Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Any of you good gents ever use this stuff?

1-CB9-BC2-B-01-EB-472-F-B379-C171866444-C9.jpg

listermint wrote: »
    All of these things are on my bike, I killed the Stator on it. There is a high chance your Stator may have a burnt coil or will have one soon.

It should not be eating through batteries, if it is they are not being charged fully.

I had to swap out my Stator and upgrade to a Mosfet regulator. This was after 2 years ownership of the bike. The removed stator had burnt out coils on one side when i took it out. Similar to you the bike was giving me some jip for a few weeks with battery on and off and on and off. One day just died at the side of the road on a home commute.

You may get away with just Mosfet regulator but it looks similar to mine tbh.

It seems to be running fine now again thankfully, having been out on it 3 days in a row. The battery is only going to 75/80 as some of the cells may have died from lack of use. I’ll definitely look into the stator and see if it is the issue. Coils are there since new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It seems to be running fine now again thankfully, having been out on it 3 days in a row. The battery is only going to 75/80 as some of the cells may have died from lack of use. I’ll definitely look into the stator and see if it is the issue. Coils are there since new.

Even with lack of use it should not be dying after a year. Lack of charging and heavy drain would kill it.

I know the bike, she’s well looked after. I wonder would i be lucky :pac: https://goraffleit.com/raffle/gsxr-1000-k7-1588758977

listermint wrote: »
    Even with lack of use it should not be dying after a year. Lack of charging and heavy drain would kill it.

Lack of charging I’m guilty of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lack of charging I’m guilty of.

What brand was it?
    Plenty ****e batteries out there as well.

blade1 wrote: »
    What brand was it?
    Plenty ****e batteries out there as well.

Yuasa, it was supplied/fitted by Lee Motorcycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I know the bike, she’s well looked after. I wonder would i be lucky :pac: https://goraffleit.com/raffle/gsxr-1000-k7-1588758977
    Just bought a ticket.
    Worth a punt for €20.

Yuasa, it was supplied/fitted by Lee Motorcycles.

It was probably you so :D

You ass ah!! :pac:

blade1 wrote: »
    It was probably you so :D

You ass ah!! :pac:

Ffs didn’t look at it like that :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement

Just bought a ticket.
    Worth a punt for €20.

Can’t go wrong really if you win. I thought I seen another bike he has for sale as well but maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

New paddock stand for the busa

D472657-C-4-E31-4-AE6-9-E5-B-C48-D7-C223-E6-F.jpg

8100-FF98-B49-B-418-A-845-E-4-EF0-CA673-CBF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

New paddock stand for the busa

D472657-C-4-E31-4-AE6-9-E5-B-C48-D7-C223-E6-F.jpg

8100-FF98-B49-B-418-A-845-E-4-EF0-CA673-CBF.jpg

Like it qman!

H_Lime wrote: »
    Like it qman!

A Q-Tech for The QMan :pac:

Anyone know of/bought from this crowd? I need leathers and came across them. The textile gear I had kept ripping.

https://www.dublinleather.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I do some volunteer work, and I had an essential spin to do last night, so decided to take the Fazer to get some more time on it. It was the longest spin since i got it at about 120km. Just under 2 hrs in total on motorway, twisty national roads and bumpy mountain roads, so have some more thoughts on it.

It's comfy, and the higher screen definitely makes a difference. The sit up and beg position allows for lots of visibility and it's like sitting in an armchair. My hands did get cold tho - i had my gloves on, and it was about 10-12 degrees, so I wonder if the fairing directs the air towards the hands - i have heated grips to go on the bike, but might look at some hand guards to protect from wind chill.

The handling is fine when not challenged, but, on bumpy roads it get's overloaded and squirrelly. Adjusting a line mid corner when bumpy was 'interesting'. (They were pretty big bumps!) This could be due to the fact that the suspension probably needs a refresh after 45k. I'll look at options here, but possibly valve emulators or r6 fully adjustable forks could be the way to go. Rear shock will also be replaced to suit my riding. The tyres are starting to feather on the front, and square off on the rear, so will need to be changed soon too.

The motor is fine. As per previous posts, it's flat compared to previous big bikes I've had, but, when revved can enable 'progress' quite easily. Using the gearbox and engine speed to dictate corner speed on some twisty roads was quite pleasant, although having to drop a gear or two for overtakes is something that I will have to get used to.

No idea on fuel consumption yet, haven't used a full tank, but I'm up at about 200 km since I filled it. Will see how much more i get with the quarter tank left in it.

It was starting to get dark when I was coming home, and the headlights are pants. The single beam looks to be pointing quite low, so will look at adjusting that. It was twilight, so will try another night time spin. The dual headlight mod can put too much load on the electrical system (which is supposed to be weak enough), so another option is to try LED headlight bulbs - ill read up on them. I do have auxiliary lights coming this week, which should also help.

I may look at fitting the auxiliary lights along with the heated grips and scottoiler this weekend.

No pictures in this thread - I did stop to take one overlooking Newry from the Cooley mountains (fabulous backdrop) but my hands were tool cold to be bothered, so i just went home instead! I'll take some next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

lennymc wrote: »
    I do some volunteer work, and I had an essential spin to do last night, so decided to take the Fazer to get some more time on it. It was the longest spin since i got it at about 120km. Just under 2 hrs in total on motorway, twisty national roads and bumpy mountain roads, so have some more thoughts on it.

It's comfy, and the higher screen definitely makes a difference. The sit up and beg position allows for lots of visibility and it's like sitting in an armchair. My hands did get cold tho - i had my gloves on, and it was about 10-12 degrees, so I wonder if the fairing directs the air towards the hands - i have heated grips to go on the bike, but might look at some hand guards to protect from wind chill.

That has been my experience as well. Always decide ah look its not too cold today, don't need the big winter gloves then come home with frozen fingers...I have the heated grips but rarely turn them on as I don't notice the cold hands until I stop and its too late:cool:

Great stuff Lenny, sounds like your liking your new bus!
    If the brakes are good I always do suspension next anf then powah!!

H_Lime wrote: »
    Great stuff Lenny, sounds like your liking your new bus!
    If the brakes are good I always do suspension next anf then powah!!

brakes are good and strong, abs, and recently refreshed (i may do the braided lines tho)

I am liking it. Who needs powah.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Long time lads.

Can anyone recommend a decent battery charger for a Yamaha Dragstar 650 (2001).

Hasnt been used much, got her up and going a week or so ago but the battery died at a Garda checkpoint. It's home now but not quite turning over.

batterytenders have always worked well for me. You can wire in a quick connection so you can leave it on trickle

I use the cheapo ALDI ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Digital compressor £15 sterling delivered. I have one (from China, cost about €20) and find it great. Flat, so easy to store/pack.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/pro-user-portable-12v-250psi-digital-programmable-tyre-air-compressor-pump-BB-AC120

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Digital compressor £15 sterling delivered. I have one (from China, cost about €20) and find it great. Flat, so easy to store/pack.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/pro-user-portable-12v-250psi-digital-programmable-tyre-air-compressor-pump-BB-AC120
    Handy packable shape that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

Esel wrote: »

Looks good, but sold out, and couldn't find it anywhere else. A few lookalikes online, but on closer inspection they're bulkier.

Wonder if it's possible to get a small hand pump, like a bicycle pump, but with the bigger valve connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

Scratch that. Found and ordered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Breezin wrote: »
    Wonder if it's possible to get a small hand pump, like a bicycle pump, but with the bigger valve connection.
    I used a bicycle pump for years, the standard (Schrader) connector fits.

Not your ornery onager

Try getting the knee down on this! :pac:

Screenshot-20200513-191900.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sooo while chipping away on the bike, removing the rear seat and saddle bags so I can get ready to either replace or keep them off I noticed something a bit off with my rear tire.

I knew there was a "loose spoke" as I was told when the bike was serviced back in October, but this is a bit ****ing much more than loose.

How screwed am I?

Advertisement