Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

H_Lime wrote: »
    Ah man I haaate watching onboard footage lol. Always seems that somone else's threat assessment is a million miles apart from yer own. Have to say in both those vids I'm cringing Zubair, seems (from my sofa) like there's dangers galore your happily shooting past when over and undertaking.
    Thats a perspective from experience only mind you, I've had no real training other than the garda rider coaching.

Also whats the dealio with rockin through red lights when marshalling? Had a sneek on yer other vid:) If you wipe out somone or crash into another vehicle ya covered?

I do this route daily to be fair and don't want to say I'm comfortable with the possiible dangers because they change all the time. I'm looking out for a lot in these vids, I won't list them because it's endless but the main ones are lane changes and pedestrians.
    And a yard or two the wrong side of the continuous white line in the first video.

I was. Because it gives me a better view of people walking between cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

zubair wrote: »
    I do this route daily to be fair and don't want to say I'm comfortable with the possiible dangers because they change all the time. I'm looking out for a lot in these vids, I won't list them because it's endless but the main ones are lane changes and pedestrians.

I was. Because it gives me a better view of people walking between cars.

What bike is it Zub? For the life of me I can't figure it out from the sound. Im guessing a shaftie trip triumph or something?? It has poke!
    Btw i was looking back at some footage of me going through a town last night and i cringed at that too!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

GBX wrote: »

Jesus is that how they usually filter over there????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

honda boi wrote: »
    Jesus is that how they usually filter over there????

Thats not filtering, thats driving into on coming traffic and hoping for the best !! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Total knob...but i've seen similar here "on any sunday".....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Totally forgot about the auld panniers there he/she did, but even if no panniers you cant be doing that kinda riding...never mind with a pillion the douchebag!

H_Lime wrote: »
    What bike is it Zub? For the life of me I can't figure it out from the sound. Im guessing a shaftie trip triumph or something?? It has poke!
    Btw i was looking back at some footage of me going through a town last night and i cringed at that too!!:eek:

Good guess, mt09 tracer with a tight chain XD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

horse7 wrote: »
    Vstrom 650xt

Excellent choice :-)

I have my vstrom since 2007 and LOVE it

Vstrom 650xt

Lovely them vstorms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

How do you find the brakes, from watching utube, some people are saying that they could be better, otherwise they are as near perfect as I can find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭in2dark

How do you find the brakes, from watching utube, some people are saying that they could be better, otherwise they are as near perfect as I can find.

You will always find the ones who find smtg wrong just because they must. I have no complaints whatsoever. I have travelled twice to Germany on the bike and it was a real pleasure

Not having a good experience with mandp.co.uk
    Ordered something the 19/08 ,was told dispatched and delivered within a week.
    Today still no sign of the part.
    After emails and calls finally got through to someone who told me they had a stock issue and now they will only have the part next week,so 2 more weeks before I get the part.
    Picked this up from motorcycleshop.ie last week.
    Ordered Thursday morning,arrived Friday afternoon. Top service from them
    https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/richa-typhoon-rainsuit-blackfluroesent-1627-p.asp
    2 days in a bit of rain and my gear underneath is bone dry.

Also picked this up on Amazon
    IMG-20190901-171833.jpg IMG-20190901-171825.jpg
    Pretty happy with the quality and battery life is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,089 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Brakes could be better get good pads and disks and bleed the lines. Small improvements help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lads, what's the best way these days to actually pay for a bike?

Whether going dealer or private.

Been years since I bought one, was privately from a guy I knew well and paid by cheque...! which isn't a runner now even if I still had a cheque book.

Money will be in my current account shortly assuming the credit union play ball. We're talking a few grand here.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Been years since I bought one, was privately from a guy I knew well and paid by cheque...! which isn't a runner now even if I still had a cheque book.

Money will be in my current account shortly assuming the credit union play ball. We're talking a few grand here.

I haven't bought privately, always a dealer, it was cash but now i put it on the debit card, even at that some places still don't accept card payments, so it can be hit and miss. If it were a private purchase i assume bank transfer is the safest way? is there a come back if you have an unforeseen problem though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Private most people would expect/accept cash. Some may even bank transfer but obviously they'd need cash to clear before you take the bike.

Some dealers would take cash/transfer/paypal even.

Problem there is they still have the bike when you're waiting for them to say your money has cleared. I'd be OK with this with a dealer, but a private seller I don't know?

4 or 5k is just about doable with cash, so I probably will do that, but some people are buying privately for 10k or even well above that so I was just wondering was there a better way of doing this (online probably) which protects buyer and seller.

Scrap the cap!

Problem there is they still have the bike when you're waiting for them to say your money has cleared. I'd be OK with this with a dealer, but a private seller I don't know?

4 or 5k is just about doable with cash, so I probably will do that, but some people are buying privately for 10k or even well above that so I was just wondering was there a better way of doing this (online probably) which protects buyer and seller.

same bank transfer can take minutes though.

But handiest would be a Bank Draft. Sign it in the bank and hand it to them.

Done they can lodge it there and then and off you go

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I wouldn't be letting a bike go with a bank draft until funds are cleared. I'd say it's slower than a transfer in many cases. I'd also only be taking a bank draft from the same bank I bank with, still a chance of forged draft if your not familiar with it.

For private sale I think cash will always be king.

Last bike I sold (€9k) seller paid bank transfer, but was happy to leave it a few days anyway before he came and picked up the bike, so I was happy as a seller, and he obviously felt he could trust me. All dealings were done at my house, so he knew where I lived if anything was going to go wrong.

• Advertisement

thos wrote: »
    I wouldn't be letting a bike go with a bank draft until funds are cleared. I'd say it's slower than a transfer in many cases. I'd also only be taking a bank draft from the same bank I bank with, still a chance of forged draft if your not familiar with it.

For private sale I think cash will always be king.

Last bike I sold (€9k) seller paid bank transfer, but was happy to leave it a few days anyway before he came and picked up the bike, so I was happy as a seller, and he obviously felt he could trust me. All dealings were done at my house, so he knew where I lived if anything was going to go wrong.

you can lodge a bank draft in your account with the person standing beside you in the bank.

As i said.

Heard a few years back that there were plenty of forged bank drafts going around.

Doesn't appear we've really moved on at all in the last few years! In the age of Revolut, Paypal etc this is disappointing.

Carrying around 10k or whatever in 50s isn't very safe or practical.

Scrap the cap!

Bank draft would be the best but revolut is a good alternative if the seller has it.

I'll just have to get a ziploc bag and hide it in my prison purse :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Looking to get the major service (valve clearences etc) on my Honda hornet done now that it's approching 24k. Anyone recommend a mechanic in Dublin where they've got this done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Scotts Motorbikes in Harolds X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

Cotters in ballymount.

Do it yourself. Love an oul Valve clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

A friend who bought a bike in the UK recently use TransferWise. Said it was good: https://transferwise.com/ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Gavin wrote: »
    A friend who bought a bike in the UK recently use TransferWise. Said it was good: https://transferwise.com/ie

Used transferwise several times and found them excellent.
    Used them for a large sum for a car,no sweat.

Advertisement