Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Finally got the new mirrors adjusted, well 95%:o My old mirrors had a ball joint which could be adjusted with ease. The new mirrors can only be adjusted left/right & up/down which makes it awkward.

Quick one for you lads. I followed the instructions on the Holts carb cleaner spray can and sprayed around the carb links which increased the engine rpm. When I removed the air filter & sprayed into the airbox the engine rpm did not increase. Is this a problem? Surely spraying the carb cleaner directly into the airbox should increase the engine rpm?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I spend about half an hour trying to adjust my mirrors and couldn't get them right. I now don't use mirrors anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Quick one for you lads. I followed the instructions on the Holts carb cleaner spray can and sprayed around the carb links which increased the engine rpm. When I removed the air filter & sprayed into the airbox the engine rpm did not increase. Is this a problem? Surely spraying the carb cleaner directly into the airbox should increase the engine rpm?
    Sounds like an air leak in the manifold area, are all the clamps tight and carbs seated properly?
    If they are then check the rubbers for cracks.
    You may have to look hard to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Cienciano wrote: »
    I spend about half an hour trying to adjust my mirrors and couldn't get them right. I now don't use mirrors anymore.
    Oberon bar-end mirrors are the solution to your conundrum

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sounds like an air leak in the manifold area, are all the clamps tight and carbs seated properly?
    If they are then check the rubbers for cracks.
    You may have to look hard to see them.

Im 100% sure the carbs are not seated correctly:( I kinda of bent one of them slightly when removing them last time. It would also account for the fuel smell when I come to a stop:o I must double check if I connected up all hoses last time I refitted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

If anyone is looking for some cleaning stuff. Halfords have 3 for 2 on most of the stuff.

Just picked up some wash, cleaner and wax. Already looking forward to the nice weather tomorrow and give the bike a proper clean!

Seen this on biker and thought someone here might find it handy.

75% off Tools Sat 6th Sept. 10am - 3pm
    http://www.efox.ie

I gave them a buzz and its walk in only. No list of anything that will be on sale unfortunately but i would guess its a lot of stuff.

Gonna try pickup a socket/wrench Set, allen keys and screw drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Might fly over myself and see if there is a bargain to be had.....might go in the cage in case there are bargains galore!!!

DLMA23 wrote: »
    Oberon bar-end mirrors are the solution to your conundrum

It's bar end mirrors I have the problem with! They fold in, I've given up and just leave them permanently folded in now.

I have some family members that use this site without any problems. I know its cheap but for the likes of foot pegs & cargo nets and the sort it could be ok. Shipping could be a few weeks though

http://www.tinydeal.com/motorcycle-apparel-c-604_1217_1218.html

http://www.tinydeal.com/motorcycle-lighting-c-604_1217_1219.html

http://www.tinydeal.com/motorcycle-accessories-c-604_1217_1300.html

• Advertisement

Was bringing the bike into the garage after my spin and caught the footpeg on the door, ****in thing BROKE clean off!!! Need to get new set now and a clutch cable.

T'was great to get out for a spin today in the Vstrom. Was my first proper blast on it. Only really done boring straight line commuting until today. Roll on the next spin.

goodlad wrote: »
    T'was great to get out for a spin today in the Vstrom. Was my first proper blast on it. Only really done boring straight line commuting until today. Roll on the next spin.

We went the long way home and ended up doing the N52, could not resist as it was such a nice day. Had to take it handy enough with the clutch cable being on the edge but it was a nice day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

New bike themed tattoo! Done in Tallaght Ink.

So ive been looking at getting a new back protector one.

I currently have the Knox Aegis and it was nice and tight oroiginally but kinda crap now. Its tight around the waste but the chest protector just moves around a lot as does the upper part of the spine protector.

Looking for a vest type that will stay in place and looking at this.

http://www.planet-knox.com/en/product/track-motorcycle-vest-with-back-protector/

There is an optional upgrade for a better chest protector that i would deffo add in.

Has anyone recommendations for other similar armor?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That looks cool, better than the ones with straps that move around, they always look annoying to me. This might be more comfortable and practical.

Not cheap though!

Yeah man, the current one has straps and moves a lot.
    Tbh its fine when wearing leathers and they keeps it in place. But once I have a textile jacket on it moves far too much.

Going to drop them a mail and ask for a discount code.
    Also gotta get better info on sizing. Not sure if they want you to measure your chest size when you have exhaled or inhaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

So ive been looking at getting a new back protector one.

I currently have the Knox Aegis and it was nice and tight oroiginally but kinda crap now. Its tight around the waste but the chest protector just moves around a lot as does the upper part of the spine protector.

Looking for a vest type that will stay in place and looking at this.

http://www.planet-knox.com/en/product/track-motorcycle-vest-with-back-protector/

There is an optional upgrade for a better chest protector that i would deffo add in.

Has anyone recommendations for other similar armor?

Mine is on its way out too, the straps are getting really loose, I think its the backpack moving about stretching them, although I've had it 4 years so I've got my wear out of it! That Aegis one looks class.. I might have to treat myself soon!

I've mailed Knox and asked for more info on sizing for the track vest and asked for a coupon code.

If a few people were interested in these we could try do a small group buy and see if they are willing to give a better discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

have had an aegis for years now, and wear it every time Im on the bike - mine doesnt move around at all :confused: Have the shoulder straps as short as possible, and haul the kidney straps are tight as possible - doesnt budge on me! no chest protector mind

• Advertisement

I have the original ageis one and its perfect. Does not move around at all with or without leathers, I also have the older vest one with the chest and back protector built in and they are brilliant but in the warm weather you are in bits as it does not breath, very handy in the winter all the same.

Gary if you wanna try on the knox vest I have here no probs I can wear it out next spin and you can size it. Its a tad small on me so might be bang on for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

https://www.warmshowers.org/

A mate just told me about this. Its aimed at cyclists and motorbikers - basically like "couchsurfing". Cyclists who tour often find it difficult to get accommodation as they are dirty and need to securely store their bikes. This site lets you find accommodation, or volunteer to house people on bike tours. Basically give them a warm shower and a bed and maybe something to eat. Looks like a cool community that could come in handy one day!

And down goes the V-Strom. Minor damage and a soar leg :(

Ahhh **** man, what happened....thats piss poor news Gary!

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

A balls gary. It looked very cleran in the pics and was looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

What happened? Did you get it on the drift?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its a heavy enough bike to pick back up too, glad its only a sore leg you have, what happened?

Other driver heard the noise of it panicked and lost control, taught it was an apache helicopter landing on the roof!!!!!

Ah it was a low speed crash. Not gonna slap details of it on a forum.

I was standing there looking at the bike thinking how the hell I'm gonna pick it up. Some chap pulled in and asked if i wanted it picked up for me and just grabbed the bike by the bars and the pannier rack and lift the thing like it was a feather.. haha! So thanks to that dude!

Its all with the Insurance companies now so will see how it goes.

From my own inspection of damage there is Mirror, brake lever, hand guard, fog lights, small plastic vent bit on front fairing, back peg, back box and the forks are deffo out of alignment too. I doubt they are bent, i think they just need to be slackened off and tightened back up.

I know the insurance have their own approved repair people and i think my local lad is one of them. He is away until next Tuesday so will have him look over the bike then for me and see what the insurance dude says when he comes to look at the bike.

Ah it was a low speed crash. Not gonna slap details of it on a forum.

I was standing there looking at the bike thinking how the hell I'm gonna pick it up. Some chap pulled in and asked if i wanted it picked up for me and just grabbed the bike by the bars and the pannier rack and lift the thing like it was a feather.. haha! So thanks to that dude!

Its all with the Insurance companies now so will see how it goes.

From my own inspection of damage there is Mirror, brake lever, hand guard, fog lights, small plastic vent bit on front fairing, back peg, back box and the forks are deffo out of alignment too. I doubt they are bent, i think they just need to be slackened off and tightened back up.

I know the insurance have their own approved repair people and i think my local lad is one of them. He is away until next Tuesday so will have him look over the bike then for me and see what the insurance dude says when he comes to look at the bike.

**** news Goodlad. Your correct about posting details on the net for the moment. Please tell me you had your camera recording?

• Advertisement

That's poxy goodlad, hopefully it's not going to cost you much.
    Just in case you don't know, I'll leave this here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUtlUnCeiw&feature=player_detailpage#t=29

Advertisement