Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

[PHP][/PHP]
    listermint wrote: »
    No you'll be grand..ive driven for weeks with leaky forks die to not noticing and time available to fix it. It won't cause any problems other than making the brake disks noisey when applied. Nice stupid squeel at the lights .

New pads needed then tho:(
    Zip tie a neatly folded rag around the top of the fork lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

No you'll be grand..ive driven for weeks with leaky forks die to not noticing and time available to fix it. It won't cause any problems other than making the brake disks noisey when applied. Nice stupid squeel at the lights .

Crap, didn’t realise that. :(

H_Lime wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]

She only had brand new pads fitted in February when she got a lash of work done, how in the name of god did the mechanic not spot it. I did ask if they needed to be done having stated she was parked up for 16/17 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

[PHP][/PHP]

Definitely

She only had brand new pads fitted in February when she got a lash of work done, how in the name of god did the mechanic not spot it. I did ask if they needed to be done having stated she was parked up for 16/17 years

Pads will be fine if new leak. If you drive on like I did pads will need swapping.

• Advertisement

Pads will be fine if new leak. If you drive on like I did pads will need swapping.

I’d say that might need swapping anyway, as per the photo, the leak is so bad the oil is dripping off the mudguard as well as the fork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I’d say that might need swapping anyway, as per the photo, the leak is so bad the oil is dripping off the mudguard as well as the fork
    Make sure to clean it off anything.

Any question of pad contamination and it's bin time. I wouldn't be riding her if she is pissing it.
    Seals can just go. Changing them as a precaution is nice but not standard practice.
    You are going to find loads like this on a bike of that vintage. Coolant lines and esp fuel lines and filter should be changed next QM:)

This is a joint project between a guy whom i have recently befriended through a V-Strom owners group, and his good friend,it's a project i will be watching with interest and hope to see it in the flesh once the cabin fever is over.

Here is Part 1

blade1 wrote: »
    Make sure to clean it off anything.

I'll be taking off the front mudguard today to get as much of the oil off as i can.

• Advertisement

Any question of pad contamination and it's bin time. I wouldn't be riding her if she is pissing it.
    Seals can just go. Changing them as a precaution is nice but not standard practice.
    You are going to find loads like this on a bike of that vintage. Coolant lines and esp fuel lines and filter should be changed next QM:)

Yeah i have a plan up my sleeve for her next week all going well. I bought her in December, and as of last night i have done 90 miles since then, 3 miles between Christmas week and the start of January, just around my locality and then it went to the workshop on January 7th, got it back about a month later and the rest of the mileage has been done in that time. All the coolant lines and radiator have been replaced in the last month. Fuel lines as well. Fuel filter is part of the next plan. she has just turned 18000 miles which is great on a 1999 bike. The only thing that i don't know the condition of is the headstock and swing arm bearings, the rear shock looks in good condition. If the pads need doing again they will be done, the bike won't be left wanting for anything where possible.

I'll be taking off the front mudguard today to get as much of the oil off as i can.

And tidy up those fork lowers, they're a disgrace :pac:
    Hammerite smooth silver should do the job ;)

And tidy up those fork lowers, they're a disgrace :pac:
    Hammerite smooth silver should do the job ;)

Forgot about those :P :pac:

Sounds like a good recommendation there :D

Big thanks to An Post :D

E1715-B23-7447-4047-B341-7-CB4-A22-EF95-A.jpg

E1715-B23-7447-4047-B341-7-CB4-A22-EF95-A.jpg

I've not used them yet. The ability to set up the angle is appealing tho!

I've not used them yet. The ability to set up the angle is appealing tho!

I’m unsure on whether to fit them myself or not. It’s my second purchase from them? All of my coolant hoses were replaced using the same brand, zero complaints.

Probably for a neighbour 3 or 4 doors down :pac:

I’m unsure on whether to fit them myself or not. It’s my second purchase from them? All of my coolant hoses were replaced using the same brand, zero complaints.

If you have doubts then best not. If they were plug and play it would easier but they need nipping up just so, if this virus shyte wasn't on I'm sure blade or myself could have done it for ya.

If you have doubts then best not. If they were plug and play it would easier but they need nipping up just so, if this virus shyte wasn't on I'm sure blade or myself could have done it for ya.

Yeah that’s what’s throwing me off chancing it.

I appreciate that :) some decent folk around here.

Are you and others up for a trip out once all this is over? I know blade1 has made similar plans elsewhere.

Yeah that’s what’s throwing me off chancing it.

I appreciate that :) some decent folk around here.

Are you and others up for a trip out once all this is over? I know blade1 has made similar plans elsewhere.
    Hey, my opportunity for two wheeled craic is pretty minimal. Like yourself there's the kids (but not as many as you have!:pac:)
    If you are going to do them yourself watch some tutorials and take your time.

• Advertisement

Hey, my opportunity for two wheeled craic is pretty minimal. Like yourself there's the kids (but not as many as you have!:pac:)
    If you are going to do them yourself watch some tutorials and take your time.

Like myself :pac: once the good weather comes in I get 4 hours or thereabouts on a Sunday, maybe an hour or two during the week, that’s with 7, when number 8 comes along in a few weeks I don’t expect it to change much, myself and the wife give equal treatment in those regards, she’ll get her nights out and I’ll get my ride outs.

I’m studying videos on YouTube and my Haynes manual at the minute while the childer ate dinner

Well that deteriorated quickly l. Discs are covered in oil so naturally the pads with less than 100 miles are toast

EEEFFD99-64-BB-46-C2-8-C55-B169-EDC0-E6-A0.jpg

Well that deteriorated quickly l. Discs are covered in oil so naturally the pads with less than 100 miles are toast

EEEFFD99-64-BB-46-C2-8-C55-B169-EDC0-E6-A0.jpg

You sure that's fork oil?
    Didn't think fork oil would leak like that out of standard forks unless you were pushing them up and down.
    It's definitely coming out where the stanchion meets the dust seal yeah?

You sure that's fork oil?
    Didn't think fork oil would leak like that out of standard forks unless you were pushing them up and down.
    It's definitely coming out where the stanchion meets the dust seal yeah?

Yeah definitely fork oil, a bike mechanic said they are ‘leaking badly’

The seals and whatever else is in the forks has never been changed, that on top of how long it was idle.

It’s mostly coming from the right fork leg, the left is leaking as well but not as bad. Mudguard, disc,pads,wheel are all covered in it. Only after using it last night did it get like this, some of the most neglected roads in Cork City are on my doorstep.

Yeah definitely fork oil, a bike mechanic said they are ‘leaking badly’

The seals and whatever ride is in the forks has never been changed, that on top of how long it was idle.

It’s mostly coming from the right fork leg, the left is leaking as well but not as bad. Mudguard, disc,pads,wheel are all covered in it. Only after using it last night did it get like this, some of the most neglected roads in Cork City are on my doorstep.

Ah right.
    Didn't realise you had used the bike.

Ah right.
    Didn't realise you had used the bike.

Yeah had to get a few essentials last night so took the bike. I did get warned that all of this could happen, not so much down to neglect but down to age and non use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well my RH fork isn't so much leaky as empty! Makes a 'need more lubrication' noise when pumping the suspension at a standstill. I wasn't going to be riding it more than a few km once a week as things stand, but now I won't be riding it at all until I get this sorted. Will be looking at replacing fork bushes as well as the seals and dust seals.

Riding too fast over speed humps blew the rear shock on my previous bike, this is a much cheaper and easier fix, and maybe I'll learn :pac:

If it's only a dribble of oil then it's fine but on mine it splashed all over the place and gave the brake disc on that side a good coating! So I'll be cleaning that off and replacing the pads. Might bite the bullet and just replace the discs as well, they are serviceable but not in the first flush of youth. Then there's the 14 year old brake lines...

A previous bike of mine blew the head gasket and oil got into the coolant. I DIYed the head gasket and flushed out the coolant but didn't realise that the oil had already eaten into the hoses, over the next while they blew one after the other :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can anyone tell me how long a no-claims lasts in Ireland?

I was insured for a year with CN a year or 2 ago. Moved back to Canada though and I always debate moving home again, and maybe bringing the bike back (I brought my BMW home last time).

New bike is much larger though, 1860cc, and with the glorious way that the insurance companies work in Ireland, my fear is my premium would be horrific, or they might not even insure me at all!

I get pangs of anxiety thinking about this stuff, even with no solid plans.

I think it's usually 2 years these days.
    Used to be 3.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long a no-claims lasts in Ireland?

I was insured for a year with CN a year or 2 ago. Moved back to Canada though and I always debate moving home again, and maybe bringing the bike back (I brought my BMW home last time).

New bike is much larger though, 1860cc, and with the glorious way that the insurance companies work in Ireland, my fear is my premium would be horrific, or they might not even insure me at all!

I get pangs of anxiety thinking about this stuff, even with no solid plans.

Motorcycle insurance in Ireland isn't actually that bad tbh. It's quite reasonable.

We used to have a thread for it but it was swiped away off to some insurance sub forum by an eager mod.

Advertisement