Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

horse7 wrote: »
    I just bought it,has 6 month warranty.

You bought it secondhand? then the warranty might only cover the engine and gearbox, i'd be looking through the fine print of the sale agreement if you have one, the shop might replace the key in good faith but that is entirely at their discretion. Check out the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 and see does it mention anything about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is there many other keys or weights on the keychain?
    I don't have anything on my bikes keys except a very lightweight keyring the free ones you see at shows etc.
    Weight is the enemy of locks and barrels when you consider the vibration and shocks going through the key into the barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭horse7

No,just the key, some say put some graphite into the keyhole, but I think the key is just worn down because the spare works perfectly.

No,just the key, some say put some graphite into the keyhole, but I think the key is just worn down because the spare works perfectly.

How often is the key used? as you know yourself the more you use something the more wear and tear on it. Of the 2 keys on my car, they are like yours, once is crocked, the other is perfect, all due to wear and tear. The worst thing as CJ mentioned is if there are other keys attached to it, i'm guilty of that with one of my sets of keys, but i've since separated them.

I've only had it a few weeks.

• Advertisement

You did, forgive me i'm not after my mid morning coffee.

Ex AGS 1987 Dublin reg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fùck that for a game of soldiers!

blade1 wrote: »
    Fùck that for a game of soldiers!

It's secondhand

It's secondhand

Still,Must have been fairly fùcked when he bought it.
    If they are any good they'll sort him out.

I've just seen he has a spare so not so bad.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Still,Must have been fairly fùcked when he bought it.
    If they are any good they'll sort him out.

I've just seen he has a spare so not so bad.

I agree, that is my belief, that in good faith they should replace the key. He has a spare, but if that becomes fcuked then he is fcuked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Is it possible to get a spare key cut for a motorcycle (vstrom).?

I had an issue with my Honda HISS key. I think there is a chip in if. The locksmith said that if I had the key they could take the chip out of the key. Cut a new one and put the old chip in. May be worth checking with a good locksmith.

Great idea,how much did that cost?

Great idea,how much did that cost?

No idea. He was actually able to fix my key. but it was going to be a lot cheaper than the 150+ to replace a key.

Which locksmith was it?

Which locksmith was it?

Harneys in Athlone.

How does the new Brexit proposal work now if the border is the Irish Sea? Are we liable for Vat and Customs If importing from the North?

Quick question:

Rough idea - how much would one expect to pay to get an exhaust fitted on a bike?

I bought an exhaust(Delkevic -exhaust and headers) pre-brexit at a good FX rate. I need to get it fitted on my bike (2003 Honda deauville). I know it can be tricky. But how long or how much should a garage charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Quick question:

Rough idea - how much would one expect to pay to get an exhaust fitted on a bike?

I bought an exhaust(Delkevic -exhaust and headers) pre-brexit at a good FX rate. I need to get it fitted on my bike (2003 Honda deauville). I know it can be tricky. But how long or how much should a garage charge?

It's quite an easy job to be honest. Would you not do it yourself or get a mate that's handy with tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭GBX

As above, can be straightforward enough. One thing id suggest doing is putting some penetrating fluid to the bolts in advance to see if it makes any difference when removing the old ones. And make sure to get some replacement studs/bolts as well as the headers.

• Advertisement

GBX wrote: »
    As above, can be straightforward enough. One thing id suggest doing is putting some penetrating fluid to the bolts in advance to see if it makes any difference when removing the old ones. And make sure to get some replacement studs/bolts as well as the headers.

Thanks.

I was thinking about having a craic at it myself but I have been put off by stories of things not going to plan.

Unfortunately I don't have any tools, and not that handy doing stuff. So my fear is ending up with the bike taken apart , and a bolt snapped and no idea what to do. And the. Having to try and load it up in a can trailer to get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Seemed to be a good few bikes on the road this evening even compared to a July evening, also noticed a small bike meet up at the garage by spawell. Anyone on here at this? why weren't the rest of us invited?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Bigserious1

Thanks.

I was thinking about having a craic at it myself but I have been put off by stories of things not going to plan.

Unfortunately I don't have any tools, and not that handy doing stuff. So my fear is ending up with the bike taken apart , and a bolt snapped and no idea what to do. And the. Having to try and load it up in a can trailer to get it sorted.

Changed the exhaust on mine (triumph) and while it was fiddly just took my time. As long as the hangers etc are in the same spot should be handy enough.

Will give you a hand with tools if you like. Worse case is that your bike is too loud until you fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Quick question:

You already have the parts and it's not as big a job as you probably think so won't be that expensive. That said I'd be doing it myself, all you need is a couple of spanners (ratchet really) and a little bit of planning. The hardest part will be using the right amount of sealent without making a small mess. If you're a perfectionist go to the garage, ring first for a quote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Every house should have a socket set.

Go buy one of the advanced sets from Halfords.

You'll use it late into life.

listermint wrote: »

Bought a powerfix socket set in Lidl last year, cost me €80 i think, great set to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

That the one with a lifetime guarantee? Halfords tools tend to be brilliant IMO.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bladespin wrote: »
    That the one with a lifetime guarantee? Halfords tools tend to be brilliant IMO.

Ya have a set ten years now and wouldnt be without it. It's gone through countless vehicles and not missed a beat.

Just picked up my Yuasa Battery there for my Tuono.

And it was made in Japan :D

IMG-20191019-144318.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A fantastic piece of kit. I probably have mine ten years now and in that time I've only stripped one of the rachets while fitting new suspension units to my sons car (he was a little boy racer Honda Civic idiot lol), I returned it to Halfords and they replaced it immediately, no quibbles.

Its undoubtedly saved me thousands of Euro and when my son moved out I bought him one (because he's a biker now and guess who does all his work?).

Advertisement