Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You are doing fine on ur own m8.....big hello from Offenburg Germany, just using the wifi in the Roxy Bar (Google it) HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

Pics or GTFO:P

Clubs are not like this these days are they??? Start video from the beginning.

Broke down on the M4 about half an hour ago:( Red light came on dash and started loosing power. I pulled over and stopped beside a SOS phone. I had 4% battery on me phone so it didnt look good at all. I gave the bike 10 mins to cool down and started her up. It started up and I nursed it the rest of the 20 mile journey:D

Breaking down is a horrible feeling especially when you dont know anyone with a van/trailer & dont have breakdown cover. Looks like ill be tinkering with the bike again over the weekend. Ah the joys of biking:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Red is oil pressure indicator I think, worth having a look at what the filter looks like and how much oil is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Man.... Tell the missus to get you a new bike for a wedding present :D

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Red is oil pressure indicator I think, worth having a look at what the filter looks like and how much oil is in it.

Yep CJ, First thing ill do is check oil level. I know i havent the pilot screw adjusted properly because after an hours spin it idles at 1500 rpm instead of the recommended 1200 rpm. I can also notice a smell from the bike which indicated a wrong mixture.

goodlad wrote: »
    Man.... Tell the missus to get you a new bike for a wedding present :D

I can only dream. I actually woke this morning and decided I would google a cheap bike trailer. The type of thing the missus could hook up and rescue me with:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

Ok guys, can anybody explain to me who in their right minds in the county councils thinks that an acceptable way to resurface a road consists of whacking down some tar and lashing a pile of loose gravel on top? "Ah sure, it'll clean itself up" I can hear them say.
    It's always bugged me since I started driving but now I'm on a bike it gets me even more. I spin around the countryside all morning at a nice pace and then bang, I have to slow to a crawl to avoid a spill on the gravel that these halfwits decide to shovel all over the road.
    Does it happen in any other country you've been in? Wrecks my head.
    Rant over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

chiplad wrote: »
    Ok guys, can anybody explain to me who in their right minds in the county councils thinks that an acceptable way to resurface a road consists of whacking down some tar and lashing a pile of loose gravel on top? "Ah sure, it'll clean itself up" I can hear them say.
    It's always bugged me since I started driving but now I'm on a bike it gets me even more. I spin around the countryside all morning at a nice pace and then bang, I have to slow to a crawl to avoid a spill on the gravel that these halfwits decide to shovel all over the road.
    Does it happen in any other country you've been in? Wrecks my head.
    Rant over :)

I can't explain why they do it but it's not unique to Ireland, there was a petition on mcn fb page about the same thing in the uk during the week.
    It's a pain in the arse but having said that, the amount of gravel in general on the roads is crazy at the moment, you need your eyes peeled at all times.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/general-news/2014/august/petition-to-ban-surface-dressing-launched/

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    I can't explain why they do it but it's not unique to Ireland, there was a petition on mcn fb page about the same thing in the uk during the week.
    It's a pain in the arse but having said that, the amount of gravel in general on the roads is crazy at the moment, you need your eyes peeled at all times.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/general-news/2014/august/petition-to-ban-surface-dressing-launched/

Yeah, the amount of gravel on roundabouts is major the last few weeks. Do the council clean/sweep them periodically?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I've been off the bike now for about 6 weeks - various reasons (cycling to work instead of driving while the weather is good, holidays etc) so today was my first spin in AGES! hopped on, was planning a ring around the wicklow gap, got as far as hollywood and the poxy road was closed. Was annoyed and headed home. sh!theads should have known I was on my way and left the road open for me!

jameshayes wrote: »
    I've been off the bike now for about 6 weeks - various reasons (cycling to work instead of driving while the weather is good, holidays etc) so today was my first spin in AGES! hopped on, was planning a ring around the wicklow gap, got as far as hollywood and the poxy road was closed. Was annoyed and headed home. sh!theads should have known I was on my way and left the road open for me!

Could you not even access it from the valleymount road?

jvan wrote: »
    Could you not even access it from the valleymount road?

I was actually pretty fooked off anyway from roadworks and a few tractors that I had enough of a spin and headed home

jameshayes wrote: »
    I was actually pretty fooked off anyway from roadworks and a few tractors that I had enough of a spin and headed home

Nothing worse than that, you've set yourself to have a great blast on the bike and you just get slowed down and frustrated at every turn.

Finally have pretty much everything i wanted fit to the vstrom now.

Finished gett

Power commander 5
    Two Brothers Exhausts
    Givi S320 Fog Lights
    Givi S110 Power Socket
    Givi Manifold Covers
    12 volt Power Socket
    Aprilia Tuono Mirrors
    MRA tinted Screen
    HEL brake and clutch line
    Steel radiator / oil cooler covers
    Steel Chain guard
    Fork Brace
    Genmar barbacks
    650 Seat
    Lower 20mm Dogbones

14945880391_37538a8112_b.jpg

14945880611_776820c850_b.jpg

Bike looks great, can't wait to see it in the flesh. What's the idea/difference between the two power sockets?

One is just the standard 12v type socket you get in a car.
    The Givi one is their own shape connection with extension wires that you can click multiple types of USB connector to.

Most tank bags have a water proof/resistant entrance for wiring to go into. So this is for that. Can charge up stuff in the tankbag while driving if needed.

This is the socket:
    http://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Accessories/S110%20%20-Power%20Socket

This is the extension with USB connections:
    http://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Accessories/S952?o=S112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

The road surface looks very slippery and lots of road markings didn't help. I did notice you got thrown a fair distance, must have slid along the road? Hope you and the bike are ok after it. Fair play to the three guys for helping you out.

• Advertisement

Blondie919 wrote: »
    The road surface looks very slippery and lots of road markings didn't help. I did notice you got thrown a fair distance, must have slid along the road? Hope you and the bike are ok after it. Fair play to the three guys for helping you out.

Sorry should have said it aint me. Title is misleading:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Sorry should have said it aint me. Title is misleading:P

I wondered alright! I was trying to make out what the reg plates looked like. They didn't look like Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I wondered alright! I was trying to make out what the reg plates looked like. They didn't look like Irish plates.

Looks like Australia fwiw. (actually it definitely is). Roads turn to grease highways when it rains over here.

It looks like the handelbars are not pointing straight when he was taking off (or could be the profile of the camera) - that'd do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scudster

He learned the hard way that its slippy when it rains

Just an FYI, it might help someone.... this is by FAR the easiest way to pick up a bike, don't even bother trying to lift it the way instinct would tell you, this will have it up in a few seconds:

Looking for a quick answer on this one lads
    https://www.louis.eu/artikel/mirror-universal/10028412?list=11650309

Can you figure if I get a pair if I leave the quantity as 1 or should I put the quantity as 2???

I think get two..
    Product information
    Product information

MIRROR UNIVERSAL
    Universal mirror

Mirror lens: clear
    Material: Aluminium housing/ metal stem
    Type of thread: M10 x 1.25; Length 15

Also includes fastening bolts
    compatible with many Harley-Davidson models. E-approved.

Also includes adapter with left-hand thread (only right mirror)

Looking for a quick answer on this one lads
    https://www.louis.eu/artikel/mirror-universal/10028412?list=11650309

Can you figure if I get a pair if I leave the quantity as 1 or should I put the quantity as 2???

looks like that link is just singles, and they only have RHS,

these will LHS or RHS and are sold as '1pcs' so you'll need quantity 2
    https://www.louis.eu/artikel/universal-mirror/10028104?list=11646606
    https://www.louis.eu/artikel/-american-oval-mirror/10028112?list=11646606

• Advertisement

Thanks lads.

@james, the second link you supplied is more suitable. I was basically looking for a bigger mirror than I already have.

Ok I went for the oxford tank bag with an extender https://www.louis.eu/artikel/oxford-rt15t-magnetic/50000343?list=11669850

I have using a back pack especially in high winds

I also got the mirrors

Advertisement