisement